Accessing the modes on the Spark SD6-500CW

rocketsurgeon01

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. Just got the Spark SD6-500CW in the mail today. I don't have an 18650 yet, so I used two Streamlight CR123As to test the light. When I double click, I can get to turbo mode no problem. But when I hold the switch down to run through the other modes, I only get two modes. Is this because I'm using two CR123As?

LowFlux

Enlightened
I've never tried CR123s in my Spark SD or SL; but since their lights are current-controlled yeah it is possible that you are over-driving the light which is why you only have 2 modes.

LowFlux

Enlightened
I can't say for certain as I've never used mine on anything other then 18650...but any time you are dealing with electronics and over-driving you run the risk of :poof:

Selfbuilt tested CR123s in the SL6 on his review, he cautioned against running the SL6 on turbo mode (800 emitter lumens) as the batteries don't have the amperage to handle the load.

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
Afaik the only thing that would limit it to 2 modes is if your cr123s were about dead. Light supports them, web site says up to 7.6v also. I'm pretty sure the higher modes drop off when there isn't enough power in the batteries to drive them. I have the 460NW, though haven't really run it down all the way (usually change out the battery whenever I'm done using it and put that one on the charger)

LowFlux

Enlightened
Whoops I didn't read the spec sheet on the SD6, and stand corrected. 2 x CR123 is supported.

rocketsurgeon01

Newly Enlightened
I can't say for certain as I've never used mine on anything other then 18650...but any time you are dealing with electronics and over-driving you run the risk of :poof:

Selfbuilt tested CR123s in the SL6 on his review, he cautioned against running the SL6 on turbo mode (800 emitter lumens) as the batteries don't have the amperage to handle the load.

I contacted Spark and they said to try an 18650 and see what happens. I ordered a couple of AW 18650 so I'll recheck then. But if I used the CR123As to briefly test the light, would it have harmed the light?

LowFlux

Enlightened
Nope the SD6 specs specifically say 1x 18650 or 2 CR123. Maybe you have a dud; but hopefully it works well for you on 18650. I use mine quite often and love the long run time over AA headlamps.