60 second pricing survey on the LSH-S (ended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your help on this. This survey will provide usefull information that will help us optomize our price point. The first survey is on the LSH-S. Everyone who does the survey will recieve a coupon for $5 off your next purchase at Arcflashlight.com

(Survey ended)

Thank you!

We will receive a report with the email address you entered. We will then send you an email with your coupon code. To use this coupon the next time you order from arcflashlight.com, enter the code on the billing details page in the "coupon code" field. $5 will then be deducted from your order.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for helping us do this research!

Peter

Blikbok

Enlightened
Re: 60 second pricing survey on the LSH-S

Peter, all I see is the source code for the survey.

Edit: Now I see a link. Must...click...link...

Raindrop

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Peter, all I see is the source code for the survey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just took the survey and had a "thank you" confirmation.

~Greg

V

voripteth

Since you're targeting both new and experienced users, I'd recommend you put a picture and link describing the LSH-S. I first went to your web site and it doesn't list the LSH-S at all!

I finally did a search on this board and found a posting that the LSH-S is the 'standard' LS light. At least I think that's what it is...

Lumens

Newly Enlightened

Peter,
My survey answers could be misleading...
Personally, I don't have any interest in the LSH-S as I prefer to spend more for a premium item. Many of my purchases are biased towards paying more for the very best. This was the reason I bought from Arc in the first place.
I think the LSH-S has a place for the buyers who don't see the need to pay top dollar for the very best. Having the tiered marketing approach is probably a good idea for Arc's bottom-line as well.

DumboRAT

Enlightened

To "base/ground" my votes as well.....

I have both a LSH-S (bought at a tremendously lowered retail discount price, appx. $75 delivered) and the Spec. Ed. Fraen LP equipped LSH-P. Included in the mix are a AAA Limited Ed. and a CPF 2003 AAA that I bought as a gift for a friend.

My beliefs regarding "tiering" is as with Lumens'.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

HesNot

Enlightened

Peter - to elaborate on my survey as well. I bought an LSHP because I wanted the tighter throw and whiter light. I would probably not buy two LSH-Ps. The form factor is appealing, however, and I thought about buying an LSH-S at your recent sale price and it was completely price motivated. I like my LSH-P a lot and wouldn't mind having a "backup" to throw on my 2AA pack or otherwise keep handy but not necessarily EDC.

I do think that having a lower tiered product is important, as I know some folks who would buy a lower dollar light but not a $150 light.

Myctophobic

Newly Enlightened

I agree with Lumens on the tiering issue. The problem is I own an LSH-P and so I am not really willing to spend much on an LSH-S at this point, particularly with the current Fraen LP option and the upcoming LS-4.

Bosley

Newly Enlightened

Peter,

I just wanted to give you my take on a potential pricing problem with the LS line. It is my understanding that the LSL is being phased out, so the "entry-level" LS will be the LSH-S. In my opinion, if the cheapest LS is priced north of $100, this will keep many people from making the initial jump to an LS and getting hooked on them (like I did).

As a long-time Streamlight user, I never imagined that I would spend over $100 on a small EDC flashlight when my $20-$30 ones seemed to work fine. I had Arc AAA's and loved them, but could not justify buying an LS despite all the rave reviews. Then the Arc 4th of July sale happened. I bought a bunch of AAA's as gifts, and finally broke down and bought an LSL-S and an LSH-S, planning on returning one of them. Needless to say, I was hooked, and not only was i unable to return one of the LS's, but I also now wanted an LSH-P in the worst way. I have now scratched that itch as well, and am the proud owner of an LSH-P w/ the Fraen LP optics. I will also be getting multiple LS4-P's when they arrive this Spring.

My point is this: if I had not been able to get the original LSL on the cheap ($55, I think), I never would have made the jump to the LS line and gotten hooked. If the entry-level LS is going to be the LSH-S at over $100, I think many people will never get to experience an LS, get hooked, and work their way up to the top of the line models. (I'm sure Surefire sells tons of E2E's and A2's by hooking people with the G2 and having them work their way up the ladder.)

Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck to you and Arc and keep up the great work,
Robert.

BobG

Newly Enlightened

As further clarification and amplification on my survey answers. I do not own any standard LS's. All of mine are P's (2 LSL, 5 LSH). I would not be likely to ever purchase a standard when a premium is available for a reasonable increment in price. So maybe my answers are not as relevant as those of others. Also, while I did purchase the special edition (fraen) version, it is very unlikely that I will purchase any other LS lights until the LS4 unless there is a version with a "guaranteed" higher flux LED (no maybe a 'Q', maybe an 'R'). There is way to much variation in any given bin as it is.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter,

Glad to give you my slant on these questions, as I presume almost everybody here is. I hope our answers are of help to you.

The question about uniqueness is subject to interpretation. I assumed you are asking to what degree the Arc LS is perceived to be different from those in the existing array of other lights?

