Why are Malkoff dropins more expensive than others dropins?

waljin90

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that the Malkoff dropins seem to be more expensive than other dropins. I'm not saying that is bad, but as a newbie I am wondering why. Does it do something the cheaper dropins don't? Is it somehow more efficient? Does it carry a better warranty? Or is it just because it's a name brand?

If this is a bad qustion, please jsut erase it mods.

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
Gene Malkoff pretty much started the P60 drop-in business and his products are arguably still the best designed and built out there.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, now it's here for us all to chime in about how great the Malkoff drop-ins are.
And they are great, or at least mine is. Made out of brass, potted with some nice dark, rubbery epoxy, beautiful, pristine reflectors... Does exactly what it says it does...
I've never heard a complaint about the components buried in that potting compound. Any problems are gonna be taken care of by the maker, reputation is priceless.
I have full faith in those components hidden down in there, a minimal spec clone could be sold at profit for half the price but things would go wrong and last year's fans would still be jeering about it.
You just don't hear any griping, Malkoff is gold.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
The brass bodies really make them stand out in terms of construction. Most reflectored drop-ins are made in a completely different way from Malkoffs.

lightplay22

Enlightened
They contain some kind of special compound that causes your brain to always want another one, no matter how many you have already. This magic dust aint cheap!!

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they're really really well built. Nice Heat sink on the drop-in.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Why do they use brass since brass has 1/2 the thermal conductivity of Aluminum and 1/4 that of copper? I like the look of brass better than bare aluminum. But, copper would be nice too. Does it have something to do with corrosion?

Darvis

Enlightened
LOL! It's a pile on now!!

Seriously, what they all just said... and I want to stress a few points: Brass- Big, honking, chunk of brass. Malkoff's will stay cooler for longer which means better output (cooler LED's stay happy and bright). If you do buy one, you'll see what I mean the minute you heft one next to a regular P60 drop in.

Also, there's the Gene factor: There are not many, if any at all, that stand behind a product like he does. Absolutely no B.S. whatsoever. Buy in complete confidence.

And like lightplay said, there's the dust... I have ~30 of his drop-ins now and wildcat on the way. I EDC 2 of his lights daily and ALWAYS take one with me when I can't have a light fail on me. I've always said this: If you need a light that will always work, carry a Malkoff with a twisty switch and a quality battery and you will always have light.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have their been any formal/informal test between Malkoff and let's say nailbender's or Vinh's dropins?

I know all three are potted, would be curious to see any results.

Erzengel

Enlightened
It is a big difference whether You build Your own design completely in a high wage country or just buy some generic cheap parts from Asia and put them together.

dss_777

Enlightened
Construction - Quality - Customer Service - Quality

Norm

Totally!

Or, to put it a slightly different way: Quality Construction - Quality Customer Service - Quality Performance

I'm a Malkoff shill, and proud of it! :)

Latest posts