Recommendations for under $20

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
After I gave my boss a sun tan from 10' away with an HID light, he put me in charge of purchasing a couple of flashlights to have around for use during power failures.

Here are a few of my "wants":
<ul type="square">
[*]Throw is not really important, as it's just for use in an office.
[*]It can be incandescent or LED, but.........
[*]I'd like the runtime to be up near a couple of hours...???
[*]Lithium power would be a plus for storage sake.
[*]Must be $20 or less.
[/list]

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm open to doing some mods if needed.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy 1AA-3LED with Eveready L91 lithium cell for <$20 or if you forego your lithium requirement, Dorcy 1AAA-1LED for $6 bucks. I presume that these lights will be primarily for emergency evacuation if the power goes out or to keep you guys from groping the secretaries in the dark.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Streamlight TwinTask 1L. They can be bought for around $20, lithium powered, LED's for long run-time, plus the Xenon in case you need longer throw. Oh, and they are very compact too. Check it out here.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
The original infinity with the L91. $20 with the batt and tax!

You could also buy a Photon 2 and have money left over for beer.

HesNot

Enlightened
CMG Infinity - lots on sale for under $15.00, cheap AA batteries and very long run time. Durable and useful light.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not a get a couple PT40's? those have at least a couple hours runtime..
however i'm not sure if it'll accept lithiums.. never tried.. i don't think you'd need to tho if you're storing them in the office place.. also only $10.99 a piece from TTS..

i also second the Streamlight 1L suggestion.. self-explanatory..

DorcyLED

Newly Enlightened
the Dorcy AAA - 1LED will provide 24 hrs. on continuous use on one Alk. battery. The 2AA - 3LED will give 36hrs.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bunch of the $1 LED lights from CountyComm!

A co-worker and I bought three dozen and passed them out to receptionists, security officers, maintenance.

The were VERY well received.

GregR

P.S. If you want them to be used in a power blackout at work, I would keep them stored onsite. Pass them out in an emergency and tell each recipent the light is theirs to keep. Then go out and spend a whopping $20 to buy some more for the next time.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Illuminated said:
Chris,

Is that under $20 for "a couple" of lights, or under $20 per light?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

$20 each - 2 Total.

So far, I'm interested in the SL TwinTask 1L idea.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap and functional, UKE 2AAA incan/Eled. You could probably get 2 for $20!!

Pelican Versabrite II will be convenient as you'd be able to clip it/stand it anywhere. Same functions on a Quiglite too, if they're in that price range...

How about headlamps? They could be useful when you need your hands free or when walking around, I think I saw on a site somewhere that has the Black DIamond Ion for under $20. Small and unnoticable till you need it, uses a lithium too, altho batts might be hard to find.

Oh, and one of the dealers here has the CMG reactor (2AA) going for $15 a pop...

Happy hunting!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am with the PT40 or infinity ultra.

the stock pt40 can use lithiums--PT told me this, and i have a Li equipped pt40 in each car. i think you can get the pt40 for around $12, and if you look around, a 4 pack of lithium aa for around $8. tough, waterproof, inexpensive bulbs, simple and VERY bright. should run a long time with lithiums.

i also have an infinity ultra: tough long running little light. it will still light well on a half dead alkie. this is my choice at work, because we have aa bats in very large quantities.

the twintask line looks good too--but ive never tried one. the lith bats are cheaper as well.

have fun!

Bob

Kirk

Enlightened
I'd vote for the new Rayovac LED/Incandescent flashlight I found at my local K-Mart. 2 red LEDs, 1 white LED, and a pretty nice incandescent. Runs on 3 AAs and cost $12.99.
Kirk

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an Energizer headlight that is $14-ish at Target. It takes 2AAA's, but I think it would take Li AAA's. It has two white LED's and 1 red LED.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
Your criteria for long run time and use in power failures would tend to lead to a LED based recommendation, which is mostly at odds with the "under $20" criteria except for single LED models. I agree with the CMG Infinty recommendations, and would suggest that you can usually get the "Ultra" (brigher) version for under $20 if you shop around.

May I suggest that you consider yourself having a $40 budget for two lights that do not have to be the same? In that case I would recommend the following to you:

1) The Energizer 2-LED folding lantern. Available at WalMart for under $9. Advertised to run 200 hours on one LED or 100 hours on two. A good "flood" type area light for a small room. Uses 4 AA batteries. I have had one for months, use it almost every day, and am still on the orginal batteries.

2) The Streamlight 4AA 7LED ProPolymer flashlight. There are lots of posts and reviews on CPF for this one. One of the brightest small form LED flashlights that doesn't use the Luxeon. Also uses 4 AA batteries. Expect about 6 hours use to 50% brightness, and many more hours of diminshed brightness after that. Small and rugged. Cost is about $22 to $23 on Ebay, or can be obtained for a few dollars more at several online retaiers.

With these two you would have your bases covered, use a common battery type, and keep within your spending limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
how about one of the Brinkmann Rebel models?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Rebel and also an X1. I forget how much the Rebel cost, but I think the X1 has it beat hands down.

[ QUOTE ]
DougNel said:
May I suggest that you consider yourself having a $40 budget for two lights that do not have to be the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. This pretty much gives me a TwinTask type of situation.

So let's look for combinations of two lights for a combined total of $40. I'd like to have one be an LED and one incandescent. The runtime of the incandescent isn't extremely important, since I'll have a backup LED. What about a G2 and something?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah i've seen the beam from the X1.. i doubt the Rebel could keep up.. however in my local Walmart it was about half the price at $10.99..

but now that you mention it, the X1 would be be the better way to go, as it's still pretty much in budget.. and above in performance and durability.