Is Dereelight still in business?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last update on there web page was October 2012,my UK dealer still lists them and is out of stock of just 2 items.So they could be or someone has some other knowledge.

LowFlux

Enlightened
They just came out with the Xsearcher and the Nightmaster within the last few months.

Dplight21

Banned
In UK Dereelight is continuing its business. Dereelight torches are available with a choice of LEDs, brightness levels and tint. In where Luminus SST-50 LED DBS V3 is available. And some others are

Dereelight CL1H V4
Dereelight DBS V3
Dereelight C2H
Dereelight Javelin
Dereelight P60 LED Drop In
Dereelight Pills
Dereelight Aspherical Lens

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not seeing any reviews or people talking about their stuff.
You can say the same about Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics, Pelican, Petzl, Princeton Tec, Fulton or even Surefire. Does not mean they have closed up shop.

It simply means they do not do the new flavour of the month new or upgraded flashlight thing that 4sevens and other low volume manufacturers do.

Streamlight probably outsells foursevens (they supply over half the fire departments in North America and a lot of the police forces as well) yet have very few reviews. The last 2 threads I saw on Streamlight is asking why there is so few reviews.
Do you know how many Fultons are sold to the US Army every year? Standard issue yet you probably never heard of it.

Dereelight is based on the Surefire P60 with bored out tube to take 18650 cells. They have:
CL1H small head for easy carry;
DBS-T with a bigger head to increased throw. (predecessor DBS);
Nightmaster for pure throw. (predecessor Aspherical Lens);
Javelin for people who want to stay with AA batteries.;
What other model do they need?
As to upgrades Dereelight just offer a new pill does not do the 'This is the newfangled XPE, XPG, XML' model thing.

Nobody bothered to review the DBS-T because it is the DBS with a mechanical 2 mode.
Nobody bothered to review the Nightmaster because it is the Aspherical Lens with a mechanical 2 mode.

Many lights get reviewed because the manufacturer provided FREE lights for the review. Often they are carefully selected 'PROTOTYPES'. Production units may or may not meet the same standard as the CAREFULLY SELECTED 'prototypes' sent for review.
The companies I mentioned (Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics, Pelican, Petzl, Princeton and Surefire) simply do not play this game.
When you multiply the number of Dereelight bodies with the number of pills there is a fantastically large number of different 'models' you can build. Dereelight is a small company. They simply do not have the money to send 50 different 'models' to every reviewer on CPF.

Are they history?
You do not know how to type in Dereelight dot com and check if they are still taking orders? Or their US or UK retailers. (The UK dealer had already been checked earlier.)

Last edited:

LowFlux

Enlightened
LEDNinja makes some great points. Dereelight doesn't overwhelm you with different options or the new fad of side buttons or infinite brightness levels as controlled by a magnetic dial. They have done some changes from their original DBS models to the DBS-T and have introduces the 2 newest models of Nightmaster and Xsearcher but all in all they use mostly the same body design.

Compare to manufacturers like Jetbeam or Nitecore who releases a new design with every new LED and then don't offer support for old models because they lack the parts.

I only own 1 Dereelight, the DBS-T, as I was looking for a mid-size thrower (I don't need a Thrunite TN-31); I went with an XML as I like the flood and don't really need the punch of an aspheric or the tiny hotspot of an XRE.