Jetbeam BC40 vs BC40 neutral

LightCrazy

Enlightened
It is looking like the Fenix TK35 might end up out of reach for now. I saw the goinggear vids of the BC40 and though it is a long light at 9", it looks like it has a nice combination of throw and spill. If I want a light that gives the most accurate color rendition, is the neutral version the one to get? Also, I have the Pelican 7060, and it is 8-1/2" long, has a good throw but the spill isn't the greatest. Anyone know how the 7060 and BC40 compare? Thanks!!!!

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I saw that vid, but Marshall calls it neutral in the vid, but his website only shows the regular BC40 and a "warm" version. Anyone gave any experience with both lights to know if the regular version is enough brighter to warrant giving up the better color rendition of the warm version? I already have the pelican 7060, but its color rendition is not the best.

jbrett14

Enlightened
From my understanding, the "warm" and "neutral" are the same light, just different terms.

I have the regular BC40, but unfortunately I do not have the warm version. However, I may have some words of help. If you have been using the Pelican 7060, EITHER one of the BC40 lights will be a HUGE improvement in light output to the point that it won't matter which one you choose.

As to whether it's worth sacrificing "color rendition" for a bit more output, it's purely subjective. My thought is that at this amount of light, if you prefer a more warm color, go for the "warm" version as it's still FAR brighter than what you have been using.

timbo114

Enlightened
I have a BC40w
I love the beam tint.
Mine isn't warm at all, it's actually daylight white, which I'd consider to be in the 4500k to 5000k range.
This light throws like a beast, but the spill coming forth also lights up my neighbors' yards at either side of my property.

Just grab yourself a "W" version - you won't be disappointed.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I would think that even the regular BC40 would have a whiter beam than the slightly blue tint from my 7060? My TK15 S2 has better color/ tint than the 7060. Thanks for the input. Karl

Sonomaholiday

Newly Enlightened
A flashlight this bright is usually used because its dark - when it's dark out what real difference will a warmer or cooler light actually make - colors do not really read that well in the dark - or are you using them for lighting in photography - even so couldn't one cut a gel ( plastic) used in theater and film to go over lights to change the color?

LightCrazy

Enlightened
For some people, seeing the true color, or at least as close as possible, could mean the difference between life and death. I was once at a tax training where we were told to shoot the yellow square, for example. Several people shot a whir one that looked yellow, and some passed the yellow up because it looked light green! I will mostly use the light out in the woods or trails, so it is not critical for this light. I just wondered if anyone had experience with both to know if the regular BC40 looks a little blue or yellow on a white wall, or if it is fairly white already.

jbrett14

Enlightened
My regular BC40 has a very nice color - far less "blue" than other LEDs that I have had. It's pretty much just a white light. It's perfect for the woods or trails. But then, I'm not concerned with seeing every little leaf in it's exact color.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Ok. I contacted a Jetbeam dealer, and they replied with this. The neutral BC40 would have a truer color rendition. I was to keep in mind that there would be a 14% difference in cool white. Does that mean the regular BC40 is brighter? If so, I'll just get it instead. How about some more input from some owners or the experts. If the regular beam is nice and brighter, I'll skip the truer color!

LightCrazy

Enlightened
So now that I have done more google searches, it looks like Jetbeam calls the regular BC40 "cool white"? Must be the warm version filters out 14% of the light to get the warmer tint? Maybe the regular version is better?

timbo114

Enlightened
Mind you, that these lights use 2x 18650 (long runtimes) and 4x cr123s (higher output? I see it.)
You take the W and run 4x cr123 .... you just may be perfectly satisfied :thumbsup:

Yes, I am biased toward the NW tint choices.
I have experienced the CW, NW, HiCri , and very warm incan style tints.
Each variant has its own niche and usefulness.
In my all around personal uses, NW wins for me - hands down.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
LightCrazy, your talking about something that is VERY subjective. Based on your own comments, you don't come across as the type who is seeking that perfect tint.

My guess is that you would prefer the slightly brighter option - the regular. I have it, and I would be very surprised if you were not 100% satisfied with the output, based on your intended use.