It's good to be employed again

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
In light of the events of yesterday, I thought I'd post something on a positive note. I finally found a job after 15 months of unemployment. Yay! Boy it's been rough, but I finally did it. I took this past year in stride and used it as a chance to improve myself. I went to the library daily to study chemistry, I cleaned my house up, and now I'm talking to the girl of my dreams. I'm hoping we'll go out soon, and yes, she's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to start working and have a paycheck again.

I wanted to post this to let unemployed CPFers know there's still hope! :) If you were or are on a similar boat I thought it would be productive to discuss.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! I assume you haven't been buying any lights... so what will be your 'first' new light to celebrate the new job?:thumbsup:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
and give the flashlight to the dream girl!

congrats dude, i know the feeling of beeing unenployed for long time.. few months go with stride, after that it gets harder and more boring every day.. you just run out of interesting things to do. happy to hear you were able to find someting useful to do and get something going foward in the dating department too.

if i may ask, did you get a job in your own area of expertise or interests, or just some work? (as i ended up eventually just taking any job i could just not to go cabin crazy staying at home penniless.. hah)

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me be the first to say, pics of the girl! !
Oh, and congrats on the job, ditto on the questions, your field? What's your first new light going to be?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe Thanks guys. Me and the lady are still in the talking stage. Not quite at dating level yet, but we'll get there. Yes, pics will be posted... if all goes well. Really crossing my fingers on this one. Wish me luck. :)

I was able to find work in my expertise as a tutor. It's part time, but at this point I don't care. I'll be working again and that's all that matters. :)

A light to celebrate! I want a Tri-V2 but it's way out of my price range. I don't really know what I want. I do know it'll be a Ti light, that's for sure.

Wished I could say the same. The wait continues.
:(

Don't give up. It's the best advice I can give. I think this job came at the right time. I got to smooth out the rough edges in my life and gained a new perspective. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. It'll happen, just keep trying. :)

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Congrats!

BTW - I find the "light thing" is best left for after you've become more familiar with each other....say AFTER you can fart.

:D

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to talk about revealing your hobby after farting with your girlfriend, start your own thread. I appreciate the congrats but keep it on topic.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you want to talk about revealing your hobby after farting with your girlfriend, start your own thread. I appreciate the congrats but keep it on topic.

Sorry...it was just a joke. :duck:

Seriously - Congrats!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry...it was just a joke. :duck: Seriously - Congrats!

Yes, but I don't think it belongs in this thread. I really do appreciate the congrats though. Thank You! :)

Hi dudemar Very happy to hear of your good fortune, I hope it continues next year. Happy Holidays too.

Thank You sassaquin! :) I have a feeling nothing but good things will happen from here on out.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
In light of the events of yesterday, I thought I'd post something on a positive note. I finally found a job after 15 months of unemployment. Yay! Boy it's been rough, but I finally did it. I took this past year in stride and used it as a chance to improve myself. I went to the library daily to study chemistry, I cleaned my house up, and now I'm talking to the girl of my dreams. I'm hoping we'll go out soon, and yes, she's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to start working and have a paycheck again.

I wanted to post this to let unemployed CPFers know there's still hope! :) If you were or are on a similar boat I thought it would be productive to discuss.

Well, it sounds like many things in your life are on the upswing. Just out of curiosity, are you taking a chemistry course or just reading up on it? Does your new job involve chemistry? I'm curious because I too have been looking into learning more about chemistry, and I even downloaded an APP on my new iPhone 4S called "Khan Academy Chemistry 1". Then I went and downloaded iTunes U, and from there I downloaded more chemistry stuff. If you were to describe chemistry knowledge and course level from 1-10, with 1 being a complete beginner and 10 being Einstein, then I am trying to learn courses starting from about level 3. But most of what I have found is either 1 or 8, with not too much in between, and so I've had to start at 1 and go from there.

I havent been technically unemployed for quite a while, but I wouldnt call it fully employed and the economy has definitely knocked my business down a few notches. Combine that with the fact that my customers are mostly elderly and they are unfortunately dying off. I lost one customer to lung cancer about 2.5 months ago at 88 years old, and he never smoked.

I have been able to pay my bills and all, but I am not saving anything at this point, so you call it living week to week. Thats why I cut back on hobby purchases like lights, with the exception of the SC52 I paid for almost 2 months ago.

