Please list headlights that use 2 or more AA batteries that have white and red output

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have done a lot of searching and just come up with Fenix HL 30.
I am sure that there are others but having trouble finding them.
I would also like the light to use the newer led emitters.

Last edited:

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Black Diamond Icon
...is the only one coming to mind that takes AAs.

If other batteries come into the discussion then you also have:
Streamlight Sidewinder (CR2)
Petzl Tactikka-plus (AAA)
Cabella's RGB - (AAA)
Coleman Axis Multi-color (AAA)

Oh no wait I just remembered the Energizer hard-case "Rugged" headlamp, which also uses AAs. Best way to find it online is with their model code "TUFHD31PE".

d1337

Enlightened
Zebralight H51
Zeabralight H502
Fenix HL21
Spark SD52

The Zebralight H51 is my favorite AA headlamp. I hope this helps!

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight H51
Zeabralight H502
Fenix HL21
Spark SD52

The Zebralight H51 is my favorite AA headlamp. I hope this helps!

yes but the OP asked about a headlamps with a red light mode which uses multiple cells. :tinfoil: Far fewer options with those requirements.

d1337

Enlightened
yes but the OP asked about a headlamps with a red light mode which uses multiple cells. :tinfoil: Far fewer options with those requirements.
Sorry I missed that! Maybe duct tape two h51's together and put a red filter on one? lol

borrower

Enlightened
Not exactly right, but Rayovac Sportsman http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Outdoor/5-LED-3AAA-9-in-1-Multi-Function-Headlight.aspx has red, green, floody 5mm white, as well as a slightly more modern throwy luxeon. It takes 3-AAA, so not the AA you want.

Be aware that this is a cheapy... it's not regulated and it's not terribly bright. Durability seems okay. (It's marketed as the Alpkit Gamma in the UK, and you can find lots of happy users online. Part of me thinks that they're happy because the last light they owned was a Petzl Zoom and by comparison, this looks good.)

One feature that I actually like is a red light (blink or solid) on the rear battery pack.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red light as marker? Or red light for night vision? Most inexpensive red LEDs that advertise themselves for night vision, don't work for night vision, as they're too orange-red and bright, conferring little if any advantage for night vision. See MANY discussions on this topic in this forum, particularly posts by Bowzer.

Point being, chances high you'll actually be better off with a low-level sub-lumen white, than an "add on for marketing purposes" unadjustable orange-red. The general rule is, if it's bright enough that you can perceive any color (including red!), then it's too bright to help you maintain night vision.

Last edited:

rojos

Enlightened
Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red light as marker? Or red light for night vision? Most inexpensive red LEDs that advertise themselves for night vision, don't work for night vision, as they're too orange-red and bright, conferring little if any advantage for night vision. See MANY discussions on this topic in this forum, particularly posts by Bowzer.

Point being, chances high you'll actually be better off with a low-level sub-lumen white, than an "add on for marketing purposes" unadjustable orange-red. The general rule is, if it's bright enough that you can perceive any color (including red!), then it's too bright to help you maintain night vision.

Yep, exactly right. You get a gold star B! :D

Additionally, my experience with many headlamps that offer both 'red' and white outputs usually have to cycle through the various white outputs as part of the UI, pretty much defeating the purpose of having any red output for night vision in the first place. IIRC there are one or two models available that have separate switches for the red or white outputs, but I don't remember who makes them or what the models are.

An astronomy accessory company called Rigel Systems makes handheld lights with red emitters that are true "deep red", in the 660+ nm range, which is what's required for truly preserving night vision. They're in the $30 range and usually run off of a 9v cell. Perhaps a little bulky and heavy for head mounting, but if a true night vision light is what you're after, they're the best bet I can think of.

RollingRage

Newly Enlightened
There's another in the Petzl line that was missed - Tikka XP. Unfortunately there's no dedicated switch for the Red light mode and you will have to hold down the button to switch it over. Once switched it remains in that setting. I've run that light through quite a bit and it keeps on ticking, I only use it to do small things around camp as it only shoots out around 80 lumens. It's a nice book reading lamp.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]

Or red light for insect avoidance? Red light is quite effective for preventing mosquitoes and moths from swarming in front of your face.

My experience has been that anything too high in the blue spectrum turns your face into a non-lethal bugzapper; neutral and warm emitter work fine against moths, but mosquitoes find you even with no light.

How about just using a red filter?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience has been that anything too high in the blue spectrum turns your face into a non-lethal bugzapper; neutral and warm emitter work fine against moths, but mosquitoes find you even with no light.

How about just using a red filter?

Mosquitos are sensitive to body heat, which is how they can still find you even in the dark.

A red filter, if a good one allowing the proper wavelengths, should work very well. Since it's only passing a small portion of an emitter's spectrum, it should not only provide a good wavelength for preserving night vision, but also have a strong dimming effect as well, which will also be important for preserving night vision.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mosquitos are sensitive to body heat, which is how they can still find you even in the dark.

A red filter, if a good one allowing the proper wavelengths, should work very well. Since it's only passing a small portion of an emitter's spectrum, it should not only provide a good wavelength for preserving night vision, but also have a strong dimming effect as well, which will also be important for preserving night vision.

Exactly what I meant, but in more words :D

Do you know if there are any 630 - 680 nm filters? Not sure if Fenix ever mentioned what theirs isN but it definitely is not so deep red.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly what I meant, but in more words :D

Do you know if there are any 630 - 680 nm filters? Not sure if Fenix ever mentioned what theirs isN but it definitely is not so deep red.

I've been trying to determine if a standard #29 deep red photographic filter is in the proper range, but have yet to find anything reliable whether it is or not. I suspect it would be, but I could be wrong. That's all I can think of that might be the right range of wavelengths.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to determine if a standard #29 deep red photographic filter is in the proper range, but have yet to find anything reliable whether it is or not. I suspect it would be, but I could be wrong. That's all I can think of that might be the right range of wavelengths.

You know what, I haven't even realized this until today: I think that in the the Lee filter sample pack they give a graph of the bandpass... I'll have to jump on that when I get home. There must be at least one filter in the proper range...

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what, I haven't even realized this until today: I think that in the the Lee filter sample pack they give a graph of the bandpass... I'll have to jump on that when I get home. There must be at least one filter in the proper range...

Any info would be appreciated! If it is indeed the right band-pass, then we could be on to something very useful!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any info would be appreciated! If it is indeed the right band-pass, then we could be on to something very useful!

I knew I was forgetting to check something! I'll put a note in my pocket... I need this for myself as I often need a flashlight in dark rooms.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally checked my LEE filters pack:

Primary Red #106 transmission starts at ~580 (but very low) and good for 600+ nm transmittance
Bright Red (HT) 026 : the curve is pretty much a straight line from 600 to 700 then starts settling at ~80% transmittance going up
Plasma Red #029: about the same curve, but softer
Blood Red #789: very little transmittance from 600 to 700, then goes up fast towards 80% transmittance
Best so far: Marius Red #787: Starts sharp at 650nm and hits 80% around 675nm

I might have a good occasion to test the last one sometime in January with actual film. Now to decide if I should dedicate a light for that or make an adaptor...