Inova t4 ???

Ou224

Newly Enlightened
I have an older single mode Inova T4 rechargeable light. I see the new ones have multiple output modes. Is there a way to update my light? Or am I better off selling it and buying the new one? I like the light but having multiple output options would be nice. I hope I am listing this in the right spot.

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
My,My......

I bought around ten of these lights still use them.

I have the original one which is what you have, bought it around 2006 ?
it's just about useless as far as lumens go. I've replaced these T-4's over the years as newer
better Inovas came along.

If you like the light, buy the latest version you won't believe it's a T4 !:thumbsup:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same as Kapriel!
I had one of the origional T4 lights (in fact I did a write up on it back in 2005). Eventually I killed it after years of hard use (see post). I went a long time and then broke down and bought a new model T4 and what an upgrade that was!

Go ahead and just buy a newest model T4. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought... I regularly use 3 of 2008-2011 lights everyday as work lights, I like the fact
I never have to change batteries. I just use the many cradles i now have and either plug in 110v or 12Vdc Very few lights offer this but are now starting to.
I gave away for Christmas maybe 8 or so lights to friends and family.It makes for a perfect gift as most people won't pay for a light like this and second, alot of people don't want to play with batteries and chargers and cords...etc
For the record, I have lights from Four Sevens,Fenix, and looking at other brands too.

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
I forgot !
I don't know what you could sell your old T4 for,mine works fine but never use it.

The newer T4's are like night and day and because they are so much brighter than your original
you really need to turn down the lumens it's just too bright and an added plus is they have better battery life too.

Your way overdue for an upgrade ! ;)

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
Yes it does. I just bought a Maelstrom X10 I love the 26650 battery.
Just lost my Fenix HP-11 headlamp it's burried somewhere in my attic when I blew in more insulation
a month ago... I also need to get a thrower something either using 3 XML's or an SST-90
I'd like it to be fully variable no steps. I'd like to get away from 18650 batteries too.
There's so many great flashlights out there it's really hard to choose.
Everyone has their favorites or must haves.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an older (TIROS version) Inova T4 which developed charging problems. There were a few old discussion threads on CPF about charging problems.

Inova (pre-NiteIze buyout) replaced my T4 under warranty with a newer, 3 mode (High, Low, Strobe) T4-MP model. It has a completely different battery. The new battery has both positive and negative contacts at the same end as each other so lubrication from the tailcap threads cannot migrate into the light and contaminate the battery contact.

My replacement T4-MP has been a faithful performer -- no failures or charging problems. It is a lot brighter and floodier than the old TIROS model.

However, my replacement T4-MP is not the current version, which is designated the T4R and rated to be even brighter. The T4R has one additional brightness mode, as well.

Ou224

Newly Enlightened
I had an older (TIROS version) Inova T4 which developed charging problems. There were a few old discussion threads on CPF about charging problems.

Inova (pre-NiteIze buyout) replaced my T4 under warranty with a newer, 3 mode (High, Low, Strobe) T4-MP model. It has a completely different battery. The new battery has both positive and negative contacts at the same end as each other so lubrication from the tailcap threads cannot migrate into the light and contaminate the battery contact.

My replacement T4-MP has been a faithful performer -- no failures or charging problems. It is a lot brighter and floodier than the old TIROS model.

However, my replacement T4-MP is not the current version, which is designated the T4R and rated to be even brighter. The T4R has one additional brightness mode, as well.

charging problems like the charger light flashes blue instead of solid when you put the light on the charger? I say this because my light does this on ac charge. I have 2 cradles and don't have the issues on dc charge. Maybe I have a warranty issue.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
charging problems like the charger light flashes blue instead of solid when you put the light on the charger? I say this because my light does this on ac charge. I have 2 cradles and don't have the issues on dc charge. Maybe I have a warranty issue.

Here is what I wrote to Inova when returning my TIROS T4:

"... A few months after the TIROS T4 purchase, I could not complete the charge cycle without a problem. "

"Several minutes after starting a charge, the blue charging LED would flash. Then, I must disassemble the light, clean the end of the battery tube, end cap, battery, and charger contacts. I then place the flashlight back in the charger. Sometimes the charge will complete, as signified by the green LED. More often, the blue LED will flash again, requiring me to repeat the cleaning process. ..."

