Your HiFi

harro

Enlightened
Do you like to listen to good music ( doesnt matter what ).
Do you then play that music on nice HiFi gear ( commercial or custom stuff ).
What do you use?
For mine, its as follows;
Yamaha single cd ( before they went all volume market )
DAB+Digital/FM tuner
NAD Integrated 85w + 85w RMS @8Ohm amp
Electus Concorde Interconnects and speaker connects
Custom Tasmanian Blackwood 40 lt floorstanding enclosures, housing;
Three way VISATON CLASSIC 200 speakers,
200mm aluminium cone driver
100mm titanium cone driver
25mm ferrofluid cooled ceramic dome tweeter
Custom xover 12db@700hz, 18db@2500hz
150wrms per side
Damped and front porting
Just a nice small/mid sized commercial/custom hybrid system that gets the wife complaining if the vol knob gets anything over about the 10 o'clock position.

:wave:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
alessandro ms1 headphones, with an diy tube amp that i bought cheaply decade ago in some auction. (as i showed it to someone in the "know" of these things he approved it, said it has quality components and good sound)

never really listened music at home. i always spent my money on my car audio stuff. (but even that faded about 5 years ago.. that said, now im thinking about re-entering the hobby)

--likely i will do some simple new speakers to home soon. just to improve the pathetic sound the flat tv makes on its own. not sure if i should get active speakers or just do some diy and build my own monitors. i was thinking about either Peerless 2" tymphany fullrange speakers + dayton rs180 7" mids. or i will use the daytons +seas 27tff tweets. (and using an old Nad 2 channel amp)

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
All kinds of music, but favorites tend to run toward big band, classic rock, and metal. And lots of KidzBop this year.

Tascam 202MKII Cassette Deck
Marantz ST-59 Tuner
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-Ray
Backup to HP Media Drive in hand-built PC with ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
Music Hall CD25.2 CD
Emotiva XDA-1 D/A Converter
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, currently running premium-grade cryo-treated Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 tubes
YBA 2 Alpha High-Current Amplifier
Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 Speakers
Harmonic Tech OCC Single Crystal interconnect and speaker cables.

Ben building this thing for about 20 years now. Pretty happy with it, but always looking for the next upgrade.

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I play some old stuff; RAM amplifier (out of bizznez) but still excellent, huge capacitors and so, headroom..
Hafler pre-amp kit, Miller&Kriesel Goliath subwoofer (driven out of biz by Chinese knockoffs that didnt work well, gave them a bad name), after 35 years the foam surround deteriorated, replaced with new rubber surround, (place in Fla. makes them for lots of old foam speakers) Jim Rogers JR 149 cylindrical speakers, Technics SL 1 QL linear turntable..
recently added Martin Logan Purity electrostatics with Grotto subwoof. ..

Terrapin

Newly Enlightened
MK out of business? I am sorry to hear that. I have Matched surround speakers along with powered sub. I drive the surrounds with a Rotel 6 channel amp. 15 years of dependable sevice so far, I sure hope I don't have to rreplace the whole sset if one goes south.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..well I checked google and evidently there is still a company calling itself MK...although there is no mention anywhere I could find of Miller&Kriesel they did have this to say:

(which sounds like Miller&Kriesel)

MK Sound – A Brief History

"This is the story of a speaker company that helped shape home theater (and even music recording) into what it is today."

-******* Home Theater, USA, February, 2011

While other manufacturers were building audio dinosaurs in the form of coffin-sized boxes, MK led the way into the future with the world's first satellite/subwoofer system, David & Goliath in 1976. The following year, MK Sound introduced the Volkswoofer, the world's first subwoofer with a built-in, dedicated power amplifier.

The journey began in 1973, when Walter Becker of Steely Dan commissioned MK Sound to design a studio reference subwoofer and monitoring system for the Pretzel Logic LP mixing sessions. The result was the world's first balanced dual-drive subwoofer and Pretzel Logic went on to become a million-selling Top Ten hit and one of Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

MK Sound combined expertise in live music recording (RealTime Records) and loudspeaker design, drawing heavily on the research and acoustics back ground of Dr. Lester Field, who had worked at Bell Telephone Research Laboratories and been a full professor at both California Institute of Technology and Stanford University, before retiring as Chief Scientist and vice president of research at Hughes Aircraft Corporation.

