Poor Man's MagCharger

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Poor Man\'s MagCharger

I added a charging port to a Mag 3D. The center disk covers a 1/4in magnet, the outer ring is the negative contact

fa9e4cb1.jpg

The temporary connector (don't have the right spring yet} is held on to the port by a second 1/4in magnet whcih compresses the spring about 1/8in against the negative contact ring.

fa9e4cad.jpg

The magnets are held in small cups made of a short brass tube with a tin plated steel bottom. It is extremely difficult to solder to the magnets as the Curie point is only about 250C and is not very abrupt. An attempt to solder a contact with TIX solder in an oven at 150C reduced the magnets holding force by about half. Brass cups gave the same result, ergo the steel bottoms which act as field extenders. The holding force is about 90% of what two magnets in direct contact are. The contact wires could now be soldered to the cups before the magnets were inserted and super glued in place. The cup was super glued into an insulating ring that just passes through the grounding ring. The other cup was pressed into the end of the plastic connector body.

fa9e4cba.jpg

A 1/2in hole was drilled in the Mag body where the rear end of the switch is and the switch was modified to hold a diode and route the wire to the magnet contact.

fa9e4ca9.jpg

fa9e4ca3.jpg

The diode was pasted down with epoxy putty and the contact wire connected.

fa9e4ca1.jpg

The switch was pushed back into the body and the contact fished out and passed through the grounding ring.

fa9e4ca5.jpg

The ring was pressed into the body and the center contact pressed into the ring and cemented with a touch of super glue.

No wires from the tailcap with all the problems they cause and a "factory made" look.

Just add batteries and the charger of your choice...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poor Man\'s MagCharger

Whiskypapa3,

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

What a clever way to get the power to the batteries. As I understand it, you just connect to the two-terminal coaxial connector, and it is held it firmly in place by the force between the two magnets. And it naturally slides into the correct orientation because of the way you have situated the magnets.

I like it because there is no place for water to enter, it allows mating so easily, and it looks professional. I want to do what you have done. But I can see I would have difficulty gathering the proper components and preparing them for assembly. The cup made from brass and steel, for example, would be quite difficult for me to fabricate. And I know that I also would have trouble finding the right spring, not to mentiion the stock required to saw off an insulating ring, a grounding ring, a brass cup body, etc.

This is an exciting idea, and I believe that if you were to put together some kits, there would be a number of people wanting to buy them. I know I would be in for at least two kits.

Have you used it yet to charge your light?

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elegant.

I sure as hell can't do it but I sure can appreciate it.

Nicely done.

Wilkey

whiskypapa3

Enlightened

PaulW

When I do another run I will make some extra rings, inserts and cups and put them on B/S/T as kits. I am still waiting on the right springs to show up for this run but I think I'll have enough left over for another run and a few kits.

Ginseng

Thanks for the comment..

If I do kit up some all that is required is a 1/2in hole and some nibbling or Dremeling on the switch. The ring goes in with a couple of taps of a hammer.

These lights are used in "grab-n-go" duty once every couple of days. If the rechargable batts die away from the charger you can still use regular batts (unless you get too weird with the rechargables)...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

WP3,

Wonderful. I'm going to hope that you are able to make some kits (or even partial kits that would get someone started). The charging port is such a great idea, and you've done so much work on it that it would be sad if others of us could not share in it.

If you do decide to sell kits, I will want two. PayPal at the ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks.

Paul

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

whiskeypapa3, did you order the springs from a particular place, and if so, where?

Not sure I understand exactly how your hookup works, but if it's what I'm envisioning, the use of magnets really makes this design. Nice work!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif