CPF was hijacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us couldn't get to CPF lately because www.candlepowerforums.com wasn't resolved correctly.

It seems to me we should have been told that the host couldn't be found. Unfortunately we did get to a web site but it wasn't CPF. What the heck is that all about? Aren't there any internet rules against one site impersonating another site?

And while I'm on the subject, doesn't it seem that the CPF site has more of these problems than most sites? It's the only site I have permanently in my hosts file, although it was commented out. A good thing it was there too.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what that other web site is all about:
I assume you saw the "Domain Discover" web page.
The site with the name "DomainDiscover" is the internet name registry for the name "candlepowerforums.com". At DomainDiscover there's a forwarding server that redirects to a host at DigitalPrinceton.com. Something's going wrong and per Sasha's request to all of us that we not bash any source I'm going to put a sock in my mouth, duct tape it in and try my best not to speculate on the source of the problem. Mph! Muph! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Please go to THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD for further information and updates. We are trying to keep this all in one place right now.

CPF was not hijacked. Read those threads and you'll find out what really happened. And no, this doesn't happen more with CPF than any other site. This is the first time it has happened to us. Back in April there was an issue because we had to upgrade our server. And if you permanently have CPF in your host file, than you have bigger problems and they aren't CPF's. You should probably check your computer once this propagation goes through and see what the issues are on your machine because CPF is just fine under normal circumstances.

I'm going to close this thread now. Please refer to the two threads I've linked to above.

Status
Not open for further replies.