preon 1 keychain light problem

american

Enlightened
so i bought a p1 and also the optional click switch, for some reason i can not get the split ring from the stock light to go onto the click switch housing. the click switch tail is thicker so i cant get it past the threads. are there two different size key chain attachments from the factory (im talking about the black ring not the silver key ring

Yamabushi

Enlightened
No. The threads are, for obvious reasons, the same diameter for the original end cap and the tailswitch. It is, however, a very tight fit and you have to get the alignment just right.

To eliminate the obvious ... have you removed the O-ring?

american

Enlightened
yes i have. see i can get it past the threads up to the o ring groove in the black aluminum, but not past that, on the original flat tail cap it goes all the way down on the clicky it wont go the last 1/8 of an inch or so. but i have a preon 2 with the clicky and it will sit right. so i got me thinking do they have a ring for the flush cap and a slighter bigger ring for the clicky tail? is the clicky tail supposed to come with a new ring? my pocket clip fir fit over the clicky but my key chain mount wont for some reason(its smaller diameter)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why put a clicky on the keychain? The keys and split ring is often in the way when you want to click that rear button. And it's easy to acctidentally turn the light on in the pocket with the preon clicky. So you'll prob end up loosening the head anyway for no accidental activation.
I did... So i ended up with both twisting (unlocking) the head, and then clicking the button. Not that practical. Way easyer to just twist :)

Yamabushi

Enlightened
see i can get it past the threads up to the o ring groove in the black aluminum, but not past that,(its smaller diameter)

On my Preon 1 and 2, both with the original end cap and tailswitches, once I'm past the threads, it's looser. I measured two tailswitches (1 black andozied, 1 Ti) and they are 0.05 mm larger in diameter at the threads than at the straight part further back. If yours is otherwise, that's the problem.

american

Enlightened
did your new click tailswitch come with an extra keyring mount if you can remember? i appreciate you measuring.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
No.

I dug out the original P1 endcap and measured it:
Original P1 end cap: Threads 10.93 mm, Smooth section 10.89 mm
Tailswitch: Threads 10.93 mm, Smooth section 10.88 mm
Inside diameter of attachment ring 11.00 - 11.02 mm (some eccentricity)
All parts for black anodized model

EDIT: My Preons and parts are old 4Sevens logo; it's possible that new FOURSEVENS dimensions are different. Have you measured your tailswitch?

Last edited: