Quark aa hissing noise - video - advice pls

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
Hi I've had a quark aa for over a year and use it regularly. Lately, when in the user select mode as you go up the light levels, it makes this hissing noise on max.

If you turn the head to be in the other setting (ie not user selectable - it just is full max) it doesn't do it. It's not my batteries as it's started doing it with all of them (eneloop and hybrio)

vid:

http://youtu.be/kuHIx2lXGRc

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing.
I shared the quality issues i am experiencing earlier.

Other than that Quarks are great! :whistle:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, mine does this on fully-charged cells and not partly-drained ones, only in 'Maximum' mode. It hasn't impacted output or runtime. I think it's a different version of inductor whine.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's inducer whine alright, but it seems kind of extreme to me. I'd sell it to George Lucas for his next episode of Star Wars.

Seriously, I have a Quark or two that will do that on non Li-ions, and on high mode only, but I'd have to stuff the light in my ear to hear it. I'd link the video to 4/7s CS and see if they would consider that a warranty item - I think they'd fix it for you. At that volume, I would consider it a manufacturer's defect.