Quark Lego question

Deltaoutdoorsman

Newly Enlightened
If I purchased a quark 3 to 9 volt head along with the two AA body and the tailcap of my choice. Would that be all I would need to build a flashlight suitable to run two 14500 batteries, and what kind of output could I expect from such a setup?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I purchased a quark 3 to 9 volt head along with the two AA body and the tailcap of my choice. Would that be all I would need to build a flashlight suitable to run two 14500 batteries, and what kind of output could I expect from such a setup?

You know, what you could do is get a AA2 light then just purchase the head separately.

Potential problems you will encounter:
1. protected 14500's will be a "tight fit" when using them in the AA2 tube with the high voltage head.
2. using unprotected 14500's will run the risk of killing the 14500 closest to the head. (Quarks will suck the juice out of that one)

Benefits:
1. Better runtime than using 2xCR123's.
2. Has the option of using two regular AA's but wont be a bright as the head is for high voltage.

Possible alternatives:
1. 2xCR123 body and use 17670 cells, excellent runtime, similar output with the high voltage head, plus smaller than the 2x14500 setup.
2. Low power head (4.2 volts) then AA body using 1x14500. (this is how i rock my Quark (and most people here i guess))
3. Turbo Head (high power) and AA2 body w 2x14500
4. Turbo head (low power) with AA body w 1x14500 cell

If you just take caution on the voltages of the cells you use, you can pretty much setup your quark any which way you want. :)

Deltaoutdoorsman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the very thorough response I have never had experience with 17670 cells. But now I will do a little homework before I dive in.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can vouch for the gray ultrafire protected 17670, I use these on my TurboX body (2xCR123 body), they fit snuggly, but not super tight that it feels like it will break inside, just right. Also, cool thing about running 17670's is that in case of emergencies, you can pop them in your 18650 light and it will power it sufficiently. (I've used two of them inside my TK35 at some point)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Roadkills Lego designs and have copied a few. However, I run 2x14500s in my TurboX and haven't noticed a forward cell drain... they always end up with around 0.03V difference, but I always thought it to be a random slight cell difference thing... maybe I'll keep an eye on it. Also, I think RK meant to say "runtimes are better than 2xRCR123s/16340s."

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the share reppans, the reason i mentioned such was because my setup with the two unprotected 14500's on my Turbo X, I used it until it showed signs of low voltage (when the light cant hit turbo or high mode) So I took out my cells, measured the one at the back, it was still about 3.6 to 3.9 volts, the forward cell had only 1-volt left. Fortunately, i was able to charge it back to full health. (phew!)

On its original 2xCR123 tube, I have killed three RCR123's because the forward cell had dropped to zero. Normally I leave my light on overnight in moonlight mode, one morning, I noticed my Turbo X was off already, to my dismay, the voltage of one was about 2 volts (DOH!) and the 1st one was zero (translated: dead cell).

Learning from that, since then, when I run my Turbo X head on its original body, i use a protected 17670 cell. No more dead cells!

I still run the Turbo Head with two 14500's sometimes when I feel like it, at least its nice to know that there's that option should there be any need to run it that way.

How I just wish FourSevens would bring back their 18650 tubes. In this day and age, 18650's are the way to go when it comes to rechargeable lighting over longer periods compared to the smaller cells.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
You know, what you could do is get a AA2 light then just purchase the head separately.

Potential problems you will encounter:
1. protected 14500's will be a "tight fit" when using them in the AA2 tube with the high voltage head.
2. using unprotected 14500's will run the risk of killing the 14500 closest to the head. (Quarks will suck the juice out of that one)

Benefits:
1. Better runtime than using 2xCR123's.
2. Has the option of using two regular AA's but wont be a bright as the head is for high voltage.

Possible alternatives:
1. 2xCR123 body and use 17670 cells, excellent runtime, similar output with the high voltage head, plus smaller than the 2x14500 setup.
2. Low power head (4.2 volts) then AA body using 1x14500. (this is how i rock my Quark (and most people here i guess))
3. Turbo Head (high power) and AA2 body w 2x14500
4. Turbo head (low power) with AA body w 1x14500 cell

If you just take caution on the voltages of the cells you use, you can pretty much setup your quark any which way you want. :)

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting a Quark when my fun-funds get replenished, but I've had trouble deciding what model to get. At some point I will get a 2x CR123 light, but the Quark AA looks like it would be very versatile.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
I like using the high voltage head on 1 cell as it goes into direct drive giving you a warning to change batteries.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting a Quark when my fun-funds get replenished, but I've had trouble deciding what model to get. At some point I will get a 2x CR123 light, but the Quark AA looks like it would be very versatile.

Yeah, its worth to have at least one Quark. I would recommend to get an XPG-based 1xAA cell and run it with a 14500. You could get the new 2XAA XP-G2 flashlight, then purchase an AA tube separately. This Quark EDC i use was my first "next generation" EDC flashlight coming from EDC-ing Led Lensers. I have since purchased several EDC lights, but its this Quark AA I never leave home without.

Here it is, almost three years old now:
img2012121900121.jpg

And here are the other lights I carry around with me daily. :)(not in picture: Lumintop Hunter T5, iTP A3 Upgraded, PALight Z3 SS) Majority of my other lights, i keep at home.
img2012121900120.jpg

In the evenings i use the Quark AA 14500 as my night light and leave it on all night on moonlight...daily, yet one 14500 will last the whole week along with the daily use at work.

To think I have 7 more years of warranty left, so i just use it and use it. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like using the high voltage head on 1 cell as it goes into direct drive giving you a warning to change batteries.

I've been thinking about this, what happens to the output? Is it the same or lower? The only high-power head i have is a Turbo X head, but when i run it with my 14500, it cant get past mid, no High nor Turbo for this baby.