4 D mag w/ 5w and hotlips?

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
I have a 4 D mag which I want to convert to a 5W luxeon, but I haven't attempted any mods yet. I realize the 4 D mag is probably not ideal for what I want, but it's what I have and I do like the size. From what I've picked up here in the past few weeks, I figure I'll need some sort of module to drive the 5 watter from 4 D cells. What I really want to know is can I buy a heatsink with the emitter and the module already attached? I found a thread the other day with the hotlips heatsink, complete with emitter, for sale but I haven't been able to find it again. I really want to keep my part of the mod as simple as possible, at least this time.. I'd appreciate any help cause I'm pretty new to this, thanks.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
here is the link for the hotlips heatsink: hotlips

a converter isn't really needed with a 4d, but it can be used.
if you dont' want to use a converter, you can use pvc piping and run it with 5c cells, which will provide 7.5v, driving the luxeon pretty much at spec.

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Roth. I would like to use the converter, I'd like to run it at least at spec, I just don't want to put the thing together myself. How would runtime compare between the 4d and 5c options?

LightScene

Enlightened
With 4 D's you won't have a very bright light, unless you use a converter.

5 C's (alkaline) should work quite well without a converter and should provide at least 10 hrs of runtime. This is a very nice combination. You can get alkaline C's for .70 cents at Walmart.

If you go with a converter and alkaline cells, 4 D cells will give you 4 X 18000 mAh = 72,000 mAH. 5 C's will give you 5 X 8350 = 41,750 mAH. 4 D cells are probably cheaper than 5 C cells.

If you want to use rechargeables, you will have to go with 5 cells and you might still need a converter because the voltage will be marginal at 6.

Latest posts