But I remember what it was like to be completely unemployed, around Christmas time with bills to pay and presents to buy. I was in that situation during the recession of '91, and the help wanted ads in the city paper were literally only 1.3 columns long on 1 page, and most of those jobs were plumbers and bank managers and etc. So I was on my way home from a fruitless job search on about December 21st, when just for the heck of it I decided to stop at a local temporary service just because I spotted the sign and pulled in. I get in there, fill out an application, and the lady tells me they have very few openings, but then she looks over my app and sees that I had learned quite a few skills at my last job, one of which was phone collections that we did 1 night a week on thursdays from 5-7pm at my last job, so she tells me theres an opening at this bank, and the next day I get up, put on a suit(which I had never had to wear to work before) and I go to the interview. When I get back home, the phone was ringing as I opened my apartment door, and it was the temporary service lady telling me they had hired me. It turned into a 1 year long, full time position that paid the bills.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats dudemar!

Out of curiosity may I ask what kind of chemistry you were studying? :)

Thanks Imon! I pulled a HS chemist book from the library shelf and started studying. I really like the sections on organic chemistry and biochem, specifically the reactions involved. Just started on those but it's very interesting. Drawing the reactions are so much fun!

Well, it sounds like many things in your life are on the upswing. Just out of curiosity, are you taking a chemistry course or just reading up on it? Does your new job involve chemistry? I'm curious because I too have been looking into learning more about chemistry, and I even downloaded an APP on my new iPhone 4S called "Khan Academy Chemistry 1". Then I went and downloaded iTunes U, and from there I downloaded more chemistry stuff. If you were to describe chemistry knowledge and course level from 1-10, with 1 being a complete beginner and 10 being Einstein, then I am trying to learn courses starting from about level 3. But most of what I have found is either 1 or 8, with not too much in between, and so I've had to start at 1 and go from there.

I havent been technically unemployed for quite a while, but I wouldnt call it fully employed and the economy has definitely knocked my business down a few notches. Combine that with the fact that my customers are mostly elderly and they are unfortunately dying off. I lost one customer to lung cancer about 2.5 months ago at 88 years old, and he never smoked.

I have been able to pay my bills and all, but I am not saving anything at this point, so you call it living week to week. Thats why I cut back on hobby purchases like lights, with the exception of the SC52 I paid for almost 2 months ago.

But I remember what it was like to be completely unemployed, around Christmas time with bills to pay and presents to buy. I was in that situation during the recession of '91, and the help wanted ads in the city paper were literally only 1.3 columns long on 1 page, and most of those jobs were plumbers and bank managers and etc. So I was on my way home from a fruitless job search on about December 21st, when just for the heck of it I decided to stop at a local temporary service just because I spotted the sign and pulled in. I get in there, fill out an application, and the lady tells me they have very few openings, but then she looks over my app and sees that I had learned quite a few skills at my last job, one of which was phone collections that we did 1 night a week on thursdays from 5-7pm at my last job, so she tells me theres an opening at this bank, and the next day I get up, put on a suit(which I had never had to wear to work before) and I go to the interview. When I get back home, the phone was ringing as I opened my apartment door, and it was the temporary service lady telling me they had hired me. It turned into a 1 year long, full time position that paid the bills.

I really like your story! Opportunity came when you knocked, and in that sense my situation is similar to yours. I didn't expect much and it felt good to interview. Made me feel like I accomplished something, even if I didn't get hired.

Right now I'm studying chemistry on my own. I'll likely tutor chem at some point, but not in the immediate future. This is a good thing because it gives me more time to study. This gave my resume a good boost, and depend on the career you're looking into it might help you too! :)

The one benefit I found about studying at the library is it's free! The best part is I've met some really nice people there, including my pretty girl. :)

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Thanks Imon! I pulled a HS chemist book from the library shelf and started studying. I really like the sections on organic chemistry and biochem, specifically the reactions involved. Just started on those but it's very interesting. Drawing the reactions are so much fun!

I rarely see someone use the word "fun" to describe drawing reactions but we all have different interests. :p
I remember my O-chem and biochem classes :sick2:
There's a lot of foundational knowledge to be learned initially but once you get over that hump things get easier and start to make sense.