Why do people dislike L.E.D.'s with a green tint ?

Newly Enlightened
Ordered an Fenix LD12 S2. Just got it today. L.E.D. tint is green. Does not bother me at all. Why do so many people dislike L.E.D.'s with a green tint ?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a key chain light with green LED, it doesn't bother me at all because I knew it's green; no surprise. But if I ordered cool white or neutral white; I expected it to be the color I ordered.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered an Fenix LD12 S2. Just got it today. L.E.D. tint is green. Does not bother me at all. Why do so many people dislike L.E.D.'s with a green tint ?

EXAMPLE

You design a light like the Olight S10 with it's many great features and then you use a "GREEN TINTED LED" and it turns that light into a "PIECE OF CRAP" that nobody wants.

I know now what the S10 beam tint is and I will not recommend the S10 to anyone else because of it!

"MOST" normal people like to know what they are getting before they buy a new light.

They "mostly" like either a clean looking
"COOL WHITE"or a warmer "NEUTRAL" beam colour.When you use a colour that is neither of the above and is just plain "HORRIBLE" then the next line says it all!!

IT SIMPLY STUFFS UP WHAT WAS A POSSIBLY GREAT LIGHT!!!

I just hope the beam tint is not the same in the new Olight S20 as if it has a "GREEN LOOKING" beam colour then it will be about the only Olight flashlight that is not going into my Collection.

CHEERS

Mikeg23

Enlightened
It's really just personal preference. I would rather have green than blue I guess but for me I couldn't stand any of the LED lights until the warm tinted LEDs came out.

It may also have to do with what lights you started out with... If you started out with angry blue than green might not seem bad. I started out with Incan and want my light to closely resemble that!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried over the years to become more tolerant with tints, but there is still one tint that makes me feel ill and that is the dreaded green tint :sick2::sick::green:

yotehunter

Newly Enlightened
I've heard it said that the human eye is more sensitive to green light than warmer colors and that it doesn't take much of that color to be painful. Not 100% certain it's true, but I keep a 3 D cell Mag light on my night stand modded with a Cyan Luxeon Star. It isn't an incredibly bright light, but even at 50 feet or so away you can not look directly at the person holding that light.:duck: If I ever have to confront an intruder it will definitely be an advantage! Not sure if they would even see the muzzle flash of the .45 ACP:whistle:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I actually don't mind it at 1-9 lumens, but for me, the brighter the light gets, the less green tint I want.

...but for the most part, if I buy a light thinking that it's going to be nice and white, and it's green, I'm angry.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire green tint greenish retail packaging tinted light beam back led box look:

2mmw8r5.jpg

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...It may also have to do with what lights you started out with... If you started out with angry blue than green might not seem bad. I started out with Incan and want my light to closely resemble that!
I think many of our attitudes about light go back much farther than that. Everyone has way more experience with the sun than any other light. That's probably why bright, white and floody are always so popular. It's what we're used to.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast

Because when the manufacter advertises a certain tint, then I expect that tint. If xxx advertise a cool white, neutral white, or warm, then I expect to see that tint when I turn the light on.

Green tint is just not friendly with my eyes. I use my lights for hours at a time, I would prefer a nice tint to cover the room instead of green.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I work the yellow caution tape lights up well with a green LED. A green tinted flashlight would be an advantage in this situation.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is interesting but I find red, yellow, and blue -ish tints can call be kinda appealing in their own way, but not really green -ish tints. Having said that, I'm not tint snob and won't reject a light for a greenish tint if has everything else I'm looking for.

I find my eyes have a great auto white balance - and auto exposure, for that matter. After using the light for a while, I don't even notice the tint too much anymore. Same goes for dim and bright lumen modes... my eyes either dark-adapt with rhodopsin or "stop down" to the brightness. However, I'm talking about using a light continuously for longer periods of time - like for camping. If you only use a light for a minute or two here and there, it's harder avoid.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I order pee green...I expect pee green. If I order white...I expect white. Whats so confusing about that?

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I like things to look the color they are and a green tinted light ruins that. I don't want whites to look green.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I find my eyes have a great auto white balance - and auto exposure, for that matter. After using the light for a while, I don't even notice the tint too much anymore. Same goes for dim and bright lumen modes... my eyes either dark-adapt with rhodopsin or "stop down" to the brightness. However, I'm talking about using a light continuously for longer periods of time - like for camping. If you only use a light for a minute or two here and there, it's harder avoid.
That's a great observation.

I had two different careers that required the use if two different colored lights extensively -- one used blue and one used red. The more one uses a colored light the more one can do with it. It is definitely a learned experience. I'm very comfortable with blue, green and cyan but I only like red for removing wood slivers.

As you implied, I also often don't even notice the color of the beam anymore at lower levels, though the output still exceeds the cone activation threshold. I even catch myself thinking, "Wow, that light really looks white," when it's actually cyan.

Last edited:

Steel head

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix TK60 is a bit greenish at lower levels if you shine it on a light colored surface in a lighted room.
Outside or in dark conditions where I use it I don't notice it at all.
Blueish tint bothers me much more than green.

aau007

Enlightened
Shining a light with green tint on things make them look freaky. I don't want halloween lights.

I generally prefer creamy white lights, just like sunlight or a dash warmer.