NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: White L.E.D.

Default White L.E.D.

Where can buy white LED. Can I buy them in a store Like radio shack. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: White L.E.D.

sure you can. But AFAIK the leds in those conventional store are not up to the led technology.

you can buy it from here:
    http://www.whitelightled.com/

The ones that you buy in conventional store can't you over driven them so they are brighter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just wanted to use this thing----> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

hah! RatShack will charge you around $3 for a DIM one. I'm partial to lsdiodes.com myself. Very friendly.

If you buy a white LED at Rat Shack (part number 276-320), you'll probably end up with a Nichia NSPW510, with a 50° viewing angle, and a beam that looks like this:

Buying the Nichia NSPW500 (the 20° viewing angle white) from the source Shiftd shows above is probably a better way to go.

Can you over drive them or drive? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I prefer www.lsdiodes.com too. They are getting in some 12,000mcd white leds in the next few days.

Flashaholic*

You can over drive any LED, but don't over drive the 5 mm LEDs too much.

Flashaholic*

LEDs, like all semi-conductor devices, actually produce some heat as a byproduct of creating light. It just converts electricity to light more efficiently than standard (non-halogen) incandescent lamps.

The little epoxy encapsulated LEDs that you get at RatShack (NPSW500 and similar, normally known as 5mm LEDs) is just not designed to throw off the waste heat properly. I personally would not recommend driving them beyond 40mA per LED.

But with the Luxeon Stars (LS) from LumiLEDs, they are designed so that the heat can be extracted easily from the back. Those you can seriously overdrive, so long as you provide adequate heatsinking.

I did have the crazy idea of cutting off some of the epoxy to expose more of the leads of the 5mm LED so that I can provide better heat extraction and overdrive them to 50mA or even 100mA. Don't think that would work though.

Anyway, as mentioned above, www.lsdiodes.com and www.whitelightled.com are your best sources for reasonably priced, bright white LEDs.

If you lived in Perth, I could recommend a bricks&mortar shop where you can pick up some straightaway, for a reasonable price, but even then, they are AU$3 a piece. Much better than our RatShack equivalent, Dick Smith's, where you get them for about AU$10 each. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Maybe check around your locale for a volume electronics supplier who has a small retail outlet on the side?