Dorcy

cruzer

Newly Enlightened
I searched and only found the thread about dorcy donating lights to hurricane sandy victims or whatever.

Anyone know if they are true to their specs?
Are they overpriced ?
quality or junk?

i have this light
http://www.dorcy.com/p-361-41-2510-incredible-floating-flashlight.aspx

Im a noob but the specs seem about right. It's a little brighter than low on other lights I have and u can't see very far with it. I've dropped it 5+ times with no problems. I watched a video of it in the sink it floated and he put it under water it stayed on. He turned off and on couple times no problems.
Pretty good for $8 lilight

i got it for work light in garage for when I work on stuff. Had about 6 months original batteries. Without pics or video it hasn't appeared to loose brightness as batteries die

just wondered if their more expensive lights would be worth anything. Like my dad wants a cheap spotlight, they have one but no idea if I should recommend

thanks

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
The light you're talking about has a very good customer rating. For the price you get a decent amount of light for an extended period of time that will float if dropped in water. If your dad wants a cheap spotlight I would suggest one of the LED versions of the Stanley / Black & Decker which should be available at most of your big box stores.

cruzer

Newly Enlightened
Well this is kinda why I'm asking about dorcy. If their numbers are true and description as well then in my noob opinion it's better than say a Stanley.

$46 Stanley says 1 hour run time. Battery lasts 1 year. It does claim 250-300 more lumen and I didn't see a distance
$43 dorcy says 2.5 hour run time. Battery protection to not drain battery too far allowing it to last years. 500ft distance

but that's why I'm here I don't know so I'm asking and discussing

thoughts?
thanks

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
When you asked about a cheap spotlight I was thinking of the $20-30 ones that usually have 130-200 lumens and battery times ranging from 4-10hrs. Is he needing something more powerful than that?

cruzer

Newly Enlightened
More powerful. He was showing me $35-40 ones but he said he would buy a $70 or so if be knew it was worth it.

i showed him the dorcy which he likes but is skeptical if specs are right which is why I created to ask

I can't remember model but I showed him a $75 crelant long throw light 890 lumen 500 meters

AaronG

Enlightened
Dorcy products are ok cheap lights from the big box store flashlight section. I would feel sick about spending $70 on one. The ones I've seen were unregulated but the bodies weren't too bad.

What type of battery setup were you looking for? There was a Fenix TK35 in the marketplace for $70 but if you went that route I would explain about using multiple lithium cells in series and the importance of using all new cells everytime. Dead lithium cells mixed with new ones can be dangerous

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
For rechargeable spotlights check the type of battery. Most use Sealed Lead Acid which is heavy. And the battery needs to be recycled - you can not just throw it in the trash.

Does your dad really need 500 feet distance? You may need to get him a pair of binoculars to go with a thrower.

I would suggest a smaller light like the Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen LED flashlight 4AA. $25.
7 ounces vs 3 pounds for the spotlight.
180 lumens is 1/3 the spotlight but you do not need too much light close up. Too much light reflecting off shiny surfaces can blind you.
Beam Distance: 275 Meters is more than the 500 feet of the spotlight.
5 hours runtime.
You can get Low Self Discharge NiMH batteries and charger combos for $20 or less.

I discovered a big problem with the big reflector spotlights. Either they focus well at a distance but give you an ugly donut hole close up or they focus well mid distance and give you an ugly donut hole close up and at long distances.

The other option you may want to consider is a 3C or 3D LED Maglite. You can focus them to get rid of the donut hole.

cruzer

Newly Enlightened
The tk35 would be nice just along the lines of the crelant I was showing him. Is there anything like this but little cheaper? Or is it basically this or true spotlight like dorcy and Stanley?

Will the dorcy 4750 be better than the average flashlight? I know its made to be spotlight but the low lumen might leave more to be desired. Ill check YouTube of beam shots.

Last edited:

cruzer

Newly Enlightened
I think I found the answer and I don't know how I overlooked it

Crelant V9-T6 $33 650 lumens is plenty and a review said 275 meters which is good enough