E2e/E1e w/KL1 or L1?

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
Which do you prefer out of these three? Best brightness, nice beam, ease of carry, best utility, etc. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for your time!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the KL1 for its flexibility. As you have already pointed out, the KL1 can be used on the E1e or E2e body, depending on how compact you want to get. The KL1 will also run on a 3X123 body if you have one of those for even more runtime.

I cannot comment on brightness or color because Surefire uses the Low Dome luxeons and the color ranges from a more than acceptable shade of white to way too purple. As far as brightness goes, the claims made by Surefire are pretty much representative of what you get. The KL1 is also very mod friendly. You could swap the LED for a nice and bright high dome, which would drastically improve the quality of the beam. You could also overdrive it to 700mA or even 1A to turn it into an eye scorcher.

With the L1, you just don't get nearly as much flexibility.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm, ditto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Emphasis on flexibility. Want incandescent? E2e. Want long run time and regulated output at a reasonable runtime, slap on KL1. Want a bit more light and throw out of the KL1? Mod it. You almost want a few KL1's around. One running stock bias but with a high flux LED like an R2. Another one running at double the stock bias with a similar high flux LED. And maybe a variant of the latter with a Fraen for longer throw. Heck, my incandescent is now collecting dust since I overdrove my first KL1 at 700mA. It's strictly solid state lighting for me. When I want overwhelming quantities of light or throw, I'll reach for a C3 with a HOLA. Whaaaaaaat? You can't have too many lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

jhereg

Enlightened
I don't have the Kl1 or L1 yet, but I do have an E2e & and an E1. I carry both, but find myself using the E1 almost all the time. The E2e is there for when I need a brighter light, but I find the light output on th E1 perfect for almost everything I do, EXCEPT reading maps at night while driving. It is too bright.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the E1, I'm with nascar. Arc LSH-P. Smaller than an E1 and easier to EDC. Also, it has the best compromise between runtime and brightness IMHO.

bhds

Enlightened
Not to hijack the thread, but I find that the e1 incandescent is my "gold standard" for what I want in a light. It is almost perfect as far as throw/output vs size. If I can get the equivalent output in a smaller size with a longer runtime I would be willing to spend the money on the arc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The only comparisons that I have found though have all been fairly subjective- except for the lumens rating given by the manufacturers. Someone convince me that I need the arc or Kl1 head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bhds

jhereg

Enlightened
bhds,
I agree with you on the E1. I use mine during the day when I am working on computers & need to light up the inside, but have found it works great for lighting up street signs at night when I am in an unknown neighborhood. My E2E is too bright, it lights up the windshield instead of the sign. I get more attached to the E1 every day.

On the other hand, I am intrigued by the Arc flashlights so I decided to try on of the modded ones for $49 listed on Ebay. (200/400ma switchable, High dome P3)

jhereg

Enlightened
I ordered it Sat. Supposed to ship today. I'll know more in a week or so. It appears someone was selling a version of that light on here about 2 mo ago. Here is the link to one of the lights on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=3637326371

Here is what appears to be the same light when it was offered here. (Except the one on ebay isn't as pretty.)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=337580&Forum=All_Forums&Words=arc%20200%20400%20switch&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=337580&Search=true#Post337580

I will post what I think when I get mine.
Andy

Sharp

Enlightened
I use my E1e with a KL1 and an E2e with LOLA. Works great for me...
I use the E1e w/KL1 almost for everything, while I use the LOLA when I need some throw and the old, warm feeling of incandescent flashlights.
my 2c

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Any special reason you're not considering the SureFire L4 or ARC LSH-P?

[/ QUOTE ]

High run costs and not enough runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

I just found a combo pack at TAD that has a 1x123a holder, a 3x123/2xAA holder, and a KL1 head for cheaper than an E series with KL1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. So lemme get this straight, I can get a 1 1/2 hour runtime with the 1 123a holder and about the same runtime with the 2 AA holder, right? And if I use 3 123a I can get a ~7 hour runtime? The KL1 is very versatile indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Especially with that combo pack. Here's what it looks like:
kl1_set.jpg

Image borrowed from TADGear.

Info can be found here: 3x123a/2xAA and 1x123a .

Anyone know anything about the company that makes 'em? Will they be regular production items? Thanks for the replies!

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DiamondCut2_0 said:
Info can be found here: 3x123a/2xAA and 1x123a .

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. An alternative to TW3, and better pricing too. And they have beaten the TW1 to the market. Not sure about the quality though. Would be nice if anyone can post a review.

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
This may just be the light I want for Christmas. I'll post a review if anyone doesn't beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone know if it will fit into an On/Scene Tactical sheath for the E2e/E1e?

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Allen!

That's the second time you've helped me with a question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But who's keeping count? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DumboRAT

Enlightened
DiamondCut2_0,

LOL, Philip, I hope that it brings me good Karma. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, just got this set from TAD today -- the On/Scene Tactical E1e Kydex sheath I've had for a day longer from Tactical Warehouse (for my TW4).

Unfortunately, while the sheath fits the TW4 (E1e) body like a glove, it allows the Vitalgear bodies to slip easily and without friction in/out of the sheath tube.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I went for the E1e/KL1 combo of course. So now I could get an L4 to generate many more fantastic combos with it. The dim low beam of the L1 is useless to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif