McModule vs Mclux

lmitch

Newly Enlightened
Ok, forgive me if this question is too stupid...

If I really like my Mr. Bulk McModule:
Will the beam characteristics be similar if I build a MClux with the PR head using a 5watt Led??
Is there anything concerning heatsinking that makes one of the two better suited for a 5 watt light?
I am curious about getting good parts. I don't see a BB750 at Dat2zips site, and where can I get a quality 5watt LED?

Thanks for your help

Lar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I have a W3V McModule courtesy of Mr.B, and I have an X3T McLux PR courtesy of McGizmo. When comparing the two, the beams themselves are near identical in size, shape and smoothness. Amazingly enough, the W3V is a hair whiter than the X3T and since they're both using BB750's they output is the same. Don't really know much about the heatsinking, but they do seem to heat up at the same rate. The differences lie mainly in the aesthetics and how you intend to carry. I think that the advantage of being able to use the McLux PR head on an E series or L4 body is a great thing. Being able to use the clip on the E/L4 body makes for easy carrying. I bought a McLux 2x123 power pack and use the tab/button for use with a phone clip. The light looks great this way although if you get the Black HA PR head then you may want to pick up a new Black HA E2E for it. I tapped my PM6 body (McModule) and added the same phone clip tab/button so I'm able to carry it that way. I also added the Kroll clickie to the McModule so there's no difference in switches.

What all that rambling boils down to is, yeah, the outputs are pretty much the same. The differences are going to be in aesthetics and versatility (PR goes with different bodies). On the other hand, you can always take a McModule out of the PM6 host and put it in a different one if the host gets messed up. Not so with the McLux PR. I like them both.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Ditto what zenghost said. I do have the same two lights as him. The beams of mine are near identical. BTW, my W3V is whiter than my X3T also.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My McModule couldn't be focus well and got "Nuclear-Warning-shaped-dark-spot" in the center even in 5 feet on white wall. While it won't be noticeable in the field, it is quite annoying on white wall.

Is it the norm for McModule or just me?

Alan

lmitch

Newly Enlightened
Did you take out the spring? If you put it back together with the spring you will have a bad beam like that.

Lar

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lar,

After having removed the spring, it becomes the McModule I expected:)

Thanks for great tips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Alan