Shlould I keep my new Maglite 3D?

Megacam

Newly Enlightened
Well, I went to Home depot and was looking for the Defiant 500 lm 3C light. I am a fan of Maglite and noticed the Packaged 3D and 2AA XLE together for $30. Now I know the new Maglite 2D Pro will be available soon (or is already at some places) and it looks like an all-round better light, except for run time.

I like the thought of having something with some heft to it if needed :ironic:, but I'm more interested in getting a light with more throw than my XL200.

I want something to light up my backyard. Looking for throw with as much flood as possible.

I'd really love to have a triple XML like a TM15 or Thrunite TN30, but the price is a bit high.

So my question (s) are...

1. Are there any easy mods for the 3D Maglite that will make it outperform the new 2D that aren't too pricey?

2. Should I just return the 3D and pickup the new 2D?

3. Is the sale price of a TN30 for $156 (plus a free ti) a great deal or just an ok deal?

Please help...the 3D is sitting right beside me still in the plastic...just staring at me :eek:oo:

ragweed

Enlightened
I have used the old style 3D Mag for 15 years inspecting buildings. I was very happy with it except for 2 problems: if dropped the bulb was prone to break & it used battery cells pretty quick. Other than that it was a good light for night time use. I have no info on the new style 2 prong bulbs.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Um, you may or may not want to return it. The only reason I think you may want to return it is because you could use the money to buy the cheaper incan version and mod from there. There are a lot of mods made for maglites and a lot of mods you can make yourself, for maglites. I think it would be a worth while adventure to try and mod it yourself, it really is a nice feeling when you finally get it right. As for picking up the new 2D, I would say no, but I am a little biased. My favorite maglites are the old ones that didn't have any fancy modes or any such thing like electronic switches. I liked them when there were good, old fashioned click on, click off, use as hammer if necessary. :twothumbs

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the Defiant is only $19.88, I would buy it and keep the Maglite combo you purchased :naughty:, if the Maglite combo are LED lights! I have the Maglite 3D and the 2AA Mag, and $30.00 for both is a good price. While the 3D Maglite is not as bright as the Defiant, it will more than likely outlast it as far as durabilty goes, and is still a very bright light! I have two of the Defiants, and they seem like solid lights, but the Maglites have been proven reliable over time.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite LED are great cheap throwers, almost as good as a TK40!

Modwise, you have choices that are more interesting in output or runtime with the 3D than the 2D. Check out Malkoff and Terralux for starters. then there are more insane mods you can find on CPF.

langham

Enlightened
I have wanted a 3D maglight body since I started modding lights. I would keep it, get a piece of copper and direct mount one of the new XM-L2 U2 bin emitters, then drive it at 3A simple on off, but that is just me. They have almost limitless potential as a host, but as a ready to use package I would rather spend my money on any number of other lights and to answer you question about the TN30, yes that is a good deal. You may want to look into how much the Supbeam X40 will cost though as it may be cheaper and it will most likely be the exact same light. I always prefer an 18650 light as the technology is constantly getting better because of laptops and cell phones. Just my opinion though. My wife got the TN31 on sale and I am extremely happy with its quality and build.

Megacam

Newly Enlightened
Well, I would really like to keep it (made in USA and good quality), but I'd hate for a cheap Defiant to blow it away. This is the newer LED and I've been searching here and the web for a few days and haven't really found any mods for these LED models (XP-E). If anyone could point me in the right direction for mods for this particular light, that would be great!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would really like to keep it (made in USA and good quality), but I'd hate for a cheap Defiant to blow it away. This is the newer LED and I've been searching here and the web for a few days and haven't really found any mods for these LED models (XP-E). If anyone could point me in the right direction for mods for this particular light, that would be great!

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-mod-dropin-lamp-assembly-for-maglite-c-1_25.html

http://www.terraluxportable.com/products/led-conversion-kits/

http://www.google.ca/search?q=magli...1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.73GoalvXsbQ&oq=maglite+mod

Also, search CPF for Maglite mods.

None of these will be specific to the XP-E model; it is too recent, but ask in the mods section; it is probably very compatible with most mods.

"I can only show you the door, Neo. It is you who has to walk through it."

-Morpheus

Last edited:

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too happy about maglites use of XP-E emitters in their large lights. I'm sure they want to capture the "Gee, look how far it goes!" crowd but I was using once trying to get a racoon out of a tree in my back yard and I couldn't really see a thing because the tight spot had me blinded enough to where I really couldn't see anything around it, and the cool white made it even harder to find the critter. I ended up climbing up the tree to find it and get it down.

Btw that ended up with the racoon falling out of the tree, and then my dogs running around the yard with it.. It wasn't a happy racoon. I was able to catch it, took it in and gave it a bath to check for holes (there weren't any) (Oh, and it didn't like the bath too much either). Took it out front and it scurried off. I bet it woke up feeling wonderful the next morning...

Megacam

Newly Enlightened
Well, I emailed Malkoff and it seems that the newer XP-E Maglites cannot be modded with a drop-in becasue it does not have a removable lamp assembly. I'm assumng this means that I wouldn't be able to do any kind of drop-in type of upgrade. Don't think I'd want to completely gut a brand new light for a totally custom mod.

Seems like I'd be better off just returning it and getting the new Maglite 2D Pro. :confused:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Honestly, you can get the Pro if you want it, obviously no one can stop you, but if you don't have any other reason to get the Pro other than looking for an upgrade, you may want to get a 20$ 2D Incan and drop a Malkoff in that. I think you will enjoy the performance from the drop-in and you also get more options towards what you want that way. Though, it will be more money in the long run than just getting the 2D Pro. Your choice. Either way, I think that 3D XP-E Mag is going to get returned...

Latest posts