By combining creativity, critical listening and extensive experience in live sound re cording with scientific methodology and experience, the foundation of MK Sound was set.

As word of mouth spread rapidly throughout the music and movie industries, MK Sound systems were created for leading studios, as well as home installations for producers, directors, actors and recording artists.

MK Sound loudspeakers have been chosen for the development and demonstration of the groundbreaking Dolby Digital cinema and home surround format, for the first public demonstration of the high-resolution Blu-ray disc format, for sound production on Star Wars Episodes I-III and countless other award-winning music, film and TV productions.

A Who's Who of the professional audio world – film, music, mastering and broadcast studios – continue to entrust their livelihood to MK Sound reference monitors and powered subwoofers.

Last edited:

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
M&K - great memories: my first "good" system was M&K S-150s paired with a subwoofer and active crossover. No idea who the current MKsound is, but with no mention of Miller or Kreisel on their history page it seems odd, may be an entity that obtained the trademark; Ken Kreisel formed a new company Kreisel Sound.

So I'm now a devotee of Aerial Acoustics, have a set of 10Ts for fronts, a CC3b center channel and a SW-12 Sub. The sub is completely seamless, you just get bass that goes deeper. Michael Kelly gets acoustics, the user manual for the speakers and sub are an education. This may sound like blasphemy, but I have no urge to upgrade.

For electronics I'm using B&K Reference 50S2 processor and 7270 amplifier. Pioneer BDB-320 blu-ray player also as CD transport, with Pioneer 151-FD plasma. Oh yeah, old Radio Shack cast aluminum surrounds.

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
Maybe one day I'll try a valve amp.Currently I enjoy my Rega Planar 3 Turntable, Arcam FMJ A32 amp; FMJ P35 power amp and some KEF Q5 floorstanders. It sounds nice. I much prefer to listen to music than watch TV, but sadly my family aren't quite with me on that. There is definitely something about having nice stuff that makes it more enjoyable. Similar to flashlights I guess.....I'm looking forward to hearing about other setups. Especially if folks have valve amps or classics.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Boy,Don't get me started!

Main System:

Thiel CS7
ARC LS15MKII
Krell KSA-250
Meridian Transport
Benchmark D.A.C.
Mac Mini Server
Tara,Kimber,Cardas,Aural Symphonics Cables

I build systems for a living so I get a lot of gear that I somehow accumalate? Surprising I know!

I have a lot more crap than room to store it and the pile just keeps growing.

And I am cheap for the Blues.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a wide range of musical tastes. The current system consists of:

Cambridge Audio 751BD Universal Player (also fed FLAC files from HDD)
Rotel RT955 Tuner
Rotel RD-960 Tape Deck
Proceed AVP-S (next to be upgraded)
Classe CA-100 for mains
Adcom GFA-5300 for surrounds
PSB Synchrony One for mains
Paradigm Studio 20s for surrounds
REL Storm
Audioquest cables

Ray Samuels Audio Hornet for Sennheiser HD650 and Shure SCL-4 for portable use, with IPod Classic filled with Apple Lossless files.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC_1167a_zpsc747bc72.jpg

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

No replacement for displacement; one can argue the masculinity of certain cars or watches, but once you get to tower speakers that look like they could launch ICBMs, debate conclusively ends.

The anime figurine, on the other hand..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You guys have nice equipment, I don't even have an amp.

At home, I use my Audio-Technica M50 and got a Sony XBA-3 coming in. I have a Meelectronics A151 that I've lent out, and Meelectronics M6 at work.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost forgot the component list if anyone's curious:

Polk SDA-SRS 1.2TL speakers
Technics SL-1200 Mk. II turntable
Pioneer TX-9500/II tuner
McIntosh C712 preamp
Kinergetics KCD-40 Platinum CD player
Nakamichi LX-3 cassette deck
Rotel RB-990BX power amp
Realistic power level meter
AKG K-340 headphones
Salamander composite rack
Way too much Jefferson Airplane

MORE PICTURES! MORE PICTURES! MORE PICTURES!

ABTOMAT, Has she ever danced herself over the edge?

Nah, she knows her way around the system.

IMG_1985a_zps1c77012c.jpg

Paladin

Enlightened
Old school here. McIntosh MC240 tube amp, fed by a rack of late '80's Adcom separates. Speakers are a pair of Electrovoice "Empire" cabinets filled with University 15 inch "Diffusicone" full range drivers.

Paladin