TerraLux TLE-310M-EX LED Upgrade Kit WONT WORK!

awarcorp

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Still new to the forum and did a search on this topic, came up with nothing. I have now ordered (2) TerraLux Upgrade Kits for my Maglite 4 D Cell :TerraLux TLE-300M-EX LED & the TLE-310M-EX LED Upgrade Kit. Obviously not the manufacturer, it must be my light. Works with the incandescent fine, seems like the connection with the Terralux has too large a gap? Anyone know of this problem? The serial # on the mag starts with the letter "D".

Thanks for your insight if any!

Andrew

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not sure why you mentioned incandescent, but just to be clear, the drop-in only works with incandescent models. You screw the head of the Mag all the way down, then screw in the drop-in, then screw the head up to meet the base of the drop-in. I'm especially fond of putting one in a 2D, then using 3AA/1D battery trays to power it; people don't expect a 600 lumen 2D Mag..

awarcorp

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your post StarHalo. The threads on the female end of the Terralux do not reach the male threads of the maglite. There is about 1/8 inch gap so the Terralux wont screw counter clockwise. Has anyone heard of this before? StarHalo, you got me hungry for a 600 lumen 2D mag!!!

tolkaze

Enlightened
It should be pretty easy to install, just follow a couple of steps.

1.) Remove front bezel (not the whole head, just the bezel, lens, reflector and o-rings)

2.) remove bulb retaining ring and bulb

3.) Screw the rest of the head all the way down (this could be your problem since the dropin will hit the head before it engages the threads)

4.) Pop the dropin in, push down (the tower is spring loaded, and goes down a cm or so) and screw in clockwise

5.) wind the head back out until it won't go anymore... make sure you don't apply any pressure though, since it may damage the dropin

6.) install o-ring, lens and bezel again.

If this still doesn't work, completely remove the head (bezel, head, reflector, lens, o-rings etc), make sure the bulb is out AND the bulb holder ring. screw the dropin into the tower and test without the head.

The only reason it still won't work, is that there are a couple of different tower designs in the "D" series of lights, a quick google will bring up more trouble shooting techniques, including identifying which maglite you have. If you still have no luck, try another persons maglite, or even a new maglite, lastly, send them back and try to get a refund.

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD7VRKAjvgY

Ignore the first part with the batteries and sleeve, just watch how he puts the dropin in, screws it all the way in, then moves the head back up before re-installing the bezel

Last edited:

sixxxshot

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Still new to the forum and did a search on this topic, came up with nothing. I have now ordered (2) TerraLux Upgrade Kits for my Maglite 4 D Cell :TerraLux TLE-300M-EX LED & the TLE-310M-EX LED Upgrade Kit. Obviously not the manufacturer, it must be my light. Works with the incandescent fine, seems like the connection with the Terralux has too large a gap? Anyone know of this problem? The serial # on the mag starts with the letter "D".

Thanks for your insight if any!

Andrew

Hi, I know this is an old post but I had the exact same problem and found the solution. I have a new version 4D and could not get this in to screw but the problem was not the Maglite. On my upgrade kit there was two thin pieces of metal sticking out from the connector (inside the hole with the plastic threads) that formed a V shape. It was these thin metal pieces that were preventing the threads on the upgrade kit from catching the threads on the Maglite tower. They seem to cause a springing effect so I just gently pushed them in with a blade of my swiss army knife and bingo!. The upgrade kit screwed in as in the instructions and now works perfectly.

RiCu

Newly Enlightened
Ignore, sorted.

Swapped a head from another Maglite (which will stay incan for the time being). Despite being of similar ages, one Mag has a much thicker internal wall in the head, stopping the Terralux from making a contact.

Should have thought of it before posting!

--------------------------------------

Hi. Another bump of an old thread. I'm trying to get my 310 upgrade working.

It's a D series 6 cell Maglite. If I take the head off completely and screw the 310 into the tower, it works fine. If I put the head back on, nothing.

Have tried everything on this thread, head is screwed down and then up etc.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts