Eagletac TX25C2 - Smaller Side Switch alternative to the popular GX25C2 MKII

jcalvert

Enlightened
Now up on Eagletac's website here. MSRP is the same as the G25C2 MKII at $109.00

*Also refer to this thread (post #76) for a significant product update of the GS/SX/MX series.*

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if i like this new model —i dont like the looks of the tailcap— but if i had to choose:

ZL SC600: 30mm x 25.4mm x 107mm, 87.2g, 750Lm OTF, 95.00$ Out of Stock
ET TX25: 31.5mm x 25mm x 120mm, 95g, 852Lm ANSI FL-1, 109$ Buy now

winner: ET

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely looks like direct competition against Zebralight SC600.

The look of that side switch worries me, because it sits up high like the old Zebralight switch that was a flawed design. I hope ET has done something to overcome that defect that Zebralight had, or they are going to go thru the same bad time.

On the other hand, the UI is VASTLY superior to Zebralight, so that is a BIG plus in its favor.
The ability to select the brightness on the head BEFORE turning the light on is a huge advancement over the Zebralight UI.

The extra hundred lumens over the Zebralight is fine to have, but that doesn't make a huge difference to me. But I REALLY like the fact that they have a regular beam type which should throw well(14k lux!), AND an optional diffuser filter which can quickly give you a flood beam, and they have other filters included in the optional kit too. I love the filter kit which screws on to the head in place of the normal bezel, just like a camera! Very cool! And the filter kit includes extra longer bodies for more batteries if you need long run time.

It does have the typical 3+ minute step-down, which doesn't thrill me, but it has come to be expected now. But, after going back and reading the programming features, it allows you to reduce the step-down amount to 10% instead of the default 25% step-down, which gives more flexibility than the Zebralight in that function too.
But, at 7 or 8 lumen low mode, it lacks the moonlight mode that many of the Zebralight fans swoon over. And the ET is more than a half-inch longer than the SC600, so the SC600 is a bit more compact.

All in all, I'd say this light has what it takes to take a good portion of the market away from Zebralight, UNLESS they have inherited the Zebralight curse with that side switch giving unwanted activation in the pocket. That's the only worry about this light.
Nearly everything else beats the SC600 flat out. This ET is a MUCH more refined and capable design, albeit slightly longer and no moonlight mode.
IF the switch is reliable, I'd buy this over the Zebralight SC600, if I were buying in that category.
But the switch IS a question mark that I'd need answered satisfactorily before buying.

Last edited:

jslacker

Newly Enlightened
Im new to the whole flashlight world and with my limited knowledge I can honestly say I dont know a heck of a lot about lights. That being said I was immediately drawn to this company, and I think this will be a good addition to their lineup offering a light that has a side button.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nearly everything else beats the SC600 flat out. This ET is a MUCH more refined and capable design, albeit slightly longer and no moonlight mode.

When spending ~100$ on a premium flashlight, i really appreciate being backed by 10yrs of warranty. That's what we love about 4Sevens and their funtastic customer service.

And that's we love now about Eagletac.

Say the electronics fail after 3 years or the parasitic drain got worse over time .. then you simply drop ET a note, they may ask you to send in the light to one of the countless authorized dealers or directly to the China factory (at your cost, of course), and they ship out a repaired/refurbished/updated/latest/fully replaced/whatever unit to you.

Zebralight really needs to work on that. If they do, then i will stop opening silly ZL poll threads! :nana:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect this light to really cut into Zebralight sales.
It has some very nice features.

BWX

Enlightened
"Output adjustable
Twist the head to select between four output brightness levels. You can pre-select the desired output level before turning on the flashlight."

Twisty head to adjust output kills it for me. I need a button to push. Two handed brightness mode changes (or slow and awkward one handed twisty head) only is nonsense. I don't understand why these companies keep trying to reinvent the wheel. "Keep it simple stupid". "If it ain't brioke don't fix it".. etc etc..

If this was a clicky with a simple interface- like a Fenix LD20 or a Quark non tacticle or even the D25LC2 or a Spark sl6, etc.. I'd probably buy it as soon as possible. Twisty head only? Forget it!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisty head to adjust output kills it for me. I need a button to push. Two handed brightness mode changes (or slow and awkward one handed twisty head) only is nonsense. I don't understand why these companies keep trying to reinvent the wheel. "Keep it simple stupid". "If it ain't brioke don't fix it".. etc etc..

If this was a clicky with a simple interface- like a Fenix LD20 or a Quark non tacticle or even the D25LC2 or a Spark sl6, etc.. I'd probably buy it as soon as possible. Twisty head only? Forget it!

This is understandable, but I expect that you'll find that there's a large segment of the flashlight buying public that feels exactly the opposite.
They want to be able to pre-select the level at which the light turns on, before they turn it on, and have a predictable and reliable direct access to ANY of the available selectable levels of light they want with only one click.

No clicky UI can ever provide that, unless it's single mode. The clicky UI ensures that the light will turn on in the mode that you DON'T want most of the time, and you have to click through any number of unwanted modes until you get where you want to be.

Many people will embrace this, and others can remain with their clicking and cycling around thru all the modes.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has 100 lumen over the ZL...but the IU requires two hands from the looks of it. Also there is a big gap in output between 388 and 7 lumen. 7 seems to low for many tasks...388...to high...short run time.

I like that you can add an additional extender and batt...double the run time. I like the longer throw ability. I like the extra 100 lumen. I would rather have a IU like the Olight S10~S20...with the memory.

BWX

Enlightened
This is understandable, but I expect that you'll find that there's a large segment of the flashlight buying public that feels exactly the opposite.
They want to be able to pre-select the level at which the light turns on, before they turn it on, and have a predictable and reliable direct access to ANY of the available selectable levels of light they want with only one click.

No clicky UI can ever provide that, unless it's single mode. The clicky UI ensures that the light will turn on in the mode that you DON'T want most of the time, and you have to click through any number of unwanted modes until you get where you want to be.

Many people will embrace this, and others can remain with their clicking and cycling around thru all the modes.

Yeah but you can just click two times in .4 sec to get to med or whatever.. Just saying. I have an X-Tar S1 for example- and it is a big light with a big magnetic ring for modes. And that is fine with a big light like that, but for a little one handed light? Come on..

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different strokes for different folks.
This light will provide a great alternative to the Zebralight SC600 for people who want reliable direct access to all levels with this ET UI.

However, the jury is still out on that ET TX25C2 side switch that looks suspiciously like the one that afflicted the original Zebralights.

Last edited:

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
Just when I thought I was done for awhile. The switch does look alittle high than need be, but I can't see putting this in my pocket ,so accidental activation doesn't look to be an issue. The twist adjustable levels I really like. I have the G25C2 MKII 1030 and I use it everyday and man does it got throw. IG says cooming soon. I'm in.

Last edited:

BWX

Enlightened
I am looking for a replacement for my Eagletac D25LC2, and this would be good, but I think I'm just going to wait for the ZLSC600 mk2..

Dec 2, 2012: We will release an SC600 MkII next month to replace this one and half year old design. Main improvements include:
1. 900Lm max ANSI (SC600's 750Lm rating is based on T6 LEDs. Most SC600s shipped actually come with U2 LEDs)
2. programmable M and L (similar to the H502 and SC52) and much longer runtimes.
3. Total length 101.6mm (5.4mm shorter) and lighter.
4. Battery indicator, similar to the H502 and SC52.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a replacement for my Eagletac D25LC2, and this would be good, but I think I'm just going to wait for the ZLSC600 mk2..
Dec 2, 2012: We will release an SC600 MkII next month to replace this one and half year old design. Main improvements include:
1. 900Lm max ANSI (SC600's 750Lm rating is based on T6 LEDs. Most SC600s shipped actually come with U2 LEDs)
2. programmable M and L (similar to the H502 and SC52) and much longer runtimes.
3. Total length 101.6mm (5.4mm shorter) and lighter.
4. Battery indicator, similar to the H502 and SC52.

okok, forget the PD32UE - i never liked its weight and dimensions anyway!! - and forget also this TX25C2. I am canceling the PD32UE order, i also canceled the SC52 order in favor of the D25A Ti II XP-G2 (the best LED for small reflectors!), for my 1x18650 needs this improved SC600 will do it then!

i love improved designs. I dont call the PD32 S2 -> PD32UE progression an overall improvement of design.

oops. i am in the wrong thread, sorry!!

Last edited: