Need Advice

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,
I'm here for a little Advice!
smile.gif

I want to purchase 2 new Flashlights, and need some recomendations.
Both Lights will be used frequently, So i need a re-chargeable or a light that uses redily avalible and cheap batterys.
But I want the Brightist, and longist lasting lights I can afford.

I want a smallish light to keep in my bag or pocket, for general use.

And I want a larger Brighter torch for walking the dog, Taking in the car, Proper useage if you will
smile.gif

Appreciate any advice,
cheers

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
well,
I've been looking around,
How about a strealight Ultrastinger or surefire 8NX for the big Re-chargable light, for walking and camping?

For the Personal Light I'm still unsure, It needs to be bright, and use cheap batterys or be rechargeable, any idea's? less than 6" would be ideal.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ultrastinger would be an excellent choice, especially for someone in england. if you were in the us i would highly recommend the tigerlight. www.tigerlight.net

last i heard they were working out intl shipping so you might want to drop tiger an email and see what's going on.

for a small light i would recommend the surefire E2E. sf's best 2 cell in my opinion. if you want to avoid lithiums, the Princeton Tec 40 using 4AA's puts out about the same amount of light and is much cheaper.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

rlhess

Enlightened
Look at the Underwater Kinetics 4AA as well. Also look at the Streamlight 4AA LED. Both of those live in my tool kit.

I've used an UltraStinger and it's a great light.

Cheers,

Richard

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, you may want to to a search on here before thinking about a Surefire rechargable. Seems to be a concern that they haven't quite figured out how to do it yet. (Think "Lucus"
smile.gif
) They also don't make, as far as I know, any lights that run on normal batteries.

I think what lights you pick depends on how small a pocket sized light needs to be. For me, the Underwater Kinetics 2AAA is fine, anything else is bulky. This puts the UK 2AAA, the Arc-AAA, or any of the keychain button cell lights in the mix. Probably also the Arc LS light that can use a single 123, too, but again that's an expensive battery. I'd go for the Arc-AAA, you need one of those anyway.

For a larger light, I'd suggest one of the Streamlight rechargables, as the previous posters have. To me, the Ultra Stinger is a bit big, I'd rather have a Poly Stinger. But that's just me.

For an inbetween light, the UK-4AA or SL-4AA-LED are both nice. To me, these are "coat pocket" sized.

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Thankyou for the excellent Replies!
Unfortuneatly I have to dash now, But I will look at them tommorow and get back to you.
Im not worried about my "pocket light" being that small, as i useualy carry a bag, and am going to buy a photon 3 light for my keychain
smile.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the "pocket light" I'd recommend either the PT Attitude or the PT Rage. Both use common, inexpensive AAAs and will both work with NiMH (for really low cost routine use). Depends on how bright you need this light to be.

The Attitude has become my favorite light. I use it for at least 95% of my flashlight needs and, because it is LED, it is reliable and won't leave me in the dark. I also carry a P3 on my keychain.

If I want a second, brighter light, I carry the UK 4AA AS2. It isn't the brightest possible but it will work with NiMH as well with good brightness and throw (100-150 feet).

Both the Attitude and the UK 4AA will be quite long lasting.

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guy's,
Thankyou for the Replie's I've been looking around, have any of you used the INOVA X5MT Light?
It's a good price, and from the spec's seems quite good, whats your thoughts?

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
oops, just realised the Inova uses Lithium batteys,
OK well the Streamlight 4AA LED or Princeton Tec 40 looks like the obvious choice then.

so! Are these the best lights for money/performance ratio?

TOB9595

Enlightened
I have the Inova and others. I think the Inova is pricey for the light it delivers. For less money and more light the Streamlight 4aa 7led is quite good. If Lithium is what you're looking for I'd go with...HHMMM... I guess I like the Surefire E2 with the KL1 head. This is real pricey though. Or the Arc LS with clickie switch. Another pricey item.
For a larger light TigerLight gets my vote. Lower cost Than Streamlights of the same type and great light. Search threads for more info on the Tigerlight vs stingers debate.
Regards
Tom