How I Fixed My 4Sevens Preon 2

RebelHell

Newly Enlightened
I was having severe issues with my 4Sevens Preon 2 and after searching for a solution I decided to take matters into my own hands.

It seemed the switch in the tail cap was failing as it would work only randomly and sometimes took percussive maintenance to get it to operate at all. I decided to take it apart to see if I could clean the contacts but the switch appears sealed. Before I put it together I was cleaning the threads to see if maybe some improved contact there would help. After that I was looking at how the switch contacts the switch body. There appeared to be four small points on a metal ring around the switch. I used the edge of a knife to bend those out just a bit. You have to have something very sharp because they are so small and close to the switch body. Below is a picture of the switch after I bent the points out.
20121207_171709.jpg

It took a little bit of pressure to push it back into the housing because it will bend them back in slightly. Also, be careful about how you re-install the rubber cap. If it isn't pushed down perfectly flush it will give you issues with the threads. I used a small straight slot screw driver to press the edges of the rubber down around the switch. Since I've made this repair the flashlight has worked flawlessly. I hope this helps someone else out there having the same issue.

RebelHell

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I was just about to RMA it, but I hate to be without it that long. I use it almost everyday at work. I should probably invest in another, or something similar.

american

Enlightened
I had a mode skipping not turning on issue useing rayovac rechatables with a titanium model the side of the battery being slightly exposed touching the bare threads

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

AutoTech

Enlightened
Oh, interesting! I've had similar issue with mine. I've never carried it but the few times I've turned it on its messed about in a similar fashion.

RebelHell

Newly Enlightened
Apparently that metal ring on the switch with it's four tiny points is the only contact between the Negative battery terminal and the body of the flashlight. Bending those out adds tension to help maintain contact. I have a feeling it's a temporary fix. As much as I use this flashlight, it gets beat up a bit at times and I can see those points needing adjusting every once in awhile just to maintain that tension. I really dislike the switch design and would be happier with a simple on/off switch. But it is a fantastic light.

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
Just started similar thread

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/353106

I had same issues and also adjusted contact spikes on switch assembly but continued to have problems with the rubber cover. Seems it was swollen or something?

Anyways...called 4sevens and they were very eager to help. Sent out a new switch today. GREAT COMPANY.