Fenix enqury

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
After surfing the Fenix website for several days and studying all their series. I found that the PD series seem to be the best because they are usually have the best lumen/size ratio. For example the PD32. But most importantly because they equip the Cree XM-L.
However, for me at least, the only downside is that they use two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion). That means I would need to buy 18650 and a charger to go with it instead of using the more common AA/AAA.

Why can't, for example the LD 12 or 22 series use XM-L instead of XP-G and equip AA or AAA batteries?

Is there some restriction in the technology that is preventing this from happening?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
The PD32 is a thicker flashlight, allowing for a larger reflector, since it is larger it can reflect the light from a larger LED, like an XML, and still have some decent throw.

The LD22 wouldn't shine very far with a XML led, since the reflector was designed for the much smaller XR-E LED

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
After surfing the Fenix website for several days and studying all their series. I found that the PD series seem to be the best because they are usually have the best lumen/size ratio. For example the PD32. But most importantly because they equip the Cree XM-L.
However, for me at least, the only downside is that they use two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion). That means I would need to buy 18650 and a charger to go with it instead of using the more common AA/AAA.

Why can't, for example the LD 12 or 22 series use XM-L instead of XP-G and equip AA or AAA batteries?

Is there some restriction in the technology that is preventing this from happening?

The XML can be used in an AA light, but it can't be driven to best effect by alkalines, so many companies hold the power down in AA models for that reason.
Alkaline batteries like AAA and AA are low voltage which need to be tapped pretty hard to get the necessary current out of them, and they don't respond well to that treatment. Alkalines are best suited to low current applications like remote controls and wall clocks.
However, NiMh such as Eneloops will do much better, and the Li-Ion 14500 batteries will do even better.

You can get a lot more out of the XML when it's driven hard, like up near 3 amps, which needs a pretty robust power supply like a multi-cell battery bank with 3v or higher per battery. That's why you see these lights with those kinds of batteries.

Truthfully, if you have to use the AA route for some unknown reason, get a light that is capable to run off a 14500, and it will do much better.