lux question

hahoo

Enlightened
will 2 stock tn 31s, shined at the same spot, at the same time equal the modded tn31s out put, or will it be more ??
i just got my 2nd one, to give to my brother for xmas, and was just wondering...

if so thats one heck of a mod he is doing...

jalal20

Enlightened
I don't actually think this formula makes sense, they will both be shining at the same spot which their LED is able to reach because of its LUX so even if you get 10 TN31s, they will be bright as hell but won't throw a single meter longer...

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I don't think what you said makes sense. They will throw much further.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Lux is measured at the highest spot in the hot spot...and the range to 0.25 lux is calculated from that #.

As the range is simply a function of the lux at one meter (cd) then the terms range and cd are equivalent ways of expressing the same thing...how far until the beam strength drops to 0.25 lux.

If using two 131k lux lights would then double the range...three would triple it, and so forth.

Theoretically, I guess that means if I need to see a mile (5,280') away, I could simply use enough 200' range SC600's to do it?

So, if I shine 27 SC600's at a target 1 mile away, it should be as lit up as if I shone one SC600 from ~ 200' away?

Or

Three hundred SC600's should be able to light up a target ~ 11 miles away to the same brightness as one SC600 at 200'?

If the above were true, it would be an interesting scenario. IS it true?

:D

Its true if all the above math is representative of what happens.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't "double the range" because it's an exponential function and double the power gives about half again the distance.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doubling lux doesn't mean double the throw.

Lux is candela at one meter.

The equation for finding out how far the flashlight will project its beam until 0.25 lumens, which is the equivalent of clear moonlight, is √(lux)*2.

TN31 does 113,000 lux, which means that its maximum range is ~672 meters.

If we double the just the output of TN31 while maintaining other factors, such as reflector size, emitter size/flux, etc., we end up with 226,000 lux. This comes out to ~951 meters.

To actually double the throw to 1,344 meters, you'd need 451,584 lux.

It's kinda hard to explain, but once you get the principle, it's easy to understand.