Is this typical of Olight QC?

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Just received an Olight I1 SS that I bought as a Black Friday deal. I intended on giving it away as a stocking stuffer but noticed the LED was way off center. Is this usual for the brand?
uju3aheg.jpg

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely looks like bad quality control. That black thing around the emitter is a centering device designed to center the LED perfectly. But it clearly didn't slot into the socket in the reflector. I own two Olights (S10 and S10 ti) and both were in perfect condition.

If it's anything like my S10s, it shouldn't be that hard to disassemble and center the emitter.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I was thinking of attempting that if the online vendor doesn't think it warrants a return.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
doesnt look too bad. it's just an olight, no sunwayman or zebralight, so dont worry.

hopefully your dealer will accept a return and replace the unit!

My guess is it would take 2 minutes to unscrew the bezel, pull out the reflector, slide the emitter into position and then screw it back together again. Far less time and effort than trying to return it for a replacement.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Really? Didn't realize it was that easy. It's not physically attached to the pill with solder or thermal glue?

Tiresius

Enlightened
usually lights with those centering plastics are thermally pasted. You should be able to move it around.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Not the easiest light to disassemble due to the head being one unit. The light unscrews from the bottom and if I remember, it's loctite or glued on.

This is the Olight I1, right?

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
I have several Olight's, and none were off-centered like the one in the photo.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Sorry indadark, I would rather ask if I can send it back. To get this thing apart is such a pain. Some folks have broke the light trying to pull it apart. The problems lies in how well the pill is glued onto the threads.

You'd have to go from under-neath the head to pull it all out and there's no guarantee that it'll stay centered when you're done. Give the dealer you ordered this light from a call and hopefully they'll send you another light.

pinetree89

Enlightened
Sorry indadark, I would rather ask if I can send it back. To get this thing apart is such a pain. Some folks have broke the light trying to pull it apart. The problems lies in how well the pill is glued onto the threads.

You'd have to go from under-neath the head to pull it all out and there's no guarantee that it'll stay centered when you're done. Give the dealer you ordered this light from a call and hopefully they'll send you another light.

Yes this, these i1 heads are built almost exactly like foursevens mini's. In fact the bodies and heads are interchangable. They are not easy to disassemble like other lights where you have to twist the head apart. You'd have to find a way to unscrew the circuit board from the inside of the head and overcome the threadlocker without damaging anything. Not saying it can't be done, but you paid for a good light, have the retailer stand behind it.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a bunch of olight t10's, all were very well done, esp for the money. Return it for a better version.

Not sure I'd say sunwayman or zebra are much, if any better.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Vendor will issue and RMA but I'll have to pony up the return shipping. Kinda makes the BF deal a wash.

LGT

Enlightened
I'd return it. And hopefully the vendor that sold it will at least give some kind of discount off your next purchase because of your cost to return the light. Trust me, it doesn't hurt to make such a request. Forgot to mention that no, that isn't typical of Olights. If it was, I don't think they'd still be selling flashlights.

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
Trust us...It's far better to return it than to try and fix it yourself. This type of head is so hard to disassemble and most will not bother with it.

Just send it back and save yourself the trouble of pulling it apart.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and requested the RMA. According to the CSR that I've been corresponding with:

"The way that it is set is not considered a defect, and the ones I looked at were not perfect."

Not quite sure how to interpret that. Certainly not expecting perfect, reasonably centered is sufficient for me. This particular unit however does exceed my threshold of what I'd consider acceptable.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I don't think the CSR is wanting a return...Such a bad way to treat customers. Olight will not be happy if they see their light like this. Then again, good luck getting your item all the way to China in a timely manner.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and requested the RMA. According to the CSR that I've been corresponding with:

"The way that it is set is not considered a defect, and the ones I looked at were not perfect."

Not quite sure how to interpret that. Certainly not expecting perfect, reasonably centered is sufficient for me. This particular unit however does exceed my threshold of what I'd consider acceptable.

CSR = customer service rep?
Who is your dealer?

Contact Olight (Christina) and ask for help. Normally she will send instructions to your dealer to make him do the stuff.