Issue with Jetbeam RRT-3 and lowest (1) lumen setting

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can help here.

I bought a lightly used RRT-3 1200 lumen (SST-50) flashlight.

I put 6 brand new Duracell cr123a batteries in it. All the setting work great on it. However, the very first setting, on the lowest output, which is 1 lumen, the light kind of comes on for a second then slowly fades off completely for about three seconds, then comes back on for a second and slowly fades away and it continues to do so until you shut the light off.

I'm new to flashlights and wasn't sure if it was programmed like this, but after seeing a youtube video review of the light, the flashlight on the lowest setting didn't do what mine was doing...it was just shining a constant low light. They did use three different batteries instead of the 6 123a that I am using. I wonder if that has anything to do with it or maybe my light is not working right.

Any ideas?

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
never mind i am reading the owners manual and theres more poop to this than i initially thought. sorry for the fuss guys.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to the lowest mode, then one up, then back to the lowest mode - it goes onto Standby Mode, flashing every few seconds.
Stepping one up, then one down, will alternate between the lowest mode, and Standby flashes.
If you go to the lowest mode, then two steps up, then back to the lowest mode, it will just light up at the lowest mode only, with no Standby flashing.

Personally, I wish the RRT-3 had a real micro-amperage standby that does not drain the battery for many many years.
The RRT-3 has this funny standby because the RRT-3 is a very old design; really long in the tooth dating back to 2009.
In its hey days, the RRT-3 SST-50 was a wonderful thrower...

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I figured that out yesterday also.

I had to look up the owners manual online but it was for the 3xml version.

Do you know where I can download the owners manual for the sst50 version? I can't find it anywhere.

lightwater

Newly Enlightened
There is nothing of any use in the manual. It's an A4 page.

Output & Runtime:
1 Lumen, 250 hours
150 L, 620 min
300 L, 350 min
470 L, 230 min
550 L, 180 min
850 L, 120 min
1200 L, 80 min
Strobe 1200 L, 160 min

"Notice: After long term working, the heat emitted by RRT3 may exceed the safe temperature. So the RRT3 built-in temperature protection circuit will automatically start flashing to alert the users. The users need to switch off the flashlight immediately, lower the brightness or wait for the flashlight cooling to continue the use."

I quite often use both my RRT3 SST50 SMO & a OP reflector (Page 31: "Photos of your lights") as a working desk lamp with a defuser on 150/300 L. The running times are about right, as well as at 1200 L for other purposes.

The SMO reflector says 700 yards. In real life that would be pushing it, but it does throw a lot further than the OP.

A good light, solid, & I have had it run at 1200 L continuously without problems. But in reality the difference between 850 & 1200 is very little.

I would buy another SMO if I could find one.

This was the first time I actually looked at the manual!