AccuPower IQ-328 AA/AAA Charger -- Nice... and Smart!!

Verndog

Enlightened
I wanted to put out some info on this new charger I've been looking at the last few weeks as there is not much info in the US on it. The charger is German design and has been selling in Europe and the UK for I believe a little less then a year. I found a bunch of reviews on it on Amazon UK and they were very good. Those can be seen here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I own several high end hobby chargers, and a LaCrosse BC500 for AA-AAA rechargeables, and several other various chargers including 2 Tenergy chargers. The LaCrosse charger lasted 1 year and the display went bad, still works but irritating to look at. This is a known issue with BC500 and 700 along with other issues from them steered me another direction. The Maha's seem to have other issues including interface that forces many selections I didn't care for...so here I am. This charger is just starting to sell in the US, in fact I may be one of the first before "Nele the engineer" Amazon guru even. :D

On with the specs and pics.

AccuPower IQ-328

AccuPower fast charger with capacity display, discharge function and LCD-display for AAA/Micro, AA/Mignon NiMH rechargeable batteries
The intelligent fast-charger with LCD display for AAA/Micro/LR03 and Mignon/AA

• For all Micro/AAA / Mignon/AA NiMH and NiCd rechargebale batteries
  • Capacity max. 3500mAh
  • Single channel control (x4)
  • Charge current adjustable: 200, 500, 700 and 1000mA for 1-4 batteries or 1800mA for 1-2 batteries
  • Discharge function to prevent from memory-effect (.9 volt cutoff)
  • Microprocessor control, precise measurement of the -dV charging signal
  • Trickle charging automatically after charge end
  • Overheating control = safety for your storage battieries
  • Special care program to regenerate damaged batteries (because of charge / discharge cycles)
  • Battery test for nearly real values
  • Capacity measurement for 1-4 Mignon/AA or Micro/AA
Technical details

• Input voltage: 100-240 VAC

• Charge current (adjustable): 200, 500, 700mA, 1000mA for 1-4 batteries, 1800mAh for 1-2 batteries

• Discharge current: max. 500mA

• Capacity limit: max. 3500mAh

• Dimensions (LxBxH): 130x83x35mm

• Weight: 129 gramm

• 2 years guaranty

AccuPower-1.jpg

AccuPower-2.jpg

Here you can see the thermal protection / heat sensor. This cuts off at 55C / 131F

AccuPower-3.jpg

Hitting Display you can view Time / mah input or discharged / charge voltage / cell voltage at anytime without cycle interruption.

AccuPower-4.jpg

AccuPower-5.jpg

I am very impressed with this charger, and it was only $29.99 on Amazon. It's much better build quality then the LaCrosse that was $34.00 a year ago, has more power and options, better display information, and does everything you will need a AA-AAA charger to do. The charger is larger, better venting, thermal protected, more display information and size, and more solid buttons.

One very smart feature I like, is you can put 1 cell in and press current to select the amps to charge at then add another cell and repeat...or, just put all 4 in and do it once to keep all 4 the same. You can also do the same with the mode...discharge 2 and charge 2 the same way. By default it will charge at .2 amps, so if you do nothing it will just slow charger.

I ran some cell tests and compared the numbers to the cells previously tested in a high end hobby charger (Team Checkpoint 10amp) and the LaCrosse and the mah is very accurate...less then 3% difference on 3 cells.

Any question feel free to ask...

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a bunch of Amazon reviews and more than one mentioned that if you load a recently fully-charged battery it can begin charging that battery, resulting in meltdowns, perhaps fires.
Would be nice to know they squashed that bug..

there's a couple at amazon us, one cheaper than the other,

Accupower Accu-manager 2010 AA-AAA Battery Charger Charges Nimh, Nicd, or Ram Batteries $19.97

Product Features
The rechargeable batteries can be left in the charger for a longer period of time, as overcharging of the batteries is not possible
Batteries can also be charged individually. Interruptions and additions can be made at any time during the charging procedure.
1-4 batteries can be charged simultaneously. Combination of sizes and battery chemistry is also allowed.
An adapter for a 120V/60Hz wall outlet and for a 12 Volt automobile electrical supply system is included with the charger.
The unit contains electronic reverse battery protection and rejects batteries with reverse polarity. If a battery is defective, the corresponding LED will remain off.

AccuPower LCD Fast Charger IQ328 for AA / AAA batteries $34.27

Product Features
Charges 4 AA or AAA, NiMH or NiCd rechargeable batteries simultaneously
Four independent channels each battery charged and monitored separately
LCD shows capacity for each battery when discharge/test/charging is complete
Automatically detects defective batteries Overheat detection to protect batteries
Test your batteries for actual capacity and restore old batteries.

Last edited:

Verndog

Enlightened
Looks like a cloned BC-1000.

Cloned would usually mean the same, jus re-badged. It's not. Display is different, no cell select available or required (auto select with cell insertion), select buttons are re ordered...ect. It does share many similarities, but is also half the cost.

Verndog

Enlightened
I read a bunch of Amazon reviews and more than one mentioned that if you load a recently fully-charged battery it can begin charging that battery, resulting in meltdowns, perhaps fires.
Would be nice to know they squashed that bug..

