twisty question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Hello,
I've got a 123 twisty that only works if it is screwed completely down. The head basically contacts the the wider knurling part. Is my only fix the aluminum foil ball trick? My fear is that I'll grind the anodizing on the head. Thanks for your time! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mahoney

Enlightened
My solution to this problem is only slightly more sophisticated than the aluminium foil ball, I use a copper washer. The only catch is trying to keep it centered on the bottom of the battery when changing batteries.

Someone on the forum suggested a rare earth magnet stuck on the battery. I think I'll try this next time. The magnets are available fairly inexpensively from Lee Valley Tools.

felder

Newly Enlightened
Wow great idea. I just tried the rare earth magnet trick. works perfectly. I pull mine out of old hard drives. Much better than aluminum foil.

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if putting rare earth magnets in your LS will now preclude placing it in the same pocket as your wallet/credit cards.

felder

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it will be a problem...the magnet is quite small...just enough to make contact between the battery and the bottom of the switch. Metal objects don't stick on the outside at all, and another rare earth magnet barely sticks to the outside.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Why not file ( or sand or grind) just a little off the end with the threads? Only a fraction of an inch would need to be removed.

Another thought; use a dime that's flattened and held to the inside of the battey pack with a bit of two sided foam tape. The tape should be cut like a washer with a hole in the middle for the battery pack center post to stick through.

Daniel

felder

Newly Enlightened
They are right next to the head assembly. There's not that much in there when you take it apart. Basically, you got the platters, the heads, and you've got the magnets that I guess they use to move the heads. Some drives have big magnets some have small ones. All of them have magnets in them though. If you get a big one, you should be able to chip a bit of it off to stick to the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.