My flashlight saved me from injury stories

ragweed

Enlightened
My flashlight has saved my buns more times than I can count..! Just a few of the dangerous ones: roller skate left in hallway....copper head outside while going out to adjust the TV antenna... skunk spotted while feeding the cat for the night...board left in grass with nails facing up..!!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Those boards!

Where I go, there are some unfriendly people who feel justified in setting up a few boards with nails sticking up, with some scattered leaves to camo them, other booby traps, etc.

I was walking with a buddy who was using a streamlight with a very focused beam, I had my Klarus XT11 out. That night he stepped on what seemed like every damn board trap, his tight spot was too hard to sweep effectively and see details like a rusty nail poking up through dead leaves. I didn't step on any...and I DID spot a ton of them first.

So, the XT11's ability to see the details on the path we were on was - for me at least - excellent at preventing injury. His steel shanked boots did prevent him from needing a trip to the emergency room though at least. A inopportune trip onto one of those rusty nailed boards would be another story.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Those boards!

Where I go, there are some unfriendly people who feel justified in setting up a few boards with nails sticking up, with some scattered leaves to camo them, other booby traps, etc.

I was walking with a buddy who was using a streamlight with a very focused beam, I had my Klarus XT11 out. That night he stepped on what seemed like every damn board trap, his tight spot was too hard to sweep effectively and see details like a rusty nail poking up through dead leaves. I didn't step on any...and I DID spot a ton of them first.

So, the XT11's ability to see the details on the path we were on was - for me at least - excellent at preventing injury. His steel shanked boots did prevent him from needing a trip to the emergency room though at least. A inopportune trip onto one of those rusty nailed boards would be another story.

Where, exactly, did you go that people were setting board traps?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hanging a Video Projector years ago,a big heavy one when the guy helping me just let go for some unknowable reason?
Somehow the thing would have crushed my hand badly but instead again somehow the Mag 2D took the hit instead!
My hand was fine under the projector which was now propped up by the Mag.

Who says they are not good for anything?

Ed

ragweed

Enlightened
My board with nails was not a trap just a careless youngster not cleaning up his wood working project.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Where, exactly, did you go that people were setting board traps?

I cannot divulge that information.

Suffice it to say that it is a location known for illegal activity, and efforts to interfere with apprehension.

I can divulge a different location where they do the same thing, but, I am at liberty to mention, albeit have no injury story: The NJ Pine Barrens

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

Suffice it to say that it is a location known for illegal activity, and efforts to interfere with apprehension.

I can divulge a different location where they do the same thing, but, I am at liberty to mention, albeit have no injury story: The NJ Pine Barrens

lol, was about to guess the abandoned buildings in newark

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

Abandoned building in Newark would fit the bill too, except that board traps are not as easily concealed by dead leaves there, as that would require TREES to supply them.

:D

They DO conceal things like that under newspaper and other detritus though...same effect.

"Home Alone" style door traps are actually more popular though in urban settings.

The shotgun, etc, wired to the doorknob and pulley set-up is even found from time to time...so when the door is pulled open, it pulls the trigger on the gun aimed at the doorway.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was walking the dog, I was crossing a driveway entrance. Some lady was driving towards the entrance from across a main road.
I could she wasn't about to stop at the BIG RED STOP SIGN, so I whipped out my SPY, flicked to HIGH in one motion as I pointed it at her windshield. She hit the binders & skidded through the stop sign onto the main road. She didn't hit me and luckily there were no cars coming cross ways.
Couldn't tell if she was texting or what, but it scared the bejeebers out of both of us. Probably prevented injuries on both sides.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened

I was thinking that might be what it was. Around here they mostly use broken glass and trip wires. Though I have heard of one case where a guy rigged a shotgun to a window.

Onthelightside

Enlightened

Why are you going to theese places? Police work or something. I really don't get it.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing quite as dire as TEEJ's nail traps, on numerous occasions while taking the dog for his 'evening constitutional' I've had a car traveling too fast along the road where I walk. I always pack two lights, one flood {M@GMule] and one thrower. I will raise the thrower above my head and point it at at the car's hood, not wanting to blind the driver just get their attention. I'll wag the other light at the same time. Most slow down but I've had a few come to a complete stop. One driver hollered to me he thought it was "close encounters of the third kind". I will mention that the road is in a well-to-do neighborhood but has NO street lights, one house has had at least 3 near misses from cars skidding off the corner due to excess speed.

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
+11 to veering off oncoming cars. :scowl:

99 out of 100 peeps is driving 10 mph and watching... :twothumbs

... but #100 is doing 55 lighting a cig texting beating the kid and smoking crack at the same time... :sick2:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
+11 to veering off oncoming cars. :scowl:

99 out of 100 peeps is driving 10 mph and watching... :twothumbs

... but #100 is doing 55 lighting a cig texting beating the kid and smoking crack at the same time... :sick2:

Sounds like #100 is too busy to notice the light.

I keep an LX2 in my coat pocket at all times, and I use it to light up the road, when I cross it in a poorly lit place. It always causes cars to slow down and pay attention.

Kodachrome40

Newly Enlightened
I have an old habit of turning on my EDC flashlight when I am going up and down a flight of stairs. Most stairwells are not well-lite and lots of times automatic timers just simply turn off the lights.
A couple of weeks ago I was helping an elderly family member down a flight of stairs and lights just cut out. She would certainly have stumbled and possibly taken me down with her.

K40

Itchrelief

Newly Enlightened
Not from injury, but from stepping on a log of dog excrement while fetching the mail at night. Cool white wasn't the best choice for spotting dog doo, but I managed to finally recognize what it was about two feet before stepping on it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why do people set up booby traps in the Pine Barrens? Is it to protect 'gardens'?

There have been countless times where I might have tripped and fallen down into a ditch or into a hole had it not been for a flashlight.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not from injury, but from stepping on a log of dog excrement while fetching the mail at night. Cool white wasn't the best choice for spotting dog doo, but I managed to finally recognize what it was about two feet before stepping on it.

Up until about a year ago I had to walk the dogs at least 2-3 times at night so they could poop/pee, so I'd walk them all over our old wooded 1.3 acre property, always with a light in hand. But one dog was put down because of heart trouble and the other died last winter of old age(14). Sold that house and moved last march. It was a great property to test lights due to the semi-rural area. Cant say the same of the new house due to the street lamps and we live on a cul de sac surrounded by other houses on a 1/4 acre lot.

Latest posts