Boosting the output of bogus Chinese triple LED MR16 lamps ?

gentlegreen

Newly Enlightened
I make my own bike lights of novel design and a core principle of mine is not to reinvent the wheel, so I used car lights for many years, and lately domestic MR16s, and a few years back noticed oversized triple MR16 LED spots becoming available on a popular auction site.
Since they were labelled "6 watts", I wasn't that keen as I was already using some expensive and genuinely good single LED-based lamps of around 4 / 5 watts that actually fitted inside 50mm plumbing fittings like the QH ones do..

But the next time I looked, they were labelled "9 watts", so I thought I'd take a gamble - only about £10 UKP shipped from China - ultimately I bought two each from two different suppliers.

Predictably when I stuck a meter in the circuit, I found they were drawing from 0.45 to 0.61 amps from my 13-ish volt NiMH batteries - so about 6 watts.
I amused myself by allowing the suppliers to try to bribe me to remove my negative comments - which I of course refused to do.

But they are in wonderful alloy housings, and after fixing a few of their limitations - lack of thermal paste and screws etc, they work very well indeed as 6 watt bike lights.

k16f7l.jpg

Then last week I spotted that a famous warehouser (the biggest) with a reputation I have come to trust, was stocking masses of these things from various suppliers and some were being labelled as "12 watts" - and the word "Cree"had appeared - though when it arrived, on reading the box, it turned out that this was the other famous manufacturer of LEDs - "Rotundity Cree" - and even better LEDs as this lamp would "replace an 80 watt Halogen" (the supplier claims the confusion is due to using the same box for many types of lamps ! )

It arrived promptly, similar price, slightly different driver with two inductors - presumably to allow dimming...
Not surprisingly it lit up no brighter than the others and when I stuck a meter on it, half an amp ....

I lodged a formal complaint with the warehouser (I don't plan to leave it alone there as a quick skim revealed masses of similar hyped products - apparently from different sources - though they also handle homoeopathic "medicines" and lots of other dubious products - which doesn't bode well).

I also emailed the company concerned and got a load of guff about why they were selling these as "12 watts" - but they withdrew it from sale - of course leaving lots of other variants - including GU10 - I'm almost tempted to try one of those too.
Their basic claim was that the LEDs themselves were good for 4 watts x 3, but that they had skimped on the driver module to cut costs- which is indeed teeny - inductor-based, but no heatsink.

Any guesses as to what will happen if I upgrade the driver or replace it with a resistor or LM317 and supply nearer to 1 amp to the series of LEDs ??

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runs brighter, hotter, and as well as you build it. You could put a flashlight driver in or run it direct-drive on a 3S lithium cell or a 9s NiMH pack.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any guesses as to what will happen if I upgrade the driver or replace it with a resistor or LM317 and supply nearer to 1 amp to the series of LEDs ??

Depends on if the LED is fake too.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
When I searched for "rotundity Cree" before, the couple of results I got all showed the Cree logo associated, but that one doesn't, and doesn't attempt to even use the colours.

Definitely not a Cree package, looks like a typical generic Chinese power LED, though I believe someone recently mentioned a brand-name LED that looks similar, perhaps Osram?
I've got the same type of LED in some recently purchased el-cheapo 240V GU10s, nothing special but for the price and what I'll be using it for it'll definitely do the job. Mine weren't labeled as Cree in any way though.

On a side note, I assume that under these round phosphors there's a square die?

gentlegreen

Newly Enlightened
So the likelihood these things would release their magic smoke if I let them handle more than 2 watts each ?
A quick Google suggests these lamps fail pretty rapidly when used indoors.

I did have to swap out my "dipped beam" lamp a few months back as it seemed to be intermittently going dim ... but it could have been my wiring. ...