Spy Tri-V Spotlight

quine

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at pictures of the Spy Tri-V and noticed the aspheric lens over the XR-E emitter and the very projector-like beam that it produced. I'm trying to find out more about how that works, and if any other small flashlights offer that kind of beam. To be clear, I'm wondering how this is possible, as demonstrated in this review.

Thank you!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's essentially a short focus length magnifying glass used to project an image of the LED die. Many budget lights use them and are advertised as flood to throw. If you want to try it, look at the Sipik SK68, usually under $10, uses 1 AA battery, and has a move able aspherical lens.

Tiresius

Enlightened
The only difference between the Spy-V and the budget light lens is that Dave doesn't use cheapy plastic lens over the XR-E. The lens is of high quality--just like everything else in the light.

As for the aspheric setup, the projector will emit an exact image of what is shown behind it. As a result, the emitter die is shown. Generation 2 of the new LED will show a square with a bunch of dots behind an aspheric lens.