When is it too much modes?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Zebra Lights because of the UI on the H501. I can access any mode from the off position. I also like it's only 4 modes. Then the H51 came out with 8 modes. Now the H502 came out with 11 modes. I know sometime the more the merrier but this is one thing that is not "the more the merrier" for me. How many mode is too much for you?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, I agree too many modes. Even 4 modes is too much. All that is necessary is low/med/high............but spaced properly. I just prefer to have a 3 mode light with no flashy stuff. There is times when I want the flashy stuff like in my emergency light that I carry in the car but I'd rather have a 2nd light with that feature. I have no problem owning more than one light :devil:. It doesn't all have to be in one light.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
In the world of software, this is known as 'feature creep' and tends to happen when marketers (faced with a saturated market) gain more power in an organization than engineers. The goal (called bloatware) is ever expanding feature lists (the actual lists in manuals and on web pages) so each new version release can use words like 'more' and 'improved', encouraging potential customers to choose X brand vs the Y brand competitor.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the HDS/Novatac type UI
4 "modes" but any one of about 40 levels (including strobe, SOS, etc) can be assigned to any of those mode slots.
and 3 of the 4 can be accessed from off.

I cannot stand click thru the levels type lights - most of mine have a rotary ring type UI (SF U2, minimus, Titan, SWM V10r)
Or a simple 2 stage like the Muyshondt Aeon, SF A2, SF L2

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not usually high on non-USA made lights, but I think one thing 4Sevens has done extremely well is "hide" their disco modes. You have to cycle low/med/high/low/med/high before you get strobe, SOS, beacon, etc. In my opinion, three modes is perfect.

Off topic: if I could build the perfect all around light, it would have the following:
Low (5-10 lumens) with extended runtime (measured in days)
Medium (50-80 lumens) which should be useable for 80% of tasks (10+ hours)
High (200+ lumens) which would be using sparingly for when you needed the extra punch (1-2 hours)

Veru

Newly Enlightened
I really like my HDS but I even like the Zebralight UI better. 3 modes are enough for me.
Too bad my sc31 sometimes switches on in my pocket when I forget about the lock-out.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the world of software, this is known as 'feature creep' and tends to happen when marketers (faced with a saturated market) gain more power in an organization than engineers.........

Another example of being very disappointed with the operation of a light is with the recent purchase of a Jetbeam PA10 and PA20.

It's like they tried to cram all these features into the light but only have the ability to control it via two ways..........momentary tail cap switch and the head twist tight or loose. So with head tight is just one mode....max. With head loose its user defined mode with supposedly memory. Well it works crappy. I have no problem cycling through the modes via a momentary press of the tail cap switch but they included strobe and SOS that you have to cycle through to get to it.

So they are trying to include all these selling points but its a huge non-selling point for me because it just makes the light horrible when it doesn't even work the way they say its suppose to by the memory not even holding the last setting. This is a prime example of too much features which then backfires on them.

markr6

Flashaholic
I like about 3-4 modes. But in regards to the the H51 or 502, I really see those as little as 3 modes - the fast click, double click and short click. The double clicking for submodes is nice but you really don't need to use them, and even then it's only 6 modes. The programming gets a bit crazy for additional modes but nothing I really need to mess with "in the field"

pedersen

Newly Enlightened
I prefer one mode, possibly two.

If more than one mode I want a good UI with a separate switching system, like twisting the head or a ring/button for the modes. Changing modes with the on/off button takes all the joy out of it for me :D But then again I mostly use my torches for security/LE work were I dont have the need nor the time to cycle modes

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The funny thing is that the Zebralight the O.P. talks about may have all of thise modes but you can easily use just 2 of them and not let the others even get inside your head!

You picked on the only light I know of that the modes are not intrusive on unless you want the flexibility they offer?

Lite-Bright

Newly Enlightened
I'm not usually high on non-USA made lights, but I think one thing 4Sevens has done extremely well is "hide" their disco modes. You have to cycle low/med/high/low/med/high before you get strobe, SOS, beacon, etc. In my opinion, three modes is perfect.
This .... ^

I do appreciate having the many modes but having to cycle through too many can be a bit daunting in times of 'need' for a certain mode.
Some lights have so many modes, though, that you may as well buy a few of the same model and label them accordingly to what mode they are in. Easier access.
Perhaps these manufactures need to look into something like a 'switch' with labeled modes rather than button pushing cycles to make it a bit easier.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
The funny thing is that the Zebralight the O.P. talks about may have all of thise modes but you can easily use just 2 of them and not let the others even get inside your head!

You picked on the only light I know of that the modes are not intrusive on unless you want the flexibility they offer?

I am well aware of the UI for the SC and H series, I had a SC31w. Because of those extra hidden/programable modes, I cannot gift/buy them a Zebralights because I don't want them to call me and ask if the light is broken because it's not as bright as the day they received it. I don't want to tell them to double click after you are in the medium mode within 1 sec. Also don't want them to throw away perfectly good batteries thinking the battery is low. It's an excellent light but it's not for regular users. If it only has 3 modes; I would recommend it to them in a heartbeat.

I can recommend or buy other lights that has 3 modes, but that is not the point of my post.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am well aware of the UI for the SC and H series, I had a SC31w. Because of those extra hidden/programable modes, I cannot gift/buy them a Zebralights because I don't want them to call me and ask if the light is broken because it's not as bright as the day they received it. I don't want to tell them to double click after you are in the medium mode within 1 sec. Also don't want them to throw away perfectly good batteries thinking the battery is low. It's an excellent light but it's not for regular users. If it only has 3 modes; I would recommend it to them in a heartbeat.

I can recommend or buy other lights that has 3 modes, but that is not the point of my post.

I can see that too.
I have started to really appreciate the Fenix LD series for that reason.
I can hand the light to anyone and explain that the clicky is just On and Off and the side switch rotates through the brightness.
So far everyone seems to easily grasp that one,the Zebra....not so much?

tam17

Enlightened
3 modes is just enough for me. Proper level spacing and simple, self-explanatory UI are a must. Or a single mode. K.I.S.S.

Cheers

Erzengel

Enlightened
I always want to know (and not guess) the behavior of my light when I click the switch without remembering the actual or last state of my light. I don't need more than three modes, two are usually enough. I like it, if the modes are user configurable like they are on HDS and Zebralight.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Eagletac did a great job with the D25 Clickies. It has 13 different modes but the discos are well buried (and for the first time, a couple are actually useful to me). It actually has the best UI combination of FourSeven's Minis and Quarks (or Fenix LDs). With programmable "groups" I wouldn't hesitate to hand it over to non-flashaholics (unlike a Zebra).

mbw_151

Enlightened
The number of modes depends on the application. For lights used in a high stress environment like safety/security uses, one mode is all I want. For my personal EDC I want more functionallity, at least low-med-high. I like the HDS UI or Surefire Minimus/Titan. For lights that lay around just waiting to be used in an emergency I want one mode, maybe two maximum as other people (non-flashaholics) might have to figure out how to use these. The UI can't be complicated.

scout24

Flashaholic
More than a couple is fine with me if accessing them is stone simple: Even my 007's, with a dizzying array of possible outputs are simple once programmed. Twist knob, make light. Twist more, make more ( or less depending on direction...) Zebralight, HDS are about as complex as I like. I know they are easy once you are familiar with them. :)