LedLenser F1, M7RX and M14X

yliu

Enlightened
I've just noticed these new lights on ledlenser's website.

The F1 runs on 1xCR123 at 400 lumens

M7RX - 600 lumens with 1x18650

M14 - 659 lumens on 4xAA

They all use the so called 'Xtreme Power LEDs' which is probably an XML.

Still waiting for the X21 with upgraded LEDs:devil:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found a bit more info on the F1.
It's 69 grams and 88 mm long.
It has a reversible clip. The base of the clip is a ring that goes completely around the body of the light so that it cannot slip off accidentally.
It has 3 modes (probably high-low-strobe).
IPX8 waterproofing
HAIII anodize.
It has a fixed focus designed for short range use.... It does NOT have a variable focus like other LED Lensers.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Apart from the unusual body styling, it sounds like pretty typical performance for a 1xCR123 XML light. The only real reason to get an LED Lenser is for their variable focusing system... a feature which seems absent from this light.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a chance to do some measurements with M14 X and the results are rather disappointing. It achieves the claimed 650 lumens only when you keep the button half pressed to run it in boost mode. Normal 100% mode has less than 400 lumens.

Edi

Newly Enlightened
Give the Germans a chance! They have obviously been listening to suggestions and are trying to give us what we want... I don't see surefire trying much harder. I think these lights are impressive and am contemplating the f1, not sure if it can take rcr's though? The m7rx is abit overpriced in my opinion though...

just my 2 cents

yliu

Enlightened
The F1 seems like a very cool design, and it also has a more "traditional" beam profile with a hotspot and spill with promising specs.

The light haven't came out yet in my area, but I have a strong feeling that the price tag will be quite high.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fancy giving that F1 a go,all my LL,s have been ok no issues with any.Have noticed they are creeping up in price and getting above a lot of the competition.I have also noticed in there marketing that they are one of the biggest in the world now in terms of portable lighting.

There tv ad for the F1 is very upmarket.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the F1: 400 lumens on a CR123 primary sounds like very good output. Definitely a step up for LED Lenser. Usually they are behind in emitter technology, but to get this kind of output, that must no longer be the case. Most other CR123 lights only achieve this level of output when run on 3.7v 16340 li-ion cells.

LEDburn

Enlightened
www.ledlenser.com.au/products/high-performance-line/f-series/f1/

They claim 400 lumens from an XP-G2 powered by one CR123. I have no reason to doubt that claim.
What I really do NOT like is the runtime of 120 minutes. This is measured on low from turn on till it drops to 1 lumen.

From that, I think it is safe to say one of two things:
1) The "low" is nowhere near low enough, or;
2) The efficiency absolutely sucks.

My Zebralight SC52 can put out just over 100 lumens for nearly 3 hours on an Eneloop!

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The F1 does not work with rechargeables!
It is concieved as a backup type light.

At some point there will be an F1R though (please consider that they also started making an X21R after a while).
The company is also extensively working together with German flashaholics in the TLF (German flashlight forum) to create a "dream edc light".

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I've liked the idea of LL's zoom optic for years, but never bought one. That's because when I compare them with other, similarly priced lights, the zoom optic is the only thing that still appeals to me about LL.

The M14X looks interesting but is it really worth about 50% more than the Eagletac SX25A6 that's on the way to me?

I really want to like LEDLenser but I end up wishing that someone else had developed the optic.

The optic might work very well for the way I tend to use lights when I'm out night hiking. I often want to go from close up flood to long range sniping and juggling two lights to optimise that is a pain.

I stand ready to be persuaded...

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The company is also extensively working together with German flashaholics in the TLF (German flashlight forum) to create a "dream edc light".

Kudos to them for that - but they've a long way to go to convince me. They're still too expensive for what they offer, zoomability means nothing to me, they at least have regulation now in some lights, but refuse to specify the emitter by name or bin (I HATE brands that stamp their own name on a part and will not say what it really is).

That and the massive stigma associated with their name and the luddites that typically get suckered into paying way too much for their gear.

I'm sure one day they'll make a light I might buy, but they're a way off from it yet.

wonkycows

Newly Enlightened
A good friend bought me a P7 lenser as present (thanks mate). He's used one for years for light painting underground photography where zoomable lighting is an advantage. I must admit that the lenser produces a nicer light for photography than the cheaper Chinese zoomable lights. So for this it's an excellent piece of kit. However, it's not the light I use for the underground exploring itself, just for the photography.
One of the things I've noticed about they're range until now is the lack of difference between they're models. By that I mean they all mostly seem to have a similar output level and also I can't distinguish between them to look at.

So it's nice to see something different coming from them.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've liked the idea of LL's zoom optic for years, but never bought one. That's because when I compare them with other, similarly priced lights, the zoom optic is the only thing that still appeals to me about LL.

The M14X looks interesting but is it really worth about 50% more than the Eagletac SX25A6 that's on the way to me?

I really want to like LEDLenser but I end up wishing that someone else had developed the optic.

The optic might work very well for the way I tend to use lights when I'm out night hiking. I often want to go from close up flood to long range sniping and juggling two lights to optimise that is a pain.

I stand ready to be persuaded...

I am fed up of seeing them in near on every shop in the UK that you maybe able to get a decent light from,they are everywhere.One day I hope I might find a shop that has Fenix or similar in,but I fancy giving the F1 a go just because i quite like LL.

utlgoa

Enlightened
I own the M7RX and its a great light, but I am in the process of mailing it back to Led Lenser a second time for a loose lens.

I still have faith in the company and I am looking forward to purchasing the M17R as soon as it is on the market. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwQ4ciaUnY

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
Thanks for posting that Robin!
I have to agree with parnass' analogy, too bad really. I thought it was a great looking light, right up until you turn it on.