ZL H502(or any)DIY Beam Modifications

ToyTank

Enlightened
I'd like to see how people are modifying the beam practical or not:tinfoil:

Some fine CPF members discussing it in this thread gave me the idea to try my own.

Seems the most common complaint is the beam is too tall. I wanted to see if I could shape the top and bottom of the beam without just blocking that light.

I cut 2 pieced from opposite sides of a fresnel lens and jointed them as well as I could on a piece of clear tape then cut to fit on the bezel. I was thinking of what bifocals do and thought i'd start from there. For a test I just taped it on the bezel and gave it a go.

Shameless copy n paste:ohgeez:

I was thinking about it so I did a real quick and dirty proof of concept. It took longer to take photos, edit, upload yada yada.

This is with 2 layers of tape and a dirty scratched up old lens with a big ugly joint down the center. Normally IMO you'd want the lens turned 90 degrees for headlamp use, I have it like that for taking the picture only.

IMO with a little polish this would be a nice simple mod:shrug: It works better than the photos show- Cell phone camera

Stock
2012-12-18_19-11-56_988.jpg

Proof of concept Zebra eye

2012-12-18_19-11-38_10.jpg

Like I said quick, ugly I did not even cut the lens straight:eek:

2012-12-18_19-19-18_355.jpg

Edit:This is where I cut the lens-top is top. I cut there because I wanted to squish the top and bottom of the beam down. I think it went to far though as you can see in the photo. You really should be able to customize the shape of most light beams. Fresnel lenses historically are used for lanterns and lighthouses not sure why we don't see them more in flashlights.
2012-12-18_19-18-19_509.jpg

There are a few things I want to change on the next attempt.

1.Better optical quality lens, new and not scratched up and dirty-No tape over the bezel maybe water based adhesive on the bezel ring.
2.Not cover the whole lens-just a strip on the top and bottom.
3.focus is too strong the spill comes from the opposite side of the lens:crackup: This should make the shape less acute also
4.Ugly:eek: Not real proud of how the first one looks.

I know there are a ton of mods in the main thread. Feel free to post them here!

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H502 Beam Modification Discussion

i like your extremely (IMO) original idea :)

you are right, it is ugly, but it's a great start!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H502 Beam Modification Discussion

This is rad.

Maybe ill play along with something similar on my vintage H60w ;)

ToyTank

Enlightened

Thanks guys!

I'd love to see any attempt or ideas. I'm waiting for a new lens for the next one.

I think having a custom lens on a high quality diffuser film should be very doable!

ToyTank

Enlightened

Ok this is almost to where I'd use it. Can anyone recommend a glue that would be clean and safe? I'm thinking something like what diffuser film uses. I'm still using 1 layer of tape to hold it to the lens.

I cut this from closer to the center of the lens, it is less strong-same though top focuses light down, bottom focuses it up. I did not cover the whole lens, just the top and bottom 1/4 IMO it should block less light.

2012-12-29_04-06-13_329.jpg

2012-12-29_04-02-11_503.jpg

2012-12-29_04-04-25_901.jpg

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think your idea of using different parts of the lens from different distances from the center is a good one. A fresnel can almost be thought of as a flattened out aspheric. Since you can cut it, though, it allows for more "customization" outside of simply moving the source closer and farther from the lens' focal point.

Ideally, the beam for a bikelight would be intense at the top, fading out as it goes down, to end up wtih higher lux for distance lighting, and lower lux for just sufficient foreground lighting without washing out the distance lighting. I wonder if the goal for a headlamp would be similar?

Anyways, I'd be interested to see what your final findings are, with regards to modifying a concentric output to a non-concentric, more free-form output.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok this is almost to where I'd use it. Can anyone recommend a glue that would be clean and safe?

I'd use rubber cement. Rubber cement in one form or another is usually what's used to make product labels "sticky" on the stuff you buy in stores. Rubber cement is pretty good for a reversible adhesive, as you can rub it into a ball and clean it off the product.

Remember, you coat both surfaces, let them DRY, then press together...

ToyTank

Enlightened

I'd use rubber cement. Rubber cement in one form or another is usually what's used to make product labels "sticky" on the stuff you buy in stores. Rubber cement is pretty good for a reversible adhesive, as you can rub it into a ball and clean it off the product.

Remember, you coat both surfaces, let them DRY, then press together...

Thanks bolster, I'lll give it a try when I get around to messing with this again.