Fenix TK35 820 threads problem

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone

I just received my Fenix TK35 820 version from clearance for a good price of £50 but when i opened it up to insert the batteries i noticed the threads were sounding gritty.

Closer inspection i noticed that the anodising has come off on parts of the thread.

I dont think the the torch has been used before.

After cleaning the threads up and relubing there was no signs off grit that cleaned off, only small bits of black anodising.

Since i got it for such a good price do you guys think i should return it or keep it?

I have posted some pic's of the problem -

_DSC1699a-001_zpsd339ae86.jpg

_DSC1693a-001_zps28680469.jpg

Thanks

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited:

LEDburn

Enlightened
Had a fenix that exhibited the same issue but never had an issue with it functionally. Mine had an awful tint anyway so wasn't too hard for me to put it down and not use it. As far as I can tell, it wont pose an issue, so long as you don't want to unscrew the cap a bit to lock it out - it may eventually wear off to a point where it may not be able to be locked out at all.

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
Had a fenix that exhibited the same issue but never had an issue with it functionally. Mine had an awful tint anyway so wasn't too hard for me to put it down and not use it. As far as I can tell, it wont pose an issue, so long as you don't want to unscrew the cap a bit to lock it out - it may eventually wear off to a point where it may not be able to be locked out at all.

I've just tried unscrewing the thread and it doesnt lock out at all. Not too happy about this because all the clearance TK35's are gone and i got the TK35 at a knockdown price as well.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
can you knock off that metal spur with some fingernail clips?

it's definitely a return issue, but since that's not an option.. oh well.. no biggie...

it's not gonna hurt anything, and personally, I wouldn't really care, but then I don't lockout my lights.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, those old TK35's are all but gone now. I doubt if Fenix will honor the warranty and replace it with the U2 version. Anyways, you could try filing that lump to smoothen it out. I suggest also using Nyogel or Silicone Grease to smoothen out the threads. Its still a pretty solid light, but that old version (like the one i also own) was subject to the "tint lottery" you either got a cool white one or the one with the freakishly green tint (in the lower modes anyways). I wasnt so lucky. But thats okay, the TK35 is turning 3 soon and still works as good as the day I bought it. I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for a bright light with the relatively short footprint and great general output and a tad bit of good throw.

Though I have to say that its not a good idea loosening the head of the TK35 for lockout:

1. water/dirt/dust could enter the threads.
2. the battery cage will rattle a lot...It already rattles even with the head screwed on tight!

The power switch is quite beefy enough to not "accidentally" activate. You'd have to drop it on its butt (which is a no-no since our old versions have plastic butts, new ones (the U2's) have all metal butts (alum) ) or have something hit it hard enough on its backside to activate it.

Last edited:

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I phoned the store and they are gonna give me credit toward my next purchase.