Surefire M6 with Malkoff MD60 drop-in....battery options

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Does using a Malkoff MD60 drop-in give you the option to use rechargeable batteries on the M6? Can anyone shed some light on this question. Been searching for a while on the subject and not seeing any info.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have lots of options as long as you maintain the voltage between 6.5 and 14 volts as shown on the Malkoff site. Using the stock holder you could fill it up with 6x 16340's, fresh off the charger, and be right around 12.6V. Although, I've got to admit, that thought makes me a little nervous.

I second the suggestion from Darvis about using the 2x18650 holder, unless you already have a bunch of 17670's laying around, in which case you might want to try the 3x17670 version. The drop-in will work with either combination.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Awesome thank you guys. I see the Malkoff MD60 is out of stock on their site? Is there any other way of getting it? Is it discontinued?

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
i think i will order the 18650 dual holder. What are some good rechargeable 18650 batteries to get along with a good charger that won't break the bank?

Also, (sorry for the noob questions), can the dual 18650 holder be used with the incandescent MN20/MN21 bulbs or it will destroy them?

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone help?

Can the dual 18650 holder be used with the incandescent MN20/MN21 bulbs?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone help?

Can the dual 18650 holder be used with the incandescent MN20/MN21 bulbs?

Yes, but it may cause the MN21 to burn out sooner. No problems with the MN20.

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

And there is also the option of Lumensfactory bulbs too - I am running a M3T bulb and a 2x18650 holder in my M6, and a similar bulb in my M4 with 2x17670

Kaban

Newly Enlightened

And there is also the option of Lumensfactory bulbs too - I am running a M3T bulb and a 2x18650 holder in my M6, and a similar bulb in my M4 with 2x17670

I noticed in the description for the dual 18650 holder, it says the M21 can be used with this adapter if proper cells are used. What exactly are "proper cells"?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed in the description for the dual 18650 holder, it says the M21 can be used with this adapter if proper cells are used. What exactly are "proper cells"?

I believe it is referring to IMR cells since the MN21 has a pretty high amp draw. It could damage non-IMR cells.

Darvis

Enlightened
The AW IMR's are a great option. I actually really like the Callies Kustom 2200mah IMR's as well, just don't mix and match the brands!

Do yourself a favor and drop the coin for a Pila IBC charger as well....

BTW, I run the MN21 with the IMR's with no problem and also have a bi-pin adapter for the various WA bulbs that can be used with it.

The rechargeables really make sense when using incans, saves $$$$ But listen, be careful as the IMR batteries DO NOT have over discharge protection as would the AW protected 18650's.

The MD60 will blink when voltage is low, but the incans will not... IMR's can handle lower discharge volatges, but they also need to be recharged very soon after being discharged. Bottom line, don't run the light until it's dim and brown, err on the side of caution and change batteries often under heavy use...

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
The AW IMR's are a great option. I actually really like the Callies Kustom 2200mah IMR's as well, just don't mix and match the brands!

Do yourself a favor and drop the coin for a Pila IBC charger as well....

BTW, I run the MN21 with the IMR's with no problem and also have a bi-pin adapter for the various WA bulbs that can be used with it.

The rechargeables really make sense when using incans, saves $$$$ But listen, be careful as the IMR batteries DO NOT have over discharge protection as would the AW protected 18650's.

The MD60 will blink when voltage is low, but the incans will not... IMR's can handle lower discharge volatges, but they also need to be recharged very soon after being discharged. Bottom line, don't run the light until it's dim and brown, err on the side of caution and change batteries often under heavy use...

Awesome info. Thank you Sir.

How do you go about knowing when the IMR's are charged enough but not too much or too little?