Ease Of Adding Kroll To MiniMag

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question because of its simplicity, but I know very little about the Mini Maglite, and I can't find the answer despite a lot of searching.

How easy is it to install a Kroll switch in the tail? The results of my searches seem to imply that I only need screw it in. Could it be that easy? Do the threads match? Is the spring the right size?

I'm hoping someone will grin and say, "Just pop it in."

Paul

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very easy, the Kroll simply replaces the MiniMags tailcap.

The Kroll is designed to fit on a MiniMag so the threads & spring are a perfect fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very easy, although some times the rubber piece takes a couple of tries to sink below the bodyline and form a good seal.

-Mike

On a side note, some Krolls seem to need a littly Nye Lube too. (Especially if they flicker)

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for giving me more complete information than "Just pop it in." And thanks for the grins and smiles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Bill.H

Enlightened
DO NOT "Just pop it in" You'll strip the threads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, seriously. I got a switch as a replacement part from a Streamlight repair dealer. It's the same switch, but has a little lug on the side if you want to attach something, a 1/2" or larger split ring should fit nicely, or one of those lanyards with the string ends - like used on some little cameras or the Twin-Tasks.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha. Okay, Bill. I'll be careful with my popping.

The switch with the lug you mention is an interesting alternative. Thanks.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,
It's that easy but be careful of cross-threading. The plastic (nylon?) is not that tough.
Wilkey

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Bill.H: All the Twin Tasks that I'm familiar with have a switch on the side, not the tail. Please provide a link to that Streamlight replacement part. I'd be interested in getting a few and seeing how well it works.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The streamlight replacement part is not for a TwinTask. It's for the Streamlight Jr.

http://www.streamlight.com/sl_junior_specifications.htm

Bill was referring to the lanyard used on the Twintasks and that it would work well with the lug on the switch.

BTW, I believe someone tried a Kroll on the Twintask 3AA and Luxeon Tasklight and it was either a near perfect fit, or a perfect fit.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Thanks, Doug, exactly what I meant but didn't say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I saw it on a display and since the place did repairs, I asked for the part. It was $1 more than a Kroll but there was no shipping.
I don't know who makes them, but the lanyard on my 3C Twin-Task and the lanyard on my daughter's camera are exactly the same.