Protac HL, Can you use rechargeable cr123a batteries?

damaster698

Newly Enlightened
So this will be my first post on this forum, and also this will be my first purchase of a "real" flashlight :). I am excited to recieve the Protac HL I ordered for christmas! Anyways I am concerned about the amount of money I might be spending on this light becuase it only has a runtime of about 1.5 hours on Max (600 Lumen) power. So my question to you seasoned professionals... Is there a rechargeable solution to this that is safe and highly reccomended? Streamlight says no but I would like to confirm this. Thanks looking forward to this forum

ZT Man

Newly Enlightened
The ProTac HL is a great light, I have this light for several months now and it never leaves my side. As far as batteries go though I just run Primary 123, I don't believe that any two "16340" rechargeable 123s will work because the voltage would be to great for the light to handle. Now Surefire just came out with a rechargeable battery system to fit their lights so this might be an option however I have no experience with this system. Hope any of this helps and hope you enjoy the ProTac HL.

damaster698

Newly Enlightened
Thanks A lot guys! I'm waiting for this light to come as a christmas gift from the girlfriend :). I was hoping that I could use rechargeable batteries with this light because I don't want to burn through primaries because of the cost. I did see the Surefire rechargeable cr123's and a charger on their website although they happen to be out of stock. Since this light is safe for the surefire model I am sure the voltage is safe enough for the protac HL. I just didn't want to risk putting to much voltage through it and messing up my brand new light. I am looking forward to this beast of a light thats for sure 600 Lumens in just a small package, I can't wait to try it out.