New maglight solitair LED

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
My Thoughts?

1. What took so long?
2. 37lm seems a little low but for most things thats enough
3. It is probably to late to get me back to MagLite's I used them for a 17 year career in Law Enforcement and left them for Surefire. Then left Surefire for 4Sevens and Jetbeam, dont think I can be coaxed back unless they set new benchmarks for performance or runtime, not just for MagLite but for the industry, and I don't see that down the road for MagLite.
4. It does bring back memories, Got my first Solitare in 1989 and carried one on the keys untill I got my ITP A3, some 20 years later!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of what people will say around here this one needs to be tested personally. Like Whiteoakjoe I had been carrying one in my pocket for years and years starting in 1988, actually I had to buy a number of them, all black, because I lost them or broke them, or gave them away ...
I still find Solitaires in odd drawers, pockets of old jackets, etc.

tam17

Enlightened
http://www.maglite.com/maglite_solitaire_led.asp
Go and look for your selves if this is true i might jut turn back in to a maglight user (for edc) but I have not been able to find one for sale online
please post your thoughts about this!

There are few existing threads about new Solitaire on CPF, and a pretty informative review on another flashlight-related website. If you search a bit more, you'll find the answer why Solitaires aren't available in stores yet.

And yes, welcome to CPF:wave:

Cheers

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
My Thoughts?
3. It is probably to late to get me back to MagLite's I used them for a 17 year career in Law Enforcement and left them for Surefire. Then left Surefire for 4Sevens and Jetbeam, dont think I can be coaxed back unless they set new benchmarks for performance or runtime, not just for MagLite but for the industry, and I don't see that down the road for MagLite.
Oddly enough, that's how I feel about it as well.
My duty light went through a lengthy (although not as lengthy as your 17 years) from the maglites I knew as a child camping and ended up at what we have now as the wonder illumination hand cannons. My Stinger and Strion holsters on my old rigs still make me nostalgic.

It's a shame that Maglite seems to have struggled with keeping up.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna buy one and try it out when they come to a store in my area.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too late. If they bring out an upgrade module for less than I paid for the one tha's rotting in my car as a backupo of the backup, fine, otherwise... Ultra-bright??? Perhaps for one who hasn't seen the HF.

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Yah I was looking at it some more thinking "sometimes my 100ish lumen light isn't bright enough for the work I do so 30 lumens just seems like a last ditch effort for maglights.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steamlight and Pelican's new aaa lights are under 40 lumens. If it has a smooth reflector it'll keep up with the floodier keychains in use ability and dominate in runtime. 511 Atac 1aaa light is under 40 lumens, that'd probably where my money goes towards next. (Unless the solitaire led shows up on a shelf) I'm only so strong ;)

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
I have done a bit of searching and only one site sells it currently and at $9,999.99 as a joke...

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
I have done a bit of searching and only one site sells it currently and at $9,999.99 as a joke...

How many are you getting? :grin2:

I have to agree w/ the others. They are way behind the technology curve. A saying comes to mind - day late dollar short?

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah but a bit of a pity, I have some solitaire and my dad has some 4d maglights that even if the batteries leak, just put new ones in and it start every time and they look super sleek, I have a new (well like half a year old) maglight mini 2 aa light that I have beaten the **** put of and still works latterly I have thrown it across some pavement at least 4 times when accidentally letting go when swinging it

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Oh one thing that is wrong with it, it now has a rock permanently imbedded in the end cap giving it a "lock" making it hard to open and close but it still works

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Oh I hear ya, durability has never seemed to be their issue, just haven't kept up with the expectations of us flashaholics. For that reason they may still stand a chance, but I will prob never buy another mag - unless for drop in purposes.

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Yah it kinda sad I got a cheap cree flashlight like 120 lumens and my dad could not get over how much brighter it was then his 4d cell

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah it kinda sad I got a cheap cree flashlight like 120 lumens and my dad could not get over how much brighter it was then his 4d cell

i think it's because maglite is so entrenched in the market they probably could care less on a corporate level

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but a bit of a pity, I have some solitaire and my dad has some 4d maglights that even if the batteries leak, just put new ones in and it start every time and they look super sleek, I have a new (well like half a year old) maglight mini 2 aa light that I have beaten the **** put of and still works latterly I have thrown it across some pavement at least 4 times when accidentally letting go when swinging it

They are still very usable lights, but my 4-5 year old L0D is more than twice that bright and has 3 modes. It is not a piece of cr*p, just already outdated by more a decade before it hits the shelves. Of course, it will probably be king of 10$ lights in quality, but definitely not taking into consideration the flashaholic market.

Really??? You did it over 4 times? You know flashaholism is the only reason you need to get a new light, right? ;)

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
But it's kinda fun to see a light that you only paid $25 dollars slam in to the ground and everyone goes "omg you just broke your light" then you pick it up tighten the end cap (sometimes gets knocked a bit lose) and it works perfectly fine hehehe

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
All spectrum looks like they sold a few, then cancelled there online sale and put the price to what it looks like now. Very strange.

Its a shame there not readily available, but this is MagLite so it will hit the shelves someday soon

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it's kinda fun to see a light that you only paid $25 dollars slam in to the ground and everyone goes "omg you just broke your light" then you pick it up tighten the end cap (sometimes gets knocked a bit lose) and it works perfectly fine hehehe

So true! And people still freak out when you show them it's fine, hehe.