NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Chinese "Super Tank" will be world's most powerful

Default Chinese \"Super Tank\" will be world\'s most powerful

China may share terrorist concerns with the US and the West, and their growing middle class and affluence perhaps mitigate against future military "adventurism", but they are accelerating the development of extremely sophisticated and powerful weapons systems.

The monster tank discussed below may or may not be vaporware, but on at least two contemporary main battle tanks the Chinese have been the first to field a laser "dazzler" that directly attacks aiming and acquisition capability of "enemy" tanks (perhaps ours).

Many people still think of the Chinese armed forces as bloated and primitive but it is being transformed into a future "super army". Even now they have more than 8,000 tanks, though of varying vintages. Eventually, they will match us and possibly surpass us in military capability.

Our military supremacy is critical to our security and freedom, and even though guerrila war and terrorism remain deadly threats the growing armed might of a huge and powerful dictatorship cannot be ignored.

I worry about the threat that China could pose.

CHINESE SUPER TANK

Brightnorm

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Chinese

is this the same Russian technology that was used in the Iraq tanks that we destroyed in Desert storm? On another topic Brightnorm, why does my meterman lm631 readout OL when I shine my Vector spotlight on it?

Keithr,

I'm not sure whether it's further evolved from the the Russian version. Re the meter, I'm no expert but I think what it's actually trying to say is:

OWWW!!

Brightnorm

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

Do the Chinese have airplanes sufficiently large to move these tanks to distant locations? If not, the only ones to really worry are in Asia. (I suppose, though, they might sell some and ship them by sea.)

Flashaholic*

crikey!

the problem with war against china isn't their technology...it's that there's so damn many of them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

hm..
    i've got a group of friends whose parents are still living in China -- Hong Kong..

i've never really been thru that position b4.. i wouldn't really be looking forward to it..

The gun size doesn't really make that much of a difference right now. The 120mm used by the US and Germany will penetrate any armore used on any tank in the world, and probably for the next two generations.
    A laser to blind enemy optics is not new at all, and has been tested by the US in both vehicle mounted versions, and handheld for like a decade.
    The M1A2 can track up to 6 seperate targets. The commander lases each target, then as soon as the gunner fires at one, the gun will swing around to the next.
    I seriously doubt that their armor is much, if any, better than the Chobam armor developed by the UK, and used on their tanks, as well as the US (and maybe Germany).
    Finally, how is Chin's economy? Do they have enough money to fund both research and production? This is what bankrupted the USSR. Spending $.75 of every dollor on defense like they did, will be a sure way to go broke.

Anyone reading or have read Clancys "The Bear and the Dragon"???

Strangely similar sounding circumstances!!

They seem to sell enough goods through Walmart to fund just about anything!

And yep. There sure are a BUNCH of 'em!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Unicorn said:
    The gun size doesn't really make that much of a difference right now.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Unicorn,

Thanks for that detailed overview, You really know the subject!

Brightnorm

Its interesting, conservatives were "highly alarmed" at the growth of Chinese influence and trade during the Clinton administration...but now that the Republicans have been in office about 3 years, you don't hear much about this subject and the trade inbalance with China has grown enourmously.

So...regardless of us funding their space and military research with our purchase of "almost everything" from China (look at the next object you buy to see where it comes from), are "business interests" so powerful that we will simply rush onward funneling a fire hose of money to the Chinese economy?

I heard this discussed on NPR and one economist was saying that this whole "trade with China issue" is way overblown. That the recession in the midwest would have been way worse except for the fact we've sold machinery to China to build more factories. That sort of logic seems a little short sited to me. Many of the manufacturing jobs that are being lost to China will *never* come back...and I don't think a few short term sales of machine tools will make up for this permanent economic loss.

I do think that trade is good for developing peaceful world partners...I just wonder at the amount we are doing with China.

These tanks sound like "Overlords" from the game "Command and Conquer Generals."

Geoff

Flashaholic

I love that game!

Flashaholic

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]...I'm a Chinese and I'm from Hong Kong, and the guns are not always the bigger the better.

beware:

China made flashlights are catching up the quality of US brands. I bought one for just $5 and it gives a beam that rivals a 'surefire'.
    (aluminum construction with plastic reflector powered by 2 x 123a.)

Flashaholic*

Hey, Im from Hong Kong too. It's a shame, the last time i visited, i wasnt a Flashaholic. Spent all my money on Sony gear instead. Next time i will visit Aplui Street and keep an eye out for lights.

Flashaholic*

good thing i'm planning to visit hong kong maybe during winter break or summer =)