Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All!

I would just like to ask among those who got to be the first batch of new SC52 owners how their SC52 is holding up?

Is it good?

Would you recommend it?

It's currently back-ordered at ZL's website, cant imagine it was sold out right way! :)

Feedback would be appreciated!

Muchas Gracias! :)

pocketlight

Newly Enlightened
I got mine two days ago, so far so good, its my new EDC, the output is great for an AA but it does get pretty warm, i really like the new clip

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine two days ago, so far so good, its my new EDC, the output is great for an AA but it does get pretty warm, i really like the new clip

Is the new clip screwed on still or one of the clip on clips?
They always seem to come off on me when I don't want them to.

pocketlight

Newly Enlightened
the new clip is screwed on, thats why i got it. All my other ZLs have the clip issue

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting for mine, ordered from there site over a month ago. I'm starting to wonder if they where already sold out ?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very pleased with my SC52. It feels great in the hand. Much better than my old SC51. I really like the high output on 14500 and the stiffer, heavily recessed button. Tailcap lockout is definitely not needed with this light. My SC52 also has a very pleasant pure cool white tint without any noticeable green. Similar in tint to my SC80 and much whiter than my SC51. The SC52 is my new EDC.

I'm pleased enough with my SC52, that I plan to buy another at some point in the future. Likely I'll get one with a neutral emitter or possibly an XPG2 to try out one with more throw.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
I expected a phenominal edc light, and the sc52 did not disappoint. I ordered a second unit, but then cancelled that order upon news of the new and improved sc600 MKll. I also want the s6330 or 6330b.

The only lights that catch my interest these days are from ZebraLight. During Black Friday, I almost bought TM11 at a heavy discount. Almost bought an armytek viking X on sale, and looked at many other lights. Even with Black Friday savings, full priced zebras were the only options that remained for me.

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
I am an SC52 owner, but not possessor. I paid for it, but have not received it yet. A shipping notification should come my way in the next 2 weeks.

Lighteous

Enlightened
If you like the SC51 you will also like the SC52. I like the SC52 and have no hesitation in recommending it. The body design is different, as can be seen in photo's, and the switch is also different to alleviate accidental turn on's in your pocket. The body design doesn't strike me as better or worse, just different. The switch is much better even though it is stiff in comparison to the switch on the SC51. I really like the battery level checker where you click the switch four times rapidly in succession and, in response, the SC52 returns a specific number of flashes, 1-4, to indicate battery level. One is the lowest and 4 is the highest. The XM-L is very bright and floody. I have mostly used a 14500 in mine. The output on the highest setting is very impressive, but it does get warm in a hurry. The various levels in between the highest and lowest are spaced well. You can easily find the appropriate level for the need you may have. Only the lights with the "infinitely variable" control ring have more levels for your custom needs (which is why I favor them over all others). Yesterday I used my SC52 to provide the light necessary for connecting a number of components to an audio visual system where there was no light, and I have no complaints.

I was fortunate enough to pre-order my SC52 early. If you haven't ordered one and are thinking about it, or if you are waiting for delivery from the pre-order backlog, it will be worth the wait once it arrives, IMHO.

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
If you like the SC51 you will also like the SC52. I like the SC52 and have no hesitation in recommending it. The body design is different, as can be seen in photo's, and the switch is also different to alleviate accidental turn on's in your pocket. The body design doesn't strike me as better or worse, just different. The switch is much better even though it is stiff in comparison to the switch on the SC51. I really like the battery level checker where you click the switch four times rapidly in succession and, in response, the SC52 returns a specific number of flashes, 1-4, to indicate battery level. One is the lowest and 4 is the highest. The XM-L is very bright and floody. I have mostly used a 14500 in mine. The output on the highest setting is very impressive, but it does get warm in a hurry. The various levels in between the highest and lowest are spaced well. You can easily find the appropriate level for the need you may have. Only the lights with the "infinitely variable" control ring have more levels for your custom needs (which is why I favor them over all others). Yesterday I used my SC52 to provide the light necessary for connecting a number of components to an audio visual system where there was no light, and I have no complaints.

I was fortunate enough to pre-order my SC52 early. If you haven't ordered one and are thinking about it, or if you are waiting for delivery from the pre-order backlog, it will be worth the wait once it arrives, IMHO.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now. The experience has been mostly like Lighteous's above. I ran one Eneloop through it and the rest of the time it's been 14500's (from ZL). While I just love to see that little thing chug up 500 lumens the most used setting is 108 lumens. Lots of light and burn time. It's like carrying a feather compared to the SC600 that's been in my pocket for the last 15 months. I miss the great runtimes with lots of light that the SC600 gives but it's only theoretical since the SC52 is plenty for a single battery. The SC52 had done well for after dark walks, finding stuff in the dark, and even becomes a marker light.

I have not tried a lithium primary in it yet. Anybody have a report on that?

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
I've been interested in buying a Zebralight, but have occasionally been put off by the old tales of the reliability of ZL lights in the past but with the new SC52 I'm looking interested. My two benchmarks in bombproofness are my HDS and 47's (Quark 123). How would the SC52 or any of the previous versions compare?.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn:

Waiting for my budget to be back in balance and for the neutral edition before ordering. From the specs and what I read, this is the Zebra I was waiting for.
SC600 MKII? Crap! Didn't see that, but I've been expecting it... will have to start eating rice for a while...

passive101

Enlightened
I received my SC52 today and this light is TINY! (I know the ironic part of using large capital letters for that)

I don't know of ZebraLights past quality issues, but it says it has a 12 month warranty and it looks and feels well built. The light is very little and light and the length of it is even smaller then my last few single 123A lights! Amazing how small and bright these things are getting.

The battery level w/ the 4 flashes is handy and I get that. I have read the instructions several times, but I don't understand the special settings with 6 presses that doesn't seem to do anything. The regular light settings seem to work goo though. I'm probably not understanding what to do and don't understand what other settings are available that it can remember or use or what order they would go in.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am technically a SC52 owner, because I paid for it, but I dont posses it yet. However it is due to be delivered today, but right now its 4:42pm eastern standard time, and my &#%%#* mailman isnt here yet..... Even though its listed as "out for delivery", that can often mean nothing. My mail guy, and USPS in general have a regular habit of either not delivering it the day its listed as out for delivery, or he has even marked items as delivered, then forgotten to actually deliver them.

But it always amazes me just how late I have to usually wait into the evening for him to finally get here, and its not uncommon for him to not show up til 6:30pm, which is way later than he should be out delivering mail. We must be among his absolute last stops along his route!

If things go right, maybe I'll be posting here in a couple hours telling stories of my new light, but maybe not, and I wont hold my breath!

Richsvt

Newly Enlightened
I got mine a 2 days ago and it works wonderfully. It has a nice hot spot and seems like it may be close to what the advertised output is (as compared to some of my others that are close...) as far as my eye can tell. The only thing I do not like is a slight green tint to it. Other than that, I like the output, size and functionality. I have been carrying it around for the last couple of days to get a feel for the operation. Interface is ok, I just came off the Sunwayman v series with variable tuning ring. I liked that a lot. Still getting used to the side switch. This seems pretty nice otherwise. I think it will be a keeper. Have used both lithiums and eneloops and both seem like they hold up well.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.... My mail guy finally got here at 5:25pm. Its now about 5:50 and I've had some time to check out the SC52 with an Eneloop 1.2v battery and a 4.2v 14500 battery as well. On the Eneloop, the SC52 is pretty bright. Whether its 280L or not I dont know but its close. Most of its lower levels seem pretty useful as well. It has a low low. Its lowest low setting is actually lower than my SC600's lowest low setting.

On a 14500 it is very bright, and if 500L is whats advertised with the 14500, then its pretty close to that. The other lower modes work on the 14500 too, unlike my Jetbeam Pa10 which only works on turbo with a 14500. But I slipped the Eneloop back in the SC52 because thats what I'll be using in that light. If I need a 450+ lumen light, then I'll use the SC600 or another 18650 light which has much better run times and wont get as hot. Besides, I dont hardly every really need that much brightness anyway, and lets face it, 280L is more than I will usually need.

But to the biggest complaint and issue that has been raised about this light, ie. its tint, mine is almost neutral. There's only a very slight yellowish hue around the outer corona outside the hot spot, but when I compared it to a couple other lights that are more yellow and even one that is greenish, this light then looks completely neutral and white in comparison! You can just barely detect the slight yellow in its corona, but its hot spot is 95% neutral white.

The size of its beam is what I'd call intermediate. Its hot spot is a good deal smaller in diameter than the Sc600. So it should be somewhere between a flooder and a thrower.

It is a very small light. Its smaller than I thought it would be, and it feels about 1/3 the weight of the SC600. So overall, its seems like a nice light.

Last edited:

henry1960

Enlightened
But it always amazes me just how late I have to usually wait into the evening for him to finally get here, We must be among his absolute last stops along his route!

You and i must have the same mail man...LOL
I go through the same my friend... i swear he starts delivering at 1100 am while others start way eariler.
Anyway youll love your new addition SC52 is a great light just like many said on here!!

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
I should report on my tint color. My tint is very close to neutral as well. Very slightly warm and I can distinguish reds very good in the dark :)