Pelican M9: Better than Stinger?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I rarely see the Pelican M9 mentioned. It's an excellent fixed-focus rechargeable slightly shorter and thicker than the Stinger, and 1oz heavier than the Polystinger and it is BRIGHT, noticeably brighter than the Stinger even though its smooth reflectored but excellent beam isn't as pretty as the Stinger's. Its charger indicates charging, charged and shows if the light is properly seated in its very secure, virtually idiotproof cradle. The light's ON/OFF is much easier to find than the Stinger's tiny one, being large and square and unmistakably located in a raised squarish hump straddling bezel and body. Brightguy prices it at $72.95 as opposed to the Stinger at $77.95 and the Polystinger (piggyback charger) for 92.95. I think it's a great light, priced right and I enjoy using it.

I've often wondered why it isn't more popular.

Brightnorm

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Good points Bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just picked up a Pelican M11 and SL-35X from BrightGuy. I'll be comparing the M11 to its peers and see what happens. I can say right off the bat, the M11 is a bright flashlight, very durable and I think will give its peers a good run for the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
BN. Why don't you do a face off with some of your comparable lights?
I do know that some of your tests is why I chose some of my lights.

Catapult

Enlightened
I returned my M11 for an M9. The most recent version of the M11 comes with the textured reflector (they replaced the smooth reflector), so throw is lost. When I got the M9, wow. It was slightly smaller than I though, and the beam was also better than I thought. It was as bright as I thought it would be and its throw is pretty good. I plan to get a Stinger in the future, so I am curious at how they both compare.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Hmmmmm, I wonder why Pelican would go with an inferior reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Could it have something to do with heat?

Catapult, do you know?

Looks like I have to purchase an M9 now too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Isn't Pelican owned by Streamlight? Streamlight went to textured reflectors in their standard Stinger series. Quality of beam is better. How is quality of beam of M11?B

Bill

Catapult

Enlightened
S4MadMan, Pelican says they decided to stay with the textured reflector. As to why, they were unable to give me an answer. I don't think it has anything to do with heat, as the lamp module is pretty thick aluminum, and would absorb much of the heat.

The M11 with the smooth reflector out throws the TigerLight, as said by other owners. With the textured reflector, the TigerLight outhrows the M11 according to my test. The M11 is still a very good light. The newer LA happend to trade its throw for more flood, and a better looking beam. Same output. Still throws pretty well.

I doubt that Pelican is owned by Streamlight. Both companies make very different lights.

Back on topic, sometimes, I scratch my head as to why the M9 (or the other Black Knight series) isn't mentioned as much as the Stingers. To me, one is just as good as the other.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Where can I get a smooth reflector? I find it hard to believe the smooth reflector will make the M11 a TigerLight killer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Catapult

Enlightened
The smooth relfector for the M11 focuses the most of the light into a tightly defined beam, that there is very little spill light, as I believe. The M11's lamp module does not produce more light than the TigerLight's lamp module. It just focuses tighter. I wouldn't say it is a TigerLight killer.

You should check with sellers to see if they still have old stock of the M11 smooth lamp module.

It seems that only a few here owns an M9, M11 or any of the others in the series. Who else has owned one? What are your thoughts?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
BN. Why don't you do a face off with some of your comparable lights?
I do know that some of your tests is why I chose some of my lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dana,

Maybe at some future time; I'm concentrating on very long throw lights right now. I hope my tests were helpful and didn't steer you wrong!

Brightnorm

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick note on my experience with the M-9. About 2 yrs ago, I purchased an M-9/AC charger/nylon holster directly from Pelican Products thru a law enforcement offer. The light had great output, but the battery would go dead after 2 or 3 days of carry (day shift w/o use). I called Pelican Products, and they shipped me a new battery in a few days. This cured the battery problem. About 3 months later, I received a brand new M-9! There was no letter of explanation or request to send the old light back. I am very impressed with their customer service!. I still use the M-9 for EDC, and prefer it to the streamlight stinger, especially when handling the light wearing gloves (you can readily feel the M-9 switch, but not the stingers), I also prefer it to our issued magchargers when nightshooting on the range. I am still using the original bulb, too.

In short, the M-9 is a bargain for the price!

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bikecop said:
...I still use the M-9 for EDC, and prefer it to the streamlight stinger...I also prefer it to our issued magchargers when nightshooting on the range. I am still using the original bulb, too.

In short, the M-9 is a bargain for the price!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bikecop, just FYI, the *new* Magcharger is much signficantly brighter than the M11 and the M11 is brighter than the M9. It's no comparison.

But yes, I agree with you, for the price, durability and size, the M9/M11 is hard to beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif