Quark with Turbo Flat Tailcap pics?

Matgarsmi

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used a Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap with a regular Quark from 47s? If so, does it work? From my research it seems that it should, but I'm wondering about personal experiences with this setup. If possible could you also post a pic? The flat Tailcap is larger than the original so I'm just trying to imagine what it would look like. Thanks.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is yours a tactical or regular Quark? If regular, then you should also know the Turbos momentary clicky will act as a mode changer, rather than momentary switch.

Matgarsmi

Newly Enlightened
I don't have one yet, but I would like the regular quark, not the tactical ui. From what I understand, if I half press and hold the flat turbo Tailcap, it will turn on, depending on the bezel, to either moonlight or max. From there with each additional half press it will cycle through the different modes. A full press at any point will lock it on that mode. Is this correct?

i just wanted to make sure that the turbo Tailcap and non-turbo body will fit with each other. From past posts I think it will, but I haven't seen any people say they have officially done it and it worked, just that it should in theory.

Pics are always welcome too :) It good to get back into flashlights. I have been obsessing over knives recently. Torches are a nice change of pace.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the regular Turbo tailcap on a 123 Tactical, and while it looks a little odd, it works well and makes it more comfortable to hold and easier to activae cigar style. I'd imagine that with the flat tailcap it would be super stable on a flat surface.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one yet, but I would like the regular quark, not the tactical ui. From what I understand, if I half press and hold the flat turbo Tailcap, it will turn on, depending on the bezel, to either moonlight or max. From there with each additional half press it will cycle through the different modes. A full press at any point will lock it on that mode. Is this correct?

i just wanted to make sure that the turbo Tailcap and non-turbo body will fit with each other. From past posts I think it will, but I haven't seen any people say they have officially done it and it worked, just that it should in theory.

Pics are always welcome too :) It good to get back into flashlights. I have been obsessing over knives recently. Torches are a nice change of pace.

Yes, you are correct in the operation, just want to make sure you understand the momentary function is no longer a momentary, but a mode changer. Some like it it this way, but I personally understand why no single button multi-modes will come with forward clicky.

The threads are the same between all the (non-Mini) Quarks, so it will certainly fit, but the Turbo clicky is a bit wider than the regular bodies... as Jash said, it will create a bit of a knob.

mizjif

Newly Enlightened
I have this, it works, but if you still need photos I will have to wait until I get home later today.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the left is the Quark X AA with Turbo tailcap;
quark_javelin.jpg

Like others have mentioned, the Turbo tailcap allows it to be held in cigar grip better.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
On my Quark X AA², the Turbo flat tailcap creates a bit of a narrow gap where the O-ring sits, but only if the clip points in a specific direction (towards the tailcap, I think). This may allow dirt to collect there, but will not compromise the waterproofness of the light.
I could check tomorrow if desired.

Matgarsmi

Newly Enlightened
Don't sweat it. I'm gonna give it shot. It should be what I'm looking for.

Matgarsmi

Newly Enlightened
So, I got my Quark Pro 123 and the turbo flat tail cap and wanted to share the my thoughts for others out there.

first I want to apologize for the pic quality, but they get my point across. The first is the Quark with the regular Tailcap it comes with.

EA61F002-6975-4B4F-9BC2-DBA68F28E2DC-14294-00001113AE4B2259.jpg

Next is the Quark with the turbo flat tail cap. It is a little wider as you can see. There is also a little gap around the o-ring of the tail section.

3F568889-C1FA-46D7-8798-8315A6E8ADA3-14294-00001113E27ACD72.jpg

i wanted to make sure it was still waterproof so,

37EB24BA-805C-4612-B371-E0548B5DA390-14325-00001114C63411BD.jpg

it is still water tight and perfectly dry on the inside.

i like this setup because it gives me tail standing with a momentary on forward clicky switch. I wanted this because a lot of my flashlight use involves quick flashes of illumination. It also has the advantage of being silent, if that is important to you.

About the UI, if I turn the light on, regardless of tight or loose bezel, momentary or permanent, turn it off and then wait 3 seconds it does NOT revert back to its starting mode if I turn it on again. I have to wait about a minute before the light reverts back to its starting mode. This was not expected but even though it is a slight hassle, I can live with it.

There is a Pre-flash when I turn on moonlight, but I don't mind that too much.

Hope this helps any one else interested in this configuration.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
About the gap: I've received the tip to add an extra o-ring on that side to close the gap. I can't vouch for its validity, because I haven't tried it myself (just went with the Tactical tailcap), but I thought I'd relay it just in case.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the UI... reset times and moonlight pre-flash can be issues with the XPG versions. The reset time will be ~ 4 seconds with a low voltage battery (AA) but in my experience can be ~ 15 seconds on a Li-ion. I don't use CR123s, but I assume it must be the same high voltage thing.

The XML versions do not have either issue in my experience (well except for some weird combination of low&med on the tactical versions).

Latest posts