Steven8976

Newly Enlightened
Hi!!
THIS IS a quick user review of a Inova X03DM-HT Dual output flashlight.
First time joining a forum. First time posting. For years, whenever I needed an answer, I would go to the archives ,(I love archives), because most of the time, someone asked the questions that I had.
Whom Am I? 54 male. What I do to make a living? Part time electronics technician. Full time security guard at a college. Last couple years have worked graveyard. Bought Streamlight Stylus Pro for personnel use, but still wanted a good flashlight for work, everyday carry.
After research, the contenders were (in no particular order):
Coast HP7 High Performance Focusing 251 Lumen LED Flashlight by Coast $39.85
Klarus XT11 Tactical Light 2 x CR123A XM-L U2 LED XT11 by KLARUS $77.99.
EagleTac T20C2 Tactical 300 Lumens MKII XP-G R5 LED Flashlight by EagleTac $68.00
Fenix TK11 R5 285-Lumen Cree XP-G R5 LED Flashlight by Fenix $69.95
And the Inova X03
I ordered the light from Amazon for $41.45. The light I ordered was titanium in color. I also ordered Nitize Clip Pock-Its XL Utility Holster, Black" $12.90. I was able to track the package and they arrived before Amazon stated. I have brought a lot items from Amazon and have NEVER been disappointed!
Upon arrival, I began the epic battle of the blister pack. Once opened I examined it. I loved that the head and and body were one piece. I also liked that the optics are permanently attached. I know, I know, the freeze method. Then insertion of the two included CR123 lithium-ion batteries. OMG! Please let me repeat! OMG!!! I LOVE this tail-cap! First, we are talking about a threaded piece (tail-cap) screwing on to another threaded piece (flashlight battery tube). There was NO play between the two pieces. There was no noise when turning the tail-cap. The tailcap was some how being held in place by something that required some torque (not very much) to turn. It was an absolute delight to turn it. Best comparison would be the tuning knobs of high end steros of the 60's and 70's (hey! I said I was 54). Every time I turn the tail-cap, it makes me smile. Note: The flashlight came with the threads greased! I was reading a lot feedback on older Inova's that it was too bad that the switch was not a "tactical forward clicky". My response is buy a tactical flashlight. Inova makes six (called the T-Series. ). When inserting the batteries, the POSITIVE side faces the tailcap. I haver never heard or seen any flashlights, anywhere, that does this. Whenever I insert batteries into anything, I have always looked for a plus or minus sign and/or a picture of a battery showing correct orientation. In this rare case, I knew ahead of time but still looked anyway. Inside of the tail-cap was a "+" sign. Inova states this eliminates the spring found in most tail-caps which can than get lost or broken. The operation of the light is simple and straight. You have a high output, 200 lumens and a low output of 18 lumens. Inova states that they measure output using ANSI/FL1 standards. Their is no memory, strobe, SOS, Beacon or even mid output. Nope. High and low. 200 or 18 lumens. For the following info. "CW" means Clock Wise and "CCW" means Counter Clock Wise. If the flashlight is on, rotate the tail-cap CCW until it is off. Too operate: with flashlight off, turn tail-cap CW until it is on. If the flashlight has been off more than three seconds, it will ALWAYS come on in high mode (200 lumens). Their is no memory (turns on at last setting). Turn flashlight CCW until off AND then CW within three seconds until back on. This is low mode (18 lumens). Now turn tail-cap CCW to off. This is "intermittent" mode. To turn on, press on the black rubber on the bottom of the tail-cap. Again, if off for more than three seconds it will turn on in high mode and remain on until you release pressure on the tail-cap. Want momentary low? In momentary high, release pressure BUT press again before three seconds. And if you turn the tail-cap a little more. CCW, the flashlight will be in lock-out mode (will not turn on accidentally. Reading this, it seems complicated, but it really is not. This is a case where you need to see and do it your self.
FINALLY:) The beam, output, energy radiating from the reflector. The reason one buys a flashlight. I'm greedy in this department. I want a perfect spot with a lot reach, while putting out a nice flood. Inova delivers this in spades. THIS BEAM IS PERFECT! A beautiful very bright spot, with a ton of flood. I walked into a small wooded area and on high, I could clearly see several hundred feet ahead. The flood lit up a good 12-18 foot wide area and out about 50 plus feet. Inova claims a whopping 636 feet (194M) on high and 132 feet on low. On low, you don't get the reach but their is plenty of light for hiking, out in your neighborhood, or inside. The first time I turned on high inside, the light bounced off the wall hurting my eyes a little. Works well in candle mode (set inside a cup) Also a little too bright for the car or anything up close. Much to my surprise, the low setting works for everything close out to about 30feet. I didn't get a 300+ lumen because of price but now realize that would have too bright for me to really use.
In summary: Superb quality. Inova claims tolerances to be +/-0.0005" and it shows. Could not find any flaws in machining or assy. Light is basic in terms of outputs but has quality features of more expensive lights: mineral glass with A/R coating on both sides; stainless steel bezel (machined bevel to perfection) for protection of optics; machine, finley textured reflector; flashlight machined from solid stock of AEROSPACE aluminum; regulation circuit for near full brightness of light for most of battery life; hard andonized body AND threads; white led; battery piston (?) prevents polarity reversal. And, of course a perfect spot/flood beam.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!!
THIS IS a quick user review of a Inova X03DM-HT Dual output flashlight.
First time joining a forum. First time posting. ....