Paul

PluckyPleco

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Bosley said:
I never imagined that I would spend over $100 on a small EDC flashlight when my $20-$30 ones seemed to work fine. I had Arc AAA's and loved them, but could not justify buying an LS despite all the rave reviews... I finally broke down and bought an LSL-S... Needless to say, I was hooked... but I also now wanted an LS4-P in the worst way.

My point is this: if I had not been able to get the original LSL on the cheap ($65, I think), I never would have made the jump to the LS line and gotten hooked. If the entry-level LS is going to be the LSH-S at over $100, I think many people will never get to experience an LS, get hooked, and work their way up to the top of the line models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robert, please pardon my edits of your post. ;-)

Peter, What Robert said.

My "random toy" price point readily accomodates the AAA's and the AA's to get me aquainted with ARC.

However my "serious toy" price point (only one "serious toy" a month) faces greater competition (other toys, unexpected expenses, etc) and consideration. (Gee, would I rather have a flashlight or a water purifier...)

The low (close-out? / seconds) price on the LSL was a nice introduction to the higher end models.

The problem is that that the LS4 is scavenging a sale of an LSH-P to me. Given my perceived utility of the LSL at the price I paid, there isn't enough perceived product "goodness" differential to make me pay 2x for an additional LSH-P. However the LS4 is a different matter.

Hope that helps.

Plec

P.S. Peter, before you start playing lots of games with cost accounting numbers and price points, you REALLY ought to read "The Goal." It's an easy read, written as a "business thriller" (I _know_, but it works). If you read quickly it will be just an evening or two and it may provide a lot of illumination...

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two LSH-P that I bought last year for 180 € each, and now they are 145 € each... (1 € +/-= 1 $)
I wouldn't buy a LED light without the best Luxeon available. I do not own, and I do not plan to buy any standard LS.
May be, like in a game of chance, I would buy a factory second LS for the lowest possible price.

Anthony

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened

I personally agree with the comments made above. If the LSH is going to be the next entry level light after the LSL is phased out and the LS4 becomes available, I would price the LSH very close to, if not, below $100 to attract more buyers that are getting into high quality LED lights but aren't willing or just don't need something quite as heavy duty as the LS4. Just my thoughts.
Jeff

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i filled it out like the stingey ******* i am for ya mr. gransee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Edit: i admit that it's worth the money tho.. definitely.. it's just money i don't have so i'm a bit bias.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PluckyPleco said:
P.S. Peter, before you start playing lots of games with cost accounting numbers and price points, you REALLY ought to read "The Goal." It's an easy read, written as a "business thriller" (I _know_, but it works). If you read quickly it will be just an evening or two and it may provide a lot of illumination...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it last week and I have 20 pages to go to finish it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I already know that "cost accounting" is a bad word. It was actually the chapter that talked about lowering prices to increase factory throughput that got me to research margin optomization. I found this survey software while following a lead on amazon.com.

Btw, I just about have enough results for this survey. I will probably shut the survey off later today.

Peter

Blikbok

Enlightened

The first Arc I bought was the AAA. It was an impulse buy at one of the rediculously low prices. I had several CMG Infinities, so I couldn't justify replacing them with a $35 light which was very similar. But when the price was very low, I bought out of curiosity. That low-priced introduction with a standard Arc AAA was the "in" for me.

I bought about six more as gifts, and eventually had the recipients asking me to sell them more so they could give them away.

I looked at the LS for a while, but I had another light that was sufficient for me, an SF E1 with KL1 head. Similar to the AAA, I couldn't justify another nearly identical light. When I saw an LSH-S for <$100, I was curious and jumped. I grabbed the 2AA-TSP and the 123P right away.

I then bought the AA when it was announced (not a pre-order).

I am now an ARC convert. My EDC is the LSH-S, the AA and the AAA. I'm looking forward to the LS4 and LS5, especially if they support Li-Ion rechargeable cells. I will likely buy the premium version of each.

I think the tiers are important, because there is a lower entry point for people new to the product line, and resistant to the higher price which may not be immediately justifiable until one has handled the product.

I have introduced many people to the Arc AAA, and they are so impressed by it they are buying it at full price for friends and relatives. But they probably would have not made the jump and ordered it sight unseen.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened

I think the LSL-ST is a great value at the $65.00 "sale" price. I think the LSH-P is a little over priced at the "sale" price of $149.94. I bought both and am happy with them. But truth told, I would probubly be just as happy with three LSL-ST's and one of each type of tail cap.

The LSH-S will have to be value priced for me to buy one.

BobG

Newly Enlightened

If you are looking for some good material on management philosophy (and Golratt is excellent) visit the Harvard Business School online and take a look at some of the books by Clayton Christensen ("The Innovator's Dilemma" comes to mind) and Michael Porter. I was a student of W.E. Deming in the early 70's (at Fordham) and kept in touch with him until he passed away. His 1986 book "Out of the Crisis" is still a landmark. Also, virtually any book you could want on this topic and related areas (statistical process control, balanced scorecard, Kaizan, etc.) is available through the American Society for Quality (ASQ).

Status
Not open for further replies.