does a 'reverse diffuser' throw attachment exist?

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Wondering if anyone has purpose built one of these for a standard light?:thinking:
I can imagine a sphere and cone that clips onto a tiny pocket rocket to get extreme throws outa a regular light.:naughty:
I've shined light through a 2+inch glass sphere before. pretty fun.:grin2:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights with aspherical lenses are becoming mainstream. I recently bought a pair of Sipik sk68 clones through Amazon for $5.20 each from Hong Kong with free shipping. Even if the window of the stock light AND the add on lens had anti-reflective coatings IMO it would be kind of cumbersome when compared to a light built from the get go with an aspherical lens.

When lights with aspherical lenses were expensive and only available on a custom basis it may have made more sense but today there are budget lights that already come equipped this way and they do not carry the penalty of the added air barriers and size costs that an add on lens imposes.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You can even take an ordinary loupe and hold it in front of a light's lens, and it will turn it into an aspherical thrower.

:D

Some of the lights, like Crelant, are threaded to take an aspherical head. They call theirs a collimator. You unscrew the reflector head and screw on the aspherical head.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the most "standard" size light that is almost universally used is the SureFire P60 size, sometimes called the D26.
Most "drop-in" light modules are this size, and are widely interchangeable in P60 "hosts".

CPF member "Ahorton" sells P60 size aspheric lenses on his ad in the Custom and Modified Flashlights-Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on CPF

naiter

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking into asphericals lately. trying to find an "adjustable" one at a "flashaholic" quality level. Gave up on it, got mag parts instead. then found the light that fits the bill perfectly. Coast H550. Saw it at costco just a couple days after buying mag parts.:hairpull:
link to that light with costco pics:
http://amazonorcostco.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/costco-686885-coast-1000-lumen-led-flashlight/

Thanks for the informative responses!!
----

Lights with aspherical lenses are becoming mainstream. I recently bought a pair of Sipik sk68 clones through Amazon for $5.20 each from Hong Kong with free shipping. Even if the window of the stock light AND the add on lens had anti-reflective coatings IMO it would be kind of cumbersome when compared to a light built from the get go with an aspherical lens.

When lights with aspherical lenses were expensive and only available on a custom basis it may have made more sense but today there are budget lights that already come equipped this way and they do not carry the penalty of the added air barriers and size costs that an add on lens imposes.
Good points about lens glare, size costs, and barriers. :thumbsup:
I ordered a Sipik too over a month ago from Dino. My first asperical light, although i have played with my friend's cheap China one, and see all the downfalls. still waiting, ridiculous shipping times:poke:
-----

You can even take an ordinary loupe and hold it in front of a light's lens, and it will turn it into an aspherical thrower.

:D

Some of the lights, like Crelant, are threaded to take an aspherical head. They call theirs a collimator. You unscrew the reflector head and screw on the aspherical head.
don't think i have a magnifying glass i can dig up. ill ask wifey...:thinking:
I knew Crelent had a collimator head, but didn't realize the interchangeability. this is exactly the scenario I'm asking for. genius:twothumbs
How adjustable is the spot on the Crelents? I assumed it was fixed for extreme distance only. and their regular reflectors are for throw, so its changing their lights going from great throw to extreme throw with no spill. Nice but not quite the "transforming attachment" i'm dreaming of.:tinfoil:
--------

Probably the most "standard" size light that is almost universally used is the SureFire P60 size, sometimes called the D26.
Most "drop-in" light modules are this size, and are widely interchangeable in P60 "hosts".

CPF member "Ahorton" sells P60 size aspheric lenses on his ad in the Custom and Modified Flashlights-Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on CPF
No P60 lights in my collection. nice heads up on Ahorton though. Cheaper alternative to Saabluster's dreamy Deft EDC.:cool:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
No P60 lights in my collection. nice heads up on Ahorton though. Cheaper alternative to Saabluster's dreamy Deft EDC.:cool:

Saabluster used the asphericals from Ahorton in his Deft EDC.

tam17

Enlightened
I've always wondered if a stick-on Fresnel lens existed - something like a self-adhesive patch (d-c-fix film or similar). Never seen such a thing, though.

Cheers

naiter

Newly Enlightened
I've always wondered if a stick-on Fresnel lens existed - something like a self-adhesive patch (d-c-fix film or similar). Never seen such a thing, though.
Fresnel lens? WTH?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

OMG learning a ton from this thread!! Thx tam17

Edit:
Leaning about Fresnel lens:
http://www.andrewdavidson.com/articles/led/
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...cal-lense-be-substituted-with-a-Fresnel-lense
Edit2:
I am dumbfounded as to why a fresnel attachment doesn't exist. i know it looses overall output but that's besides the point when your trying to redirect light via an attachment vs purpose built... IMO

Last edited:

H-Man

Enlightened
Fresnel lens? WTH?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

OMG learning a ton from this thread!! Thx tam17

Edit:
Leaning about Fresnel lens:
http://www.andrewdavidson.com/articles/led/
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...cal-lense-be-substituted-with-a-Fresnel-lense
Edit2:
I am dumbfounded as to why a fresnel attachment doesn't exist. i know it looses overall output but that's besides the point when your trying to redirect light via an attachment vs purpose built... IMO
I used a LC-XML dropin, solarforce L2, magnifier sheet ,and a cardboard box to make a search light. Took it out to a field and lit up stuff a quarter mile away well enough to make out details, a mile away we could make out the treetops.

tam17

Enlightened
I used a LC-XML dropin, solarforce L2, magnifier sheet ,and a cardboard box to make a search light. Took it out to a field and lit up stuff a quarter mile away well enough to make out details, a mile away we could make out the treetops.

Magnifier sheet = nice idea! Which distance between flashlight and magnifier sheet provides the best throw? How does the hotspot look like (round or square?) I have both L2 and LC-XML dropin.

Cheers

H-Man

Enlightened
It was a quick 'what else can I do with it' moment. I had bought it in attempt to make a paper burner to cut stencils with greater perciscion than what can be done with a knife, but it didn't work well. With a 4x magnification factor, it is around 20 cm. The hotspot is a picture of the reflector and die (not pretty at all). I'm not sure how bright it is (I know that I'm losing lumens) but it threw well because it was all throw, there was no flood except for what was produced by scattering in the air.