Welcome aboard, Steven8976! :welcome:

Heck of a good first post. Hope a moderator will consider moving your review to its own dedicated discussion thread, where it will get a lot more attention. Many of us enjoyed the benefits of Inova's low cost/higher performance, sweetened by easy availability when they were sold in local Target stores back before the Great Recession.

Enjoy your stay at CPF and your new light.

Jason Liddell

Newly Enlightened
I forgot !
I don't know what you could sell your old T4 for,mine works fine but never use it.

The newer T4's are like night and day and because they are so much brighter than your original
you really need to turn down the lumens it's just too bright and an added plus is they have better battery life too.

Your way overdue for an upgrade ! ;)

I've got the old T4 Not sure which one though. Was thinking of upgrading or modifying (maybe both) You mention that upgrading to the new one you won't regret and is too bright. Do you know if this is the 570 lumens model ? Still seems a long way short of the 1000lumens that is out there. However as far as the torch itself goes, I like the design, switch placement and basically everything about this torch checks all boxes, except that there are brighter LED lights out there.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
T4R is not designed to be modified as far as I know. Youd be better off selling it and upgrading to another light. If you want a rechargeable light that utilizes a charging cradle then I highly suggest the Fenix RC series. Ive got an older T4R and it puts out the nastiest narrow purple beam Ive ever seen which is unfortunate because the light is built like a tank and has great ergos. I know Inova has upgraded the T4R with much more output. Id still avoid it though in my opinion. Fenix RC series are far better lights with higher capacity proprietary cells than the T4R. RC series lights have multiple modes that are easily accessible plus stobe. Beam quality out of the RC series is just flat out superior.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate this is an old thread.

But I used to own an old T4 with a battery extension back in 2011/12 and like a fool sold it on eBay.

I missed that torch and been kicking myself ever since but have now acquired one of thr latest 2017 850 lumen versions.

Same appearance, same sort of construction...but the beam quality is now out of this world. The power, spread and quality of the beam has risen exponentially. No purple tint, the beam pattern has a bit more spread, its more even and the colour is a perfect dazzling white.

I think its worth selling your old T4, the latest version is night-and-day in compariason. But one real negative is that Nite Ize have in a fit of madness discontinued the reserve battery holder. So unless you already own one of these you'll have a terrible struggle getting one. I had to get mine from a US supplier, it was much more expensive than it once was and on top of that I also had to pay a nice Customs fee. Even so, it was still worth hunting down