I provided a link to all the reviews I found on Amazon on this charger and saw nothing about missed termination or meltdown. It also has thermal protection so I'd say this is unlikely. I've topped off cells already on it and have not seen it miss termination yet. I'll try more...but possibly these issues are a different charger? Can you post a link to this problem found?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I provided a link to all the reviews I found on Amazon on this charger and saw nothing about missed termination or meltdown. It also has thermal protection so I'd say this is unlikely. I've topped off cells already on it and have not seen it miss termination yet. I'll try more...but possibly these issues are a different charger? Can you post a link to this problem found?

http://www.amazon.com/review/RT32UA...0NPE59E&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

"On the other hand, the problem you experienced may have been a design flaw in the product. I did notice in the charger manual's troubleshooting section that new NiMH cells may overheat on the first charge. While it is documented, it's in a location one might not read. I know i often don't read the troubleshooting section unless i just can't get the product to work, so it could easily be overlooked. This seems to me to be a design flaw in the product. Overheating cells can permanently damage them. Smart chargers are supposed to avoid this. TheMaha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger and Analyzerdoesn't do this, and seems to be a generally superior charger (for AA and AAA NiMH/NiCad cells; it doesn't do C, D or 9v, nor Alkaline rechargeables, nor have a solar option, however). For what it's worth, Thomas Distributing is a reliable vendor (i've bought from them before)..."

somebody else wrote: "...The problem with both chargers was the overheating of some batteries, which the "Smart Charging" technologies are suppose to prevent. When I charge batteries I always keep a small fan blowing on the charger at all times because I have found this keeps things "cool" and when one becomes "warm-to-hot", then you know for sure it is the charger..."

OK? That said, it looks like a really cool charger, I don't feel the overheating will be an issue more than very rarely, it seems very nicely made, and I would definitely buy one.

Last edited:

Verndog

Enlightened
OK? That said, it looks like a really cool charger, I don't feel the overheating will be an issue more than very rarely, it seems very nicely made, and I would definitely buy one.

Those reviews are an entirely different "Fast Charger"...the AP2020 AccuManager 20 Super Fast Charger. That charger also does NOT have the Thermal detection / Shutoff system that the IQ328 I'm reviewing does. Also it charges AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V. Personally I would avoid any fast charger that claims 1/2 hour charging. It's very hard on cells, and yes can overheat cells that are in poor condition.

I have now recharged 20 batteries that ranged from 1/2 full to just charged and topped off (to see if it will overcharge), and tested many more. This charger terminates perfectly every time with everything I've throw at it. I charge AA @ .7amps, and AAA @ .5 amps. I have not seen a battery go over 107F yet, and the charger itself keeps considerably cooler then the LaCrosse it's replacing.

Here are 4 cells that are 14 months old that just came off in test mode. Test mode charges, discharges (to test actual mah), then recharges. All were barely warm to the touch, and cells were full when it started in charge mode. These are 800 (.750 min.) mah LSD cells, and all tested perfectly.

AccuPower-6.jpg

mccririck

Enlightened
Argh, what a pain. I was just about to order. It's not available on amazon.co.uk either now.

Verndog

Enlightened
Wow...there was just 27 left when I last looked yesterday at that add, now all sold out??

I found them on Ebay for $31.00 and free shipping.

I think these are just making it over to the US. Mine the box was mostly written in German, but the directions were in English. Someone else posted a review on his and his box was written in English. Wouldn't worry about the box though, instruction book was good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AccuPower-IQ328-Battery-Charger-Analyzer-Tester-AA-AAA-/320749631694?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item4aae2af8ce

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
These have been available in America for at least a year, as my Maha and LaCrosse dealer also is an AccuPower dealer. I ended up buying the Maha C9000 and the La Crosse BC-700 from him last January, but considered the AccuPower IQ 328. I thought at the time, it was very similar to the BC 900, almost a 'clone.'

'rdana' is my dealer on Ebay, for anybody wondering. His prices were pretty good at the time. $44 shipped right now.

Chris

Verndog

Enlightened
These have been available in America for at least a year, as my Maha and LaCrosse dealer also is an AccuPower dealer.

Thanks Chris. When I bought my LaCrosse around a year ago i never came across the IQ328 after researching a bunch of options. I have a feeling they must limit their US distribution then because there are very few reviews here, but quite a few in other countries.

When I searched for the charger after the Amazon supply went dead, I saw they are for sale at Sears for $68.00! :eek:. So they are out there...somewhere.

Verminator

Newly Enlightened
I've read good things about this charger as well. One question I have though....is the LCD display backlit or no? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't, and if not, that is a real shame given the good reviews and features of this charger. The backlight is a deal breaker for me. I love the backlit display on the MH-C9000...not sure I could go to another charger that doesn't have that.

mccririck

Enlightened
These have been available in America for at least a year, as my Maha and LaCrosse dealer also is an AccuPower dealer. I ended up buying the Maha C9000 and the La Crosse BC-700 from him last January, but considered the AccuPower IQ 328. I thought at the time, it was very similar to the BC 900, almost a 'clone.'

'rdana' is my dealer on Ebay, for anybody wondering. His prices were pretty good at the time. $44 shipped right now.

Chris

I'm sure it was about £22 shipped on amazon.co.uk when it was in stock, which is about $35. I hope they're back in stock soon.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read good things about this charger as well. One question I have though....is the LCD display backlit or no? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't, and if not, that is a real shame given the good reviews and features of this charger. The backlight is a deal breaker for me. I love the backlit display on the MH-C9000...not sure I could go to another charger that doesn't have that.

The display is definitely does not have a backlight. I know because I have an IQ-328 charger. Like everything else in life, you make choices, For me the value of the backlight is nowhere near the difference in cost between the Maha C-9000 and IQ-328 price differential. I paid $31 for mine including shipping.

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
me too; $31.45 pp. the lcd print on my maha c801d is too tiny to read anyway..the IQ print is BIG. I hope.

Last edited:

lwien

Newly Enlightened
Currently available on Amazon for 29.97 (as of right now).............free shipping. 9 in stock.