Xtar WK50 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Are you looking for the perfect gift light that will literally open the eyes of someone to the world of flashlights? If yes, great! If not, well, maybe you can expect to find one of these in your mailboxes in you're the giftee:
XuA13.jpg

T7ge0.jpg

342qn.jpg

This my friends, is a WK50 from Xtar. It is a very small, simple and bright flashlight you can gift to anyone (maybe even yourself). There are 3 colors in total, gun-black, blue (the one ill be reviewing) and pink.
Here are the specs from Xtar:
XTAR 150Lumen - 4 mode Mini Flashlight WK50

ANSI Illumination levels: Extremely High Mid Moonlight
Luminance: 150Lm 80Lm 30Lm 3Lm
Duration: 1.2h 2h 6h 80h
Max Range : 75m
Max Intensity: 1420cd
Impact Resistance: 1.5m
Water Resistance: IPX8 ( underwater 0.5m)
Bulb: CREE XP-G R5 LED
Working Voltage: 0.9~1.8V
Battery: 1x AA(Alkaline, Ni-MH)
Switch: Tailcap switch
Size: Ø 20.5mm
Head diax Ø 17.5mmBody diax 92.5mmlength

Net Weight : 31g
Excluded battery
Hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Additional Functions: Memory function

Package contents: flashlight, lanyard, extra o-ring, manual, warranty card.

Here is what you'll get:
2N2Kz.jpg

And here are some close-ups of the flashlight itself:
ZFW1S.jpg

BfgDp.jpg

R40fw.jpg

xfloX.jpg

RfzYw.jpg

Lq7Xm.jpg

SOM1S.jpg

bVOct.jpg

WQgk7.jpg

G9E2q.jpg

6ompe.jpg

First Impressions:
When I took out the light, my first thought was that it was small. Actually, it is the smallest flashlight I have. It does get a bit hard to hold it in your hand, and while it does not have any anti-roll system in the body, the lanyard proved to be a very good anti-roll mechanism and also facilitated holding the flashlight a lot, so I recommend putting on the lanyard once you get it.
It is also extremely light, all you have to do is hold a AA battery in your hand and you more or less get an idea of the weight.
However, there is one small issue some may have, and it's that the stock tailcap is set to a very low sensitivity. Basically what that means is that it takes more finger-muscle power to turn the light on and off, surprisingly. It has the toughest tailcap out of all my lights, but luckily, we're all not out of luck.
koSGl.jpg

RW62B.jpg

FZpAq.jpg

Ja5aF.jpg

I devised a way to increase the sensitivity of the tailcap to set it to your own preferred sensitivity. It's rather simple, but hey, it works wonders (human ingenuity at its finest).
Although there is practically little to no risk of destroying you light, I should mention as a disclaimer that you should do this at your own risk. DO NOT TWIST THE SPRING.
So, you have your tailcap:
ffJZ6.jpg

Inside, you will find these two grooves on either end of the black plastic tailclicky:
85xrp.jpg

Take some tweezers, or whatever fits in the groove(s) and rotate counterclockwise:
tcXGK.jpg

Now, keep rotating until the clicky unit falls out:
SnTBO.jpg

HCxac.jpg

tzrms.jpg

So here's my magic recipe, rip a small piece of paper and roll it up. Be careful not to make it too big, or else you'll have to go back and make it smaller. I took mine from the manual LOL:
vw6zy.jpg

9DgGU.jpg

So now, put the piece of rolled up paper inside the tailboot, like demonstrated below:
SvdlA.jpg

g0UpS.jpg

Insert your clicky, and make sure to have the spring side faced up. DO NOT TOUCH THE SPRING OR TWIST IT IN ANY WAY – I'll explain later:
C20CK.jpg

And you should now have a sensitivity that you want, from the stock hardcore finger workout sensitivity, or the feather weight sensitivity.
Beamshots
I have here for you guys a few comparison beamshots between the Fenix LD12 and the WK50:
Xtar WK50 on the left and the Fenix LD12 on the right
Setup:
Hfg36.jpg

Turbo:
amos6.jpg

Reduced Exposure:
2CwRs.jpg

High:
OpBQA.jpg

Reduced Exposure:
VQ6KM.jpg

Low:
Ukj07.jpg

Moonlight mode was too low, its perfect for reading at night or maps.
Remember when I said not to touch or twist the spring in the clicky? Well, unfortunately, I twisted the spring too much when I was taking the pictures for the tutorial on changing the sensitivity and it just snapped off. I spent several hours trying to fix it back, but to no avail. I managed to convert it into a twisty, but it is inconsistent and only works a few times now. Taking the beamshots was a miracle. I decided to make the best of it and take pictures of what is in the tailcap:
Jy8SH.jpg

IfPWa.jpg

yzJB5.jpg

ZOfKW.jpg

I'm not sure if my warranty still applies.:laughing:
So there you have it, a nice little gift light that won't break the bank and is a reasonably good performer. If you're in the US, be sure to check out Mark at MD-lightsource.com, he always responds to any questions or concerns you may have. The light was generously provided by Mark for review.:twothumbs
If you have any questions or comments, feel absolutely free to post or PM me, I'll always be willing to help.
Regards,
Alain

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks Tobrien,

Xtar has informed me that they have inserted spacers in the tailcap, so the mod might not be necessary anymore:)

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
BTW,

I forgot to mention that the flashlight is waterproof, I'll see if I can take upload some pictures soon:)

paulsl

Enlightened
I just got 2 for gifts and I'm returning them as they are very difficult to turn on and off. The dealer did not mention anything different when I called and he said to return them. Too bad but. Otherwise a nice light. I wish he would have known about the spacers. Oh well...

Thanks Tobrien,

Xtar has informed me that they have inserted spacers in the tailcap, so the mod might not be necessary anymore:)

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
I just got 2 for gifts and I'm returning them as they are very difficult to turn on and off. The dealer did not mention anything different when I called and he said to return them. Too bad but. Otherwise a nice light. I wish he would have known about the spacers. Oh well...

I'm sorry to hear that,

Xtar said that various customers have brought up this issue and current shipping models should have the spacers,

Cheers

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you could just put a McClicky switch right in there. Nice review with lots of good photos.