6D Maglite LED Conversion

amhainen

Newly Enlightened
I've had a 6D Maglite for years. Last week, I was using it for several hours and would shut off. If I shook it or knocked it, it came back on. Any ideas?_

Also, I'm thinking about an LED conversion. I read a post from 2008 and was wondering if there's any more recent recommendations. Also, most of the LED output is given with a time (e.g. 240 lumens for 8 hours). Just want to make sure that the LED will only last 8 hours before it dies and needs to be replaced. Will it shut off after 8 hours, overheat? If the LED will last forever (like most LEDs do), how many hours on the 6Ds can I expect? Thanks for clarifying.

The two LED conversions I keep finding are the Malkoff and Terralux. Which of these is recommended or are there others?

Thanks for the help!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Malkoff seems like a well built and well designed module that is more suitable for the enthusiast (better heatsinking, bit more work to install), while the Terralux is more of a mainstream module. Which terralux module are you looking at?

The runtimes are till the batteries die, not the LEDs. LEDs tend to last thousands of hours if treated well (Not overdriven, well heatsinked, not subject to physical abuse). Also, runtime depends on the current, the battery chemistry, the driver efficiencym etc. You should be able to get over 8 hours at 200+ lumen with 6D cells, since I did a 3D mod with a ~1A medium mode and that should last 8 hours with 10 Ah D cells.

:welcome:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built one up using a Taskled driver powering a 3XML module from DX. Uses 5 18650 batteries. Puts out a wall of light. I am building the same but on a 4 D AMg for a police officer buddy of mine as he was very impressed with it.

billt460

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would revive this older thread, rather than start another. This past month I converted an older 6 "D" Cell incandescent Maglite to LED. And I was very happy with the results. These are the bulbs I used. They worked very well, and are plug and play.

The light is much brighter, and can be focused much better. Shown is the old "Krypton" bulb it replaced.

x9FoMUu.jpg

PiWC7rL.jpg

3jLszsN.jpg

billt460

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I was going to get a glass breaker cap, along with a 2 cell extension. But the place that sells them I believe is overseas, and they won't take major credit cards. Only Zelle, Vemo, and a bunch of other cash only transfer accounts. So right away red flags went up. No can do.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a Bust A Cap for the later D smaller size battery tubes, and battery extensions.
Thing to do is buy another 90's-up 6D, the later tube gives a slightly more secure grip as well, then you can buy the mod parts right here..
Another source is Litt Industries, they mfgr some quality goodies for Mag

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, none of the body parts, BAC or Litt will fit the early D tubes. Only LED conversions..
I have viewed a few later 6D's on eB. I'd get another and leave that old guy (6D) stock, imo

billt460

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering, has anyone compiled any data as to longevity of battery life from the older incandescent "Krypton" bulbs, compared to these new LED conversions? I would think you not only would get more lumens of light. But the batteries would last longer as well.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was around 1990-91. All later tubes will have letter D in the beginning of serial numbers. And, if you notice, the knurling is shorter on later 6D incan tubes. Makes it easy spotting the difference online, or at rummage sales
You bet, you'll get better runtimes from batteries with the led. Also, rechargeable NIMH batteries will save you money in the long run over disposable batts. Plus no worries of acid leakage damaging that vintage 6D

Edit: Later tubes are small diameter inside and outside. Mating threads are smaller as well. Early and late won't mix 'n match.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used PayPal arbitration to get my money returned from a crooked business..
However, there are a few weapons, knife and gun makers who won't use PP because of their second amendment views and policies. When purchasing certain items customers are banned.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
lumencraft sells several mag drop ins. from 800lm to 3500lm. However nowadays small 1 18650 lights make ~1000lm, it makes little sense to have huge heavy light that makes as much, imo. if you moding it, go big. Thou 6d mag has a value as a tool that has little to do with actual illumination.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
@alpg88, that 6D has vintage value, even without knowing the serial #s.. There are a couple sellers on eB with late incan 6D selling for about fifty bucks. I'd go that route, or get a 3D then attach BAC and other mods, extensions, drop-ins, etc, are made to fit.

